“Great value” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #35 of 64 Hotels in Mestre
Swanage, United Kingdom
“Great value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Easy to find and only a few mins walk from the centre of Mestre. Situated on the bus route straight into Venice (although a 25 min bus ride, was very, very cheap for a return ticket, sold over the hotel reception). Very friendly family run small hotel. The room was basically furnished but very clean. There was a huge selection of breakfast available (but not your 'full English'). A great stay for us and I would certainly stay here again

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Braintree, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

I recently stayed at the Hotel Garibaldi at first I could not find it and no one I asked seemed to know where it was. I got a taxi and paid 13 euros for a 10 min ride. I later found out that directly opposite the main train station (I came on the train from Rome) the No 2 bus stops just yards from the hotel costing 2 -3 euros this bus also goes directly to venice. I feel that the hotel should let people know about the No 2 bus.
I was met by a not that friendly female receptionist who more or less just showed me my room and went not even offering to carry a bag ( not that I wanted her too).

The room was ok but the walls are paper thin and you can hear everything people say in the next room. There was tv but all the channels were in Italian I think as lots of English people go to Italy they could have had one e.g a news channel in English. Bathroom was ok. Also I was annoyed by the cleaners coming round at 9am I could here a woman coughing as if to say I should get out of the room. As I was on holiday I did not want to rush around getting up to early 10am would be a better time to clean I felt pressurised to leave my room by 9am.

There was one member of staff an older man who was very very nice and helpful but the rest of them I found frosty and unfriendly. I think the next time I would stay much closer to the station the area around this is hotel is ok but basic. I would not stay there again.

Room Tip: don't stay there
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Gostivar, Gostivar, Macedonia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

Truly recommended ,few steps from the Mestre centro ,wonderful squre ,full with restorans,shops ,bus for Venice stop in front of hotel , reception staff are helpful ,good value for 3-stars hotel ..only breakfast was poor ....

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear guest,

Many thanks for you review!

With kind regards,

Grazia, Luigi & Stafff
Newcastle, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

Chose this hotel mainly because it is Thomas Cook recommended and because it was more or less in the right price bracket.
The first negative is it's actual location which is much further from Venice than anticipated.
Whilst the immediate area of Mestre surrounding the hotel is quite pleasant it is no Venice and never will be and this and other hotels in the town are purely trading off the popularity of Venice under false pretences.
Yes there is a good bus service into Venice which stops just outside of the hotel but don't expect a seat because it's always full up!
The hotel itself is clean enough but very dated and the bedrooms are small, dark and dismal.
The en-suite is a cramped, low quality shower cubicle and the towels supplied are derisory.
Plus points are the air-con unit and quite comfortable albeit small beds.
Finally the reception staff come across as very cold and not that helpful!

Room Tip: If you still want to brave it then request a room at the front of the hotel which will not be as qui...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

We are very sorry for the unpleasant experience you had in our structure. Luckily other guests are showing different reactions to our offer.

We are particularly surprise of the bad impression you had of mestre, test most of out guasta find nice ance very convenient to visit Venice.

Wishing you the best!

Grazia, Luigi & Staff
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

We chose this hotel because we wanted our own rooms but didn't want to pay the price of 2 doubles. We opted for Mestre because I have been to Venice many times where a good single room can be hard to find. We each had a clean room with a comfortable double bed, efficient shower and air conditioning. The Garlibaldi is in a good location with a choice of restaurants close by.The No 2 bus to Venice stops outside the hotel and takes under 30 minutes. You can connect to the no 15 to the airport at Mestre station. (for uk travellers make sure you are on the right side of the road!)The continental breakfast was good (boiled eggs, cheese, ham, fruit, yoghurt etc) The reception staff were all friendly, helpful and efficient. On the downside, the hotel does not have a lift but does have bedrooms on the ground floor. We opted for rooms on the 2nd floor and were helped with our cases. Our first impression was of a gloomy room that smelled of smoke but once the shutters were up and the windows were opened it was fine. I would definitely use this hotel again.

Room Tip: The hotel is on a busy road with a bus stop right outside. Ask for a room at the back or side.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear guest,

Many thanks for sharing this rich and detailed review with the other customers! We are pleased that you enjoyed staying with us!

Hoping to have you back soon.
Kind regards,

Marta
Montagu
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

My wife and I decided at the last moment to spend two nights in Venice before we boarded a cruise ship for a seven day cruise. Because of the high prices in Venice we looked at a place to stay in Mestre instead. We had a look on the web for a place to stay and our first choice was the Garbibaldi Hotel until we started reading the reviews which caused us to reflect if this was the hotel to choose. With much trepidation we decided to book mainly because of the very reasonable tariffs they offered. What a good choice it turned out to be. Luigi made us feel welcome immediately after a very traumatic trip from Brennen to Venice and was very helpful with suggestions for dinner that night. The room was small clean and very quiet with a small bathroom on-suite with all amenities. The staff was very friendly and the breakfast very good (their coffee machine makes the best cappuccino, I have ever tasted). I can really recommend this hotel for its location, its cleanliness, its friendly and helpfull staff. We loved it so much we booked two more nights after our cruise. Thank you Luigi for your help and hospitality

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear guest,

Many thanks for your review! We are really happy we succeeded in making the best of your stay!

Looking forward to seeing you again.
Kind regards,

Marta

Been to Hotel Garibaldi? Share your experiences!