“Relaxation guaranteed” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 46 Hotels in Massa Lubrense
Birmingham
“Relaxation guaranteed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

You look out of your room over to Capri. It looks so close you feel you could swim over there (trust me - you can't !). It looks almost unreal, the gentle chugging of a fishing boat slowly creeping across the vista, over to your left the olive clad hills with just the sound of the odd car meandering along the road. What many hotels would pay for that view, this setting. It's hard to imagine tiring of it. If you sit out on the terrace by the restaurant you can also look over the Bay of Naples to Vesuvius, though Sorrento is hidden around the corner. Fantastic.

I'm not really one for remembering names and who's who but obviously the owners spend a lot of time at the front desk and I have to say I have never come across a friendlier set of people at a hotel. Perhaps because you are a little bit out of the way and perhaps because it's a small hotel, you are more likely to ask about things to do and restaurants etc so there is more interaction but they are all so friendly and helpful and a couple of things that also make life easier are an agreed rate with a local taxi firm for trips to Sorrento and local restaurants who will pick you up and bring you back. Great this because some of the local restaurants are really very good. People will have their own favourites (Da Donna Fernanda for us) but it's doubtful you will have a bad meal anywhere and some will be exceptional. The hotel's restaurant, in keeping with the style of the hotel, is exclusive, expensive (if you aren't careful) and especially so compared to local restaurants, though they would no doubt argue the quality is higher - I wasn't completely convinced of that, given the local competition being so high from much cheaper restaurants, but there's no doubt you are treated in a way which is in keeping with a high end dining experience and there is also no question that the food is good and certainly presented beautifully. Perhaps I just feel more impressed with getting high quality food in simple restaurants ? Having said that, on the staff point, all the staff in the hotel are extremely friendly which does help the experience immensely. Breakfast is also good and, depending on what you prefer, there is a good variety. The fresh bread was very good i must say but, all round there was enough variety to satisfy most tastes and all in a very relaxed setting, outside if you wish with those great views. An excellent experience to start the day.

Going back to the taxi point, you probably have to make the decision as to whether to hire a car or not. Certainly the hotel is located some way from the local town and public transport can be erractic so I guess most people will get a car. I reckon about a third of all cars I saw whilst on holiday had a least one dent or scrape and I saw one local parking his car by basically waitng until he had hit the car behind before finally completing his maneouvre so if hiring a car, prepare well. The road from Sorrento is a succession of blind bends so the driver won't be enjoing the view much but concentrating on what might be coming round the next bend. If it's a bus, then you'll have to give way somehow because they won't ! I say al this because it almost seems strange to me to stay at such a relaxing resort and then subject yourself to such a stressful time behind the wheel but some enjoy that challenge ! Parking is very limited at the hotel but somehow it seems to work. Once in Sorrento though, you can get buses, trains and boats to anywhere locally (we got a boat to Naples - quick and easy).

The rooms in the hotel, and indeed the whole decor is quite minimalist with just enough decoration and furniture to give it the style to go along with the chilled experience sought. Our room was huge (as was the balcony with 2 sunbeds, a table and chairs and room to spare !) and the bathroom perfect for me, a large shower area and an easy to adjust shower (why do so many places find that an impossible dream ?). My wife found the bed a bit uncomfortable. I had no problem with it but then I rarely do anywhere so I'm not sure.

All in all a great place to relax with great owners and staff and a lot of style with those views to die for.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

We have just returned after a 12 night stay at the Relais Blu and words cannot describe how amazing this place is. We were staying there for our honeymoon and it more than exceeded our expectations. We arrived at around 6pm after a day travelling on the train from Venice and the first thing Bianca (The lovely woman who worked on reception) did was to take our cases from us and told us not to worry about checking in but instead to go out onto to the terrace and enjoy a welcome drink of Prosecco and some water to relax after our long journey. That pretty much set the scene for the rest of the holiday.

Location

You will not get a better view in the world - all the rooms and the terrace have the most stunning view of Capri and the sunset is to die for. The only slight downside is that you are fairly isolated - this was fine for us as we were on our honeymoon however if you like to explore it would be advisable to hire a car! There are some lovely local restaurants that will send cars to pick you up ( Nastro D'Oro is the best!) and as we were there for so long we took full advantage of this. It is approx 30 euros in a taxi to Sorrento - make sure you book this through the hotel as they have pretty good deals with the local taxi companies. There is a beach called Marina Del Cantone that you can get the bus to - there is a bus stop up a VERY steep hill that takes about 15 minutes to get to and then another 25 minutes in the bus. It's either that or 30 euros again in a taxi. It's okay - all pebbles with a few restaurants but a good idea if you like being at the sea. I believe there may be beaches that are closer however as we were there in October they were closed - I assume they would be open during the proper season.

The service was simply outstanding. Bianca and the other Italian girl ( I didn't get her name) who worked on reception were lovely and friendly and couldn't do anymore more for us. Guiseppe heads up all the waiting and bar staff and he is a real gem. He chatted with us every day was great company and he made sure that everything was just perfect whenever we had cocktails or a meal. All the bar and waiting staff were friendly, professional and went out of their way to help us.

