“Rooms Small but Adequate” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel Sporting
2.0 of 5 Inn   |   Via Saroch, 23030 Livigno, Italy   |
Ranked #9 of 44 Livigno B&B and Inns
Glasgow, Scotland
“Rooms Small but Adequate”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2008

Having read some of the previous reviews I was a bit concerned. The rooms are extremely small, there is not an inch of extra room which forced me to be very tidy. The bathrooms are also very cramped, and on a couple of days (we stayed for a week) the drains were a bit smelly.

On the plus side, there was loads of very hot water and the shower in our room was quite powerful. The room and bathroom were clean. And the food was fairly good and in generous portions.

This hotel is fine if you really only plan to sleep in the room and spend the rest of the time on the slopes. If you like lazing around your room/hotel I would not recommend the Sporting.

• Liked — Right next to one of the main ski lifts.
  • Disliked — Couldn't swing a cat!
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Polish first
Devon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2008

After reading the reviews about Hotel Sporting I was a little apprehensive as some of them were quite poor. But hey, we got a cheap holiday off the internett and it was great. We have stayed in chalets that were far more expensive. The people were great and the food was good. The rooms were clean and chalet maids came in if you wanted every day. Yes, it was basic but if you want five star then I suggest people pay for it. I had a great holiday and 50% of that was down to the hotel, the food and the people who worked there. I would be more than happy to go back again and probably will. I expect good service when I am on holiday and I wasn't dissapointed.

Anita

• Liked — The service
  • Disliked — Could have been a little more modern
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Hove, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2008

My Wife and I stayed at the Hotel Sporting Room 6 in January 2008 on half board
We cannot fault this Hotel.
Location - Perfect
Skiing - great snow conditions
Food - Delicious
Hospitality - Superb
Room- Better than we expected
This should rate as a 3* Hotel.
OK, the rooms are a wee bit on the small side and the shower / bathroom in need of an upgrade but the hospitality and food is second to none.
On top of that, the staff are very friendly and the food is varied and delicious.
We would certainly not hesitate in recomending the Hotel Sporting and we will return for the 2009 ski season.

Ian and Natasha

• Liked — Location and Food
  • Disliked — Shower too small
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Leeds, UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2007

My husband and I have just come back from a week in Livigno staying at the Hotel Sporting through Inghams booked as last minute 2* AOA deal.

There are good points and bad points to this hotel:

Good Points
*Literally 30 metres to the Carosello 3000 gondola which gets you all across one side of the valley
*Staff - especially the head waiter - really friendly and wanting to help and make your stay pleasant.
*Food good, and plenty of it.

Bad Points
*The walls throughout the hotel are thin. Everytime a toilet flushes or someone takes a shower you hear it. You can also plainly hear people's conversations as they walk down the corridor.
*Hotel really could do with redecoration - very old fashioned and not in a retro way! Bathrooms in particular are small and many fittings are damaged.

Basically, the first room we were given was tiny - one person had to get out the way for the other person to walk to the door or bathroom. The bed (two singles pushed together) sagged so badly I was lying 2/3 inches below my husband (and no I don't weigh more than him!) Tiles/ bathroom fittings were cracked or broken - including the loo seat. Needless to say we complained and the next day we were moved to a bigger room (3 beds) which was in a better condition, and they put a wooden board under the mattress to help support it. Other things to note - lots of hot water which was good, towels small and like cardboard and only changed once.

Position wise the hotel is great for skiing, but it is a 25 minute walk to the main pedestrian area. Taxis are plentiful and cost 6 euros for wherever you want to go in resort, and the ski buses are free so this wasn't a problem really.

In all honesty I wouldn't stay at this hotel again. This was the 3rd time we have been to Livigno and we think its a great resort, but we have stayed in much better 2* accommodation here.

Overall I'd say its fine as a budget hotel, but not worth the brochure price charged by Inghams, and I'm not sure its even worth the Late Deal price. There was a price list in the 2nd room we were in and the hotel charges E38 per night. Hopefully the photos will give you an idea.

• Liked — Proximity to lift
  • Disliked — Noise & decoration
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
blackburn
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2007

Hotel Sporting is a comfortable, friendly and welcoming experience, it was a load better than some previous reviews, we where in a large group of twenty six from Blackburn, spanning appartment, singles, twins and quad rooms.

For 2 star it was excellent my only exception was to the odd day when smells of dirty drains not sewage emanated from the plumbing, (I think a good dose of mr muscle drain cleaner would sort it), the beds where made every day, the rooms tidied, and the linen and towels changed mid week.

The Hotel was great value for money and in a great spot just beneath Carosello 3000 and a great apres ski bar Stalet, great location.
My wife celebrated her birthday while we where there, and the owner of the Hotel made her a lovely cake, but would not accept anything for it, all the staff where very helpful escpecially Cybele who served our table.

The evening menu always had a good three selection of dishes every evening, pizza was absolutely fantastic and available each evening which was spot on for my eldest. Beer and drink prices were very reasonable as is the whole resort, three euros for a caraffe of red wine which was an excellent wine to accompany our evening repast.
Breakfast was buffet style a little basic but nontheless filling enough, english breakfast was an additional charge.

Lastly the coach journey is long and very twisty but the end result is worth it, the whole resort is very friendly, the instructors excellent, the lift system bang on, the piste preparation was great, this was my second visit and I can assure it won't be my last.

Stayed January 2007
Essex, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2007

It's not big and it's not fancy but Hotel Sporting is a comfortable, clean and friendly hotel and considerding the star rating and other reviews it was 200% better than I was expecting- and no smells of sewage!! All in all great value for money and a great location, I would recommend this to anyone.

I was in a party occupying 3 rooms and one suite- some rooms were smaller than others but all were comfortable with good sized wardobe, TV and plenty of heating. I was lucky enough to have a small balcony with a gorgeous view. Great location within ten minute walk of one of the main gondolas and one of the main teaching slopes with a bus stop directly opposite served by all three bus services for access to all spots of the town(every 15 mins until about 7pm).

The food was great with a good selection of dishes each night and staff who were very happy to swap for items from the main menu if you really didn't like the look of the options. Pizza was absolutely fantastic and the restaurant also acts as a local pizzerria take-away. Bar prices were incredibly reasonable compared with other places visited in the resort. Breakfast was a buffet of bread rolls and interesting carraway bagels, jams, pate, cheeses, cereals, yoghurts, biscuits, croissants etc plus lots of options of coffee, teas and hot chocolates and squash. Cooked breakfasts were available for a surcharge. One thing I will say is that the evening menu is not great for vegetarians- but few places in this resort are.

Only two not so positive points which are that the plumbing was a bit noisy and there are no lifts- hauling your bags up three floors after a long coach trip was not fun!

Stayed January 2007
Gloucestershire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2006

Four of us stayed at Hotel Sporting at the begining of march 2006 on half board basis booked through lastminute. (Inghams were the tour operator)

This is a good base for your skiing at the bottom of the carasello 3000 gondola and with a bus stop right outside to take you anywhere else in the resort.

The rooms in genral are fine. The food was good traditional stuff.
The public part of the restaurant was always full in the evening so can't be bad.
Great pizza - although you only get these once if you're half board - there's always lunch time!
Staff are friendly especially Teresa who waited our table all week.

So you might find a couple of niggles with your bathroom you get what you paid for.
Hotel sporting isn't claiming to be 5 star luxury.

We had good fun staying here.

• Stayed March 2006

Been to Hotel Sporting? Share your experiences!