“Tranquility” 5 of 5 stars

Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
31 attraction reviews
“Tranquility”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

This is a small but beautiful cove only reachable be sea or a 6 mile walk. We went by boat. Delightful.

Visited July 2013

Near London, England
9 attraction reviews
“Down fine, cove lovely, going back - oh dear!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

The path to Marina di Crapolla runs past our holiday apartment and I'd read previous reviews so we just had to visit. Down was easy but it's a good half hour of mainly steps til you reach this small secluded cove. It wasn't particularly quiet when we went (August) but nothing like the beaches you see elsewhere here with about a square inch of sand between everyone. There were around twenty of us. It's a pebbly beach so you pick your way down to the sea with care but oh, the sea when you get there! Wonderful. Boats occasionally come in but the Italians were telling them to back off in no uncertain terms!
Shade can easily be found until 11 am but then you have to go round the corner of the left side of the marina to avoid the sun. It's south facing so there's not much relief from the sun generally. The cove itself has boats and buildings built into the rock and a beautiful shrine further up the path.
We are not great sun/sea worshippers so we enjoyed a relaxing hour or so swimming and reading before attempting the return journey. Someone else has mentioned that as you come down you're thinking 'this won't be fun going back' and it's not. It took my husband forty minutes to return. Me? Well down is easy for me, going up in the heat of the day is not! The first bit up from the cove involves 700 steps (marked in fifties so you have some idea of how much torture is left) and there's no shade. Once past that you find shade and it becomes easier. There I was, puce in the face and resting, as a British guy jogged down past me. Did he jog back up I wonder? Another two guys (German I think) passed by asking whether the sea was good. Saw them again later as they passed me again going back up having had their swim! It took me two hours to get all the way back up but I couldn't have rushed it in the heat. There is an area nearer the top where some people had driven and parked their cars. Our path went on up from that to our apartment.
Wouldn't have missed visiting Marina di Crapolla and I'm very pleased I did it but don't underestimate the effort required coming back. Reminded me of our mountain trek in Peru but a lot hotter!

London, United Kingdom
“Awsome”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

I am 9 years old and I went to Crapolla and I thought that it was amazing. My dad found a little grotto tucked into the side of the cove. I walked down the stairs and there were lots of lizards. My sister started climbing up the rocks and couldn't get herself down. There is a small chapel near the end of the steps.

London, United Kingdom
“If you don't like crowded beaches....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

Try Crapolla! And the reason the beach isn't crowded becomes evident when you've descended the 700 odd steps in full summer sunshine enticed by the twinkling blue of the cove below and remark to yourself - this won't be so good coming back up. When we got down to the beach (stony) there were a few kayakers and another couple and child. That's it. Before long our party of 3 represented half the folk on the beach. After seeing the incredibly crowded beaches of Positano, Sorrento and Marina Piccolo (Capri) this was a revelation. And the cost? A little blood (some sharp rocks), lots of sweat but certainly no tears. We parked up by Torca near the large area by the church and for a cost of 1 Euro and seemed to get hours and hours of parking (?). I suppose I had thought it would be a popular beach parking spot but after doing the walk up and down I think few people actually do it on foot and take a boat instead.

If you like your beaches empty, the setting dramatic, the water clear and the added bonus of small swim in and swim out grotto on the left hand side then this is the place.

Alexandria, VA
“We'll never hear the word "Crapolla" the same way”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

Wow, wow, wow.
Very strongly recommended.
Hike starts from church parking lot in Turca, which is also the bus stop for Turca, with a big sign that says "Crapolla," so you can't miss it. Get a good local map, the one they give out at the tourist office is fine. You'll notice that shortly into the hike, there are two ways through Turca that meet up and then continue along the main path. We took the one that was marked scenic and seemed "larger," but it was overgrown with thorns. On the way back, we took the other path, which was fine.

The hike is "easy" and if you go the non-thorny route, should take no more than 60-90 minutes (we had small children) going down. At the end, to descend into Crapolla cove, are nearly 700 stairs, piece of cake going down, not as much fun going up. BUT --

It is absolutely worth it. One of the best beaches we've ever seen. A private little cove, crystal clear turquoise water, and tremendous views from the hike going down (and then, up). Bring lots of water/food/etc, there's nothing to buy, it's just a corner of the coast. Some people arrive by boat. Not very crowded.

Visited July 2013