“very average” 2 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hostel   |   Via IV Novembre 106, 22017 Menaggio, Italy   |
melbourne, Australia
“very average”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

our experience here was not plesent. after a Long day of traveling all we wanted was a nice shower and to put our feet up, instead we arrived at the hostel at 3pm to find that the hostel was closed from 2-5, pretty stupid time for a 3 hour break since most People arrive at this time, anyway after waiting outside for 2 hours the door was opened by a Girl who didnt even accknoledge us and wasnt friendly at all during check in. we went up to our "twin room" to find 2 bunk beds. if we had known we were staying in and paying for a privrate 4 bedroom dorm we would of just stayed in a 4 bed dorm. we opened our door the next morning to find the Girl painting a table blocking us inand the rooms were dirty,especially the bathrooms. i really dont understand how this place has so many good reviews None of the staff really looked like they wanted to be there and i think you had to book a room with a balcony to see the "amazing views" that everyone is talking about because we didnt seem them. the only good Thing about this hostel is that it was easy to find and in a good location

Room Tip: dont bother booking a "privrate twin room" because all you get is a privrate 4 bed dorm an...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
West Des Moines, Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

Overall, I really enjoyed my stay at this hostel this past weekend. But that was mainly due to all of the people I met and stayed with. The staff was so-so, some of them were really nice, and others weren't, they didn't seem happy to be working there. I asked one of the staff (I don't know any of their names) how to get to Breglia and about the hike to Rifugio Menaggia, I wanted to make sure it was doable in a day, and he wasn't too helpful. I hiked for 8 hours before hitch-hiking a ride back, so it was not so doable in one day. I had dinner two nights here, I didn't like them, they were backpacking meals (stew, barbecue, and mashed potatoes). They aren't open from 2-5pm, you can check in beforehand and leave your stuff in the dining room/social area. And they had breakfast from 8-9:30, which was a little late for me, I wanted to be out hiking by 8am, but the breakfast was sliced bread with spreads-jam, butter, and Nutella, juice, water, milk, coffee and tea. I would have liked something more substantial especially before going out and exploring all day. They also have a great lake view from the dorm balconies! But the rooms were not very clean, and the bathroom was always a mess, there were 8 girls sharing it, and they didn't clean it, we had to go ask for toilet paper, which means that they probably didn't even check and make sure it looked clean. I didn't have too much of a problem with this, I didn't use the shower, because it just wasn't clean, but I just wanted a bed to sleep in for the weekend so I could explore Lake Como. For a college student on a budget, this is perfect, and I met so many other backpackers and students like me, and we bonded over dinner, and that is what hosteling is, for me.

Room Tip: If you want a view: ask for one with a balcony, but if you want quiet, then a room on the back or se...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

Our experience here was bad from the moment we got there at 3pm. They are closed from 2-5 so we couldn't check in. You would think this is when most people come to check in so pretty stupid to close. Anyway after waiting around for a couple of hours we were greeted by a girl who seemed pissed off her little 3 hour break was over. Anyway we went up to our twin bedroom with ensuite to find that our room had four bunks in it. I went down to complain and the girl just said that's what all the rooms are like and that it just meant no one would come in the room with us. However I would've just paid for a Dorm if I had of known this. The next morning we had our 'free' breakfast. Some bread some juice or coffee. If u want cereal €1 pancakes same and eggs and bacon €4. And surprise surprise they didn't have pancakes or cereal so I had to get eggs and bacon or starve on 2 bits of bread. Anyway our stay here wasn't great the hosts weren't great the rooms weren't great. The only reason I give this two stars not one is because the food and beer is cheap and good at the restraunt at night. Although if your hungry you will have to wait to 8 before they sart serving!

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

Really easy to get to from the ferries w big signs leading you to it. Great location overlooking the Lake. Good food that they cook up every night (could be cheaper though in my opinion). Plenty of booze to serve, but it (sort of) kept shutting down @ midnight. Staff were friendly and good fun to hang w.

Room Tip: Room 4 had a great view of the lake
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

While on family vacation at Lake Como, we attended a cooking class at the hostel, with their chef Davide. It was a wonderful experience! He was very informative, patient, and good-humored, and adapted to the different levels of cooking experience in the group. We made fresh pasta and a pomodoro sauce, which we then ate for a great quality meal. I highly recommend this class if you are in the area, just call the hostel to arrange it.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

I have stayed in many hostels across Italy and I have to say that this is the most basic of them all. Having said that, it was very clean, the staff were pleasant enough and located perfectly, in order to travel to all the key towns across the lake.

We stayed in a room that was meant for 3 people, therefore we have 2 bunk beds. The sheets were provided to us at the receptions, which we then had to put on the beds ourselves. Everything was clean and we were provided with the necessities.

We only stayed one night - we ordered dinner from here, the meat BBQ was not great but the Tiramasu was amazing! The hostel had a very hostel like atmosphere, which is to be expected. There were a few evening activities and everything was reasonably priced.

I would recommend this hostel if you are the sort of person who is able to stay in any type of environment, even the most basic of them all. I personally wouldn't like to stay here for more than 1 night, as I would probably look for somewhere more comfortable. However if you are on a tight budget, and only care about a roof over your head - this is the perfect place.

Room Tip: No real tips.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

The staff is friendly.
The food is good, with a generous cook.
Rooms somewhat crowded. But it's a hostel, not a hotel. For extra luxury, you might have to go a bit further on the road.
Cozy common (dinner-) room. With an excellent playlist on the background.
Father John Misty and Kurt Vile in a hostel.
I'm sold.

• Stayed September 2013

Been to Menaggio Youth Hostel La Primula? Share your experiences!