The food was lovely (even if it was a little bit pricey) I looked forward to breakfast every morning - beautiful freshly made breads and pastries with cold meats, hams, cereals, cheeses, fruit and eggs and bacon cooked in any way you liked. Ha there was even Prosecco! Dinner consists of a snack (cheaper) and a la carte menu. Mostly made up of pasta, local fish and meat every time we ate there it was lovely. One of the highlights of the trip was our cooking lesson with Giuseppe and the Chef - we made ravioli , an aubergine starter and capresse cake to finish. At 100 euros each this was a real bargain - instruction from a top class chef and then we sat down and ate it with a bottle of wine. A great day especially when we had dodgy weather!

Rooms

We had a junior suite - a really good size with a huge balcony facing Capri that you can sunbathe on. The bathroom was a good size with a jacuzzi bath and walk in shower. The only slight downside and this depends on your personal preference is that the beds were really firm - I think this may be the same across Italy as we found the same thing in Lake Garda and Venice on the same trip. The rooms are light, bright and airy.

We booked a trip to Capri - this was 40 euros each and was booked through the hotel. Again, really good value we got picked up at 8.30 am driven down to a little port and then we got a tour all around Capri in the boat and then dropped off on the island for 5 hours to explore. We had a great day and would highly recommend that you do this trip - Capri is such a cool place - great shops ( ha ha save a little extra money for the shops - there is every single designer shop you can think of!!!!) great restaurants and great bars. Definitely a must see if you are in this area.

I can honestly say that after staying 12 nights at The Relais Blu this is the most relaxed I have ever felt - if you're looking for luxury rooms, a stunning view and great service then you must stay here.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Me and my wife got married in Sorrento in june and had our reception at Relais Blu. I cannot explain how sensational our time at Relais Blu was. Breathtaking ,unforgetable and you have to see it for yourself.

We started the aftertoon with canapes, which were all exceptional. We then moved into the dining room for our main meal. Once again the food was to the highest level. After this we moved up on to a roof terrece were we and the guest all had drinks and photo's with the sunset. Then moving to the pool area were had music and plenty of drinks.

The staff could not do enough for us and the guests, they really did go out of their way to make sure the day went perfect. The guests all said they had the time of thier lives and could not compliment enough the quality of the hotel, it's unbelievalble views, the food and service.

I could write all day but it still wouldn't say enough, we will certainly be back. Relais Blu gave us the best day of our lives

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Ascot
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Went to the hotel as a couple and expected this hotel to be a romantic place to visit. Well, it met that expectation a couple of times over. Its in a beautiful location with views to take your breath away.

From the moment we arrived we felt relaxed and the staff created the environment to be so all through our five nights staying here. Everyone was helpful, engaging and very flexible.

The food was great if a bit pricier than local restaurants but this is a classy joint

Sitting out on the terrace watching the sun go down was a highlight not to be missed

We had a great room. It was one of the best so pricier. Room 106. It has the most amazing view.

Great place and if you are not good with directions to it as some of the reviews have commented on, get a satnav or just use google maps. Its easy if you use your head

Room Tip: Room 106 is a special room so pricier but if you can stretch that gfar it has the most wonderful vie...
Newport Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

We were recommended this hotel from 8000+ miles away! We were so glad we took the recommendation....EVERYTHING... about Relais Blu was wonderful. So look forward to a trip back. It is a must if you are in this area. It is very private and relaxing. If you want to be around a lot of people with much going on in your hotel,this place is not for you.
Antonino & Bianca, and staff....grazie mille
The Robinson's

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Literally outstanding in everyway possible. I have just had a wedding there, and it could not have been better. The staff exude confidence, the food was spectacular (and we were a wedding party that likes, and knows, its food!) and everything went off without a single hitch. Nothing was too much trouble (even whipping up some child friendly food at no notice whatsoever!!). I cannot rate the Relais Blu high enough, 5 stars do not do it justice.
All I can say is, have your wedding there, they not only will not disappoint, but blow your minds...!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Northampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

We have just returned from my son and his wife's wedding in The Cloisters, followed by the reception and two nights' stay at Relais Blu. Having seen Relais Blu's website and reviews on Trip Advisor, I thought I knew what to expect, but nothing can prepare you for the stunning location.

At the reception, the tables were all beautifully set, the canapés were outstanding, the meal was delicious, the cake was scrummy, the wine was flowing. I am lost for words to describe the sunset. We even saw a firework display on Capri. All the staff were amazing, so professional and efficient, but in a very friendly and caring way. They organised a barbecue for us the following day which was great. The room we had was gorgeous with a terrace overlooking the sea.

Everything was absolutely perfect. I have now run out of superlatives, so I will just say a big thank you to everyone at Relais Blu, and to my fabulous son and his beautiful wife for finding such a gem and ensuring everyone had such a wonderful time.

Peggy and Terry O'Brien

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to Relais Blu Belvedere? Share your experiences!