“Great location, tired decor” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel Shelley Delle Palme
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Lungomare Biaggini 5, 19032 Lerici, Italy   |
Ranked #13 of 17 hotels in Lerici
Montreal
“Great location, tired decor”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

Very well located hotel, good breakfast, breathtaking view from balcony os marina, tired looking decor in rooms, hallways, lobby etc. could use a coat of fresh paint. Very slow elevator. Breafast served on 6th floor.... quite tiring climb as elevator was broken.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

177 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Herts, UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

I stayed here for one night on business in July 2012. My room was tiny - barely enough space to walk around the bed, although it did have a stunning view of the beach and promenade. The bathroom was so small that you could not sit straight on the toilet seat because the shower unit was in the way. I am not over tall, so how anyone over 5ft 8 tall is supposed to cope I have no idea. The room was badly in need of a lick of paint and the doors were yellowed with age. However, it was clean and the bed was rock hard (a positive for me). Unusually for Italy, the air conditioning was pretty powerful, which is just as well as it was 90 degrees outside.

The breakfast (served on the 6th floor) was sufficient, although the room was very hot when we were there, which certainly did not encourage anyone to linger.

When we arrived there was only one man who seemed to be on duty for all roles. He was receptionits, barman, parking attendant and meetings organiser. And he was on reception again when we left the following day. A little understaffed was my overriding impression of the place.

As a place to stay on business it was definitely not a place I would return to. As a very basic holiday hotel, the best thing to recommend this is its location right on the water in Lerici. However, don't expect any frills and if you expect to spend any time in your room, find somewhere with more space and a few more home comforts

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Fowey, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012 via mobile

Stayed for 2 nights while visiting my sister... Location fantastic, on the water but hotel itself is very worn! We stayed on top floor.... Room 501.
Breakfast included in room price.... Amazing views over harbour!

• Stayed March 2012
Phoenix, AZ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2011

We stayed 5 nights in Room 208 (on the 3rd floor), which was small but adequate. The bed was very hard, and only had 3 flat hard pillows, but we requested extras and they delivered 2 more, which helped. Surprisingly, we slept well. It has a fairly big bathroom, clean and modern, with a full-sized bath/shower. The A/C didn't seem too powerful, but was fine for us. If it had been hotter, it might have been inadequate. It is located on a pretty busy street, which concerned me when we checked in, but there was minimal traffic in the evenings and nights, so we had no noise problems at all. If you sleep really late, you might be bothered by it a bit.

The room has an excellent large balcony with fantastic views of the harbor, the castle, San Terenzo, and Portovenere. It had a table and 2 chairs, and a great retractable awning to block the sun when needed. We loved watching the sunset every evening from the balcony.

The lady who helped us when we were checking in was not friendly at all, but we never saw her again, and everyone else was very friendly and helpful. They were able to provide a small map to help us with hiking trails, which the visitor's center was unable to do.

There are numerous restaurants and bars within walking distance. We didn't have any problem with unfriendly staff. Some of the restaurants were very busy, so the staff did not have time to chat. We did try to speak the little bit of Italian we know, but enough English was spoken that it wasn't a problem.

We found Lerici to be a delightful little town, with plenty to do for 5 days. We took the ferry to Portovenere and then to Cinque Terre. We walked to San Terenzo and wandered and had lunch. We took the bus to Montemarcello and hiked down to Bucca di Magra and back. We hiked from Lerici to La Serra, then to Tellaro, and back to Lerici. The castle in Lerici has great views and is very interesting. I agree with previous posters about the swimming, as the locals do swim in the harbor near all the boats, and lay on rocks. There are some sandy beaches for a fee a little ways away. It might not be the best place to go if laying on the beach and swimming is your primary goal.

Room Tip: Get a room with a balcony.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Cambridge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2011

My husband and I have just returned from our magical wedding at Lerici castle and honeymoon in Forte dei Marmi (30 minutes from Lerici by car and well worth a visit for the shopping alone!). During our days in Lerici we stayed at Hotel Shelly - recommended to us by our wedding planner because of its prime location in the centre of the town and its proximity to the castle. It really is superbly situated, right on the sea front with its own private beach/sunbathing area directly in front of the hotel. You can park in a secure and private car park about five minutes walk away for a daily charge or the hotel will give you a free parking pass enabling to to use any of the public car parks in the town. The hotel itself is clean and airy, some of the rooms have been recently re-furbished so make sure you request one of these on booking and all offer spectacular views of the Gulf of Poets and the castle where we got married! We were given one of the side rooms which are larger than the others with two bedrooms and two good sized balconies. The bathroom/shower room was also very clean and spacious. Because of its side position our room kept lovely and cool during what must have one of the hottest Septembers in Italy on record.

Because of the occasion our family and friends also stayed here. Our wedding party practically took over the hotel. In fact we reserved our ten rooms almost a year in advance to ensure we could all be at the same place.

Maybe I was expecting too much from a three star hotel, but considering the occasion and that they were generating quite a lot of business from our stay at an off peak time of year I was expecting a very high level of customer care. This I didn't get. Before I say any more I must say the catering staff in the amazing top floor breakfast room were lovely. I couldn't fault them. However the reception staff were seriously lacking in customer service. On arrival I announced the reservation for my now husband and myself in italian and was met with a a rather miserable response. Clearly they would have recognised my name and would have been aware of the occasion as I had been emailing them constantly for almost a year, but I got nothing. No congratulations, no smile even... Shocking. Our family and friends were also met with similar responses and throughout our stay there was no warmth, no interest in our wedding, nothing that would make our stay at Hotel Shelley (a hotel with so much potential) extra special. Are they resting on their laurels a little with regards to their prime position? Possibly but surely customer service is THE key to success? I found them very unapproachable and even gave up trying to talk Italian as I found them quite indifferent and rude when I did. The final straw which is mentioned in my mother-in-law's review below is that on the day of the wedding as I left the hotel on route for the ceremony at the wonderful castle with my bridesmaids and father all dressed in our matrimonial finery there was no reaction from the reception staff! Totally unbelievable.

We refused to let the hotel staff ruin our stay and time in Lerici so please do not let this put you off visiting what must be one of the prettiest little seaside towns in Italy. Our whole time here was magical and there are so many pizzerias and cafes to eat at in the main piazza and the sea is great to swim in with some lovely beaches just further up the seafront past the hotel. My husband and I were sorry to leave Lerici when we did because it is really is a very special place. We highly recommend hiring a speed boat dinghy from the harbour and taking a two hour trip around the Golfo dei Poeti - SO beautiful! And the castle with its view of Lerici and the cinque terre is stunning but make sure you take the lift hidden under the castle just past the cafes, it's a long walk up there! Especially in a wedding dress