Family of 4 (2 parents in their late 50s and 2 adult kids) stayed at Al Vivit between 2 and 5 July 09. I could not recommend a better place to stay than Al Vivit if you are visiting Venice. I have asked for a 1st floor room and have been given a suite (for 4 adults), which for the price of 109 euro per night + b/f is an exceptional value. Upgrade to the suite was at Al Vivit's discretion and was not guaranteed, but to me this flexibility shows the essential quality of a great customer care.
The points of distinction are:
- While away from Central train station (which many reviewers define as the most convenient stay in Mestre from logistics point of view), Al Vivit is located in a wonderful quite piazza Ferretto with no traffic, lined up with older style buildings, numerous cafés and shops, being the prettiest part of Mestre. Btw, it is only 15 min on foot from Central station and well connected by buses, taxis etc. Sure enough the reason you choose Mestre as a base for visiting Venice is not its pretty sites, but please keep in mind that area next to Mestre Central station is pretty grabby and will leave you in a depressed state and a feeling of bitterness for having to compromise your stay in Venice.
- I am also glad I followed reviews with advice to stay at Al Vivit, rather than Venice itself. In early July the tempreture in Venice was +35, and those days when we have visited Venice, I did not envy those tourists who had to carry their excessive luggage on overcrowded vaporreties (motorised boats on a Grand canal) and navigate their way to their "affordable" hotels (read "grabby") through tiny tangled streets of Venice.
- Al Vivit rooms are renovated and delightful - whatever you see on hotel website is what you get. The rooms are clean and tastefully decorated with new furniture. The bathroom was superbly clean and new. there is airconditioning, absolutely no smell of any kind and wonderful reception staff.
- there are numerous bus stops around Al Vivit and hotel receptionist will be happy to provide you with the detailed map of stops and bus numbers running to Venice piazza Roma. It takes circa 10-15 min by bus to get to piazza Roma, and roughly 20-25 min on Friday (market day) in a crowded bus. From there like everyone else you would take a boat to any stop along Grand canal in both directions (being Piazza St Marco for most tourists).
- Al Vivit receptionist will also provide you with the transport passes (to be paid for in cash only), which includes bus and boat transfers (we got ourselves 48 hour tickets, which does provide minor savings but unless you are absolutely certain you will spend all days in Venice, stick to shorter ticket (say 12 hours etc).
- Sales in Venice start 1st Saturday of July (4th July 2009) and discounts are quite heavy, i.e. circa 50% on clothes and shoes and 25-30% on gloves. Shopping is excellent with all major designer brands presented.
- Al Vivit distance from and to Marco Polo airport - you can catch a bus which would pass through Mestre and is very cheap; taxi ride is about 15-20 min at circa 30 euros for 4 people incl luggage.
- From Venice (Mestre) we flew to Nice - the only budget airline which does this trip is Swiss carrier Fly Baboo (departs from Marco Polo airport) - despite the funny name the service was exceptional for a budget airline. We got served canapes and water and coffee and even desert, and best of all the views over the Ligurian coast and Swiss Alps on a clear day are to die for (the plane fly at circa 7,000 m high so you can take nice photos).
- Al Vivit Breakfast - the best breakfast i have ever had in a European hotel for the price we paid (room + breakfast). The selection of cold cuts, pastries, yougurts, juices etc was superb - Al Vivit really stands out! and is a niche hotel in Venice accommodation market. The value of their service is unbeatable, no compromise is involved .
- Note there is no lift in Al Vivit, but they have a motorised lift to the 1st level to bring up the luggage.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone as the best option to visit Venice without a compromise.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- In the historic center of Venice Mestre, the 3 star Hotel al Vivit is pleased to welcome you to a prestigious palace from the early twentieth century, with 35 rooms and apartments complete with every amenity, facing Piazza Ferretto, close to the Toniolo Theater, the best shops and public transportation for the new Ospedale dell’Angelo and Venice. Passion and Cordiality Since 1909.Just a few minutes from Venice, Hotel al Vivit in Mestre receives its guests with passion and cordiality, a steady tradition since 1909 that has made the satisfaction of its dear clientele the main reason for hospitality. Hotel al Vivit is considered a historical establishment by the Region of Veneto. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Despegar.com, Travelocity, HostelBookers, HostelWorld, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Hotel Al Vivit reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Al Vivit Hotel
- Al Vivit Mestre
- Hotel Al Vivit Province Of Venice/Mestre, Italy