“My room has bedbugs” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Marghera
Queens, New York
“My room has bedbugs”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2014

My husband and I stayed there for 2 days this month. While I was getting dressed to check out, I saw a black dot on my red denim. I shook my leg to get it off but it didn't come off. I saw it move and I took a closer look and IT WAS A BEDBUG. I freaked out. The room was clean but the bedbug situation is still haunting me. I wouldn't stay there again for free.

• Stayed October 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Fairway, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2014

Just returned from Venice Italy last nite and spent a lovely week at Hotel Roma. Quaint, charming, no frills, great location, super clean, friendly staff. Very near bus and train lines making travel to/from Venice easy and convenient. We enjoyed daily breakfast which is a typical Euro style meal, and then cocktails by evening out on the front patio. No need for a rental car here. Compared to the much higher priced hotels of Venezia.....this was an ideal place for us to enjoy Italy. The little neighborhood of Mestre was fun to explore in itself! Lots of tiny pizzarias, bakeries, bars and shops.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2014

Great hotel in nutshell. The people who run the hotel are actually the owners and it shows with the service like offering us a coffee in the morning direct to our table and the care taken to explain how to catch the public transport into Venice and the recommended eating places. The only draw back for us is the difficulty getting to the place from the train station as they recently introduced a tram which effected the bus going there. Their website has not been updated to reflect this. Also the free wifi access is only for 5 hours a period so ask for multiple vouches. The decor is charming if you like the 50s but the rooms are clean. There is a convenient laundry mat directly in front of the hotel which is great. The neighbourhood is general safe with kids and families roaming around during evening. There is a great gelato place around the corner and there are a couple of great pizza places located near by. I would recommend this place for the price and service offered.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2014

We booked this place as it had good reviews, inexpensive and easy to get to Venice. We arrived mid afternoon and the guy at reception was nice and helpful. We dropped off our bags in the clean room, got instructions to get to Venice and we took off. When we returned, we noticed one of our bags had been disturbed but didn't think much of it. The next morning, we noticed the bag that had been disturbed was missing a shirt, dress and sarong (sentimental value). We had taken a train from elsewhere in Italy so it was actually our footrest while traveling, this is the only place that our bags were out of our sight.

I don't know who came into our room and stole this stuff, but I am sure it arrived with us to this hotel and then went missing. We always double checked that the door was locked every time we went out too. We didn't get cleaning service either so I don't think it was the cleaning staff.

As for the room, it was large and clean but had no soundproofing. Each night I was woken up around midnight to noise within the hotel... not sure where it was coming from but I'm a sound sleeper so for me to be woken up, it was loud and it was every night.

Breakfast was mediocre as the coffee pot that I received had lukewarm water.

I would never stay here again and advise others not too as well. If you have too, I would bring a small video cam and record any entrance into your rooms. We didn't have proof but I know that 100% that the stuff was stolen from here.

Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2014 via mobile

Had clothes stolen from my room when I was out. Made the mistake of leaving my key at the front desk. Don't stay here. Don't stay here.Don't stay here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't bring anything that remotely looks new or they will take it.

• Stayed September 2014
Thornhill, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

This is the second time I've stayed at Hotel Roma and I would not hesitate to return for a third time. The hotel is conveniently located just a short bus ride to Venice with free parking at the rear. The rooms are small but clean and have all the amenities required including free WiFi and breakfast as well. The staff were friendly and spoke english, in case your Italian is a bit rusty.
There's a small, authentic restaurant located down the street, I believe it was called Pizzeria Sant'Anna.. Nothing fancy but the food was good and not far from the hotel.
I was happy to find this affordable hotel which allowed me extra $$ for the shopping in Venice. I would definitely recommend the Hotel Roma. It's a quaint, affordable hotel in the touristy, not so cheap, city of Venice.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

Given how expensive Venice seems to be in comparison to some other places in Italy, this was a good value. The hotel only about a 20 minute bus ride from the island, at 1.3€ each way. There is a small amount of free parking in behind the hotel for those with cars. Inside the hotel was such a clashing mix of decor, some nice some not. The staff were neither openly friendly, nor overtly unfriendly. The hotel and rooms had that musty old building in a humid climate smell. Both the room and bathroom were cramped, and the bed was uncomfortable. A/C was a must. Wifi was good, but you had to get a new login every 5 hours. At least the breakfast was okay, if a bit limited in choices compared to some.
Okay place to stay for those on a budget, but I would likely not go back.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Roma? Share your experiences!