“Good food, not totally consistent” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #40 of 80 Restaurants in Malcesine
Cuisines: Italian
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Good food, not totally consistent”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

We stayed in Malcesine for a week towards the end of September 2012 and my partner and I ate in this restaurant twice.It is in a pleasant, quiet location and under cover which was helpful during the torrential rain of our second visit!

The restaurant was good value for money with a complimentary aperitif and digestif. The pasta is homemade with plenty of choice for vegetarians like myself. I had a delicious caprese salad twice and my partner had a Spaghetti Bolognese starter both times which he declared the best he had tasted (quite a compliment from a connoisseur such as himself). I tried 2 simple pasta dishes which were above average. My partner had duck breast both times flambéed in balsamic vinegar. The first time it was cooked perfectly in his view but 2nd time round it was considerably more well done and less to his taste (he felt it was almost burnt). This was a shame as otherwise we loved this restaurant. Desserts were lovely and service very good (though we had some difficulty getting across our point about the duck - our fault really speaking very minimal Italian). All in all probably our best dining experience in Malcesine, at least the first time.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Braunton, United Kingdom
“ate here lots!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

Wonderful - great atmosphere and good menu - also you are welcomed with an aperitiv - prosecco or gingerina!! loved it!

Visited September 2012
“Excellent value for money”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

Plenty of good quality restaurants in Malcesine but many seem overpriced. This place however, offers excellent food at very reasonable prices. No lake view but instead an attractive courtyard with very efficient and friendly service.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Strathaven
“Friendly, relaxed and great wholesome food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

Myself and family loved this place, very friendly and simple. Not a massive menu but enough to please my mother and my 8 year old son and cheap enough to please my husband.

• Visited June 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Los Angeles, California
“The hosts outshine the food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

The people at Agli Scaligeri are WONDERFUL! So nice, so accommodating; they make it a really lovely night. The food is good. It's not amazing. I give them four stars because sometimes you don't need a fancy night out, you just want something simple and not totally touristy and this fits the bill. The food itself was good but not great (I had the veal milanese and a homemade pasta with mushrooms).

• Visited April 2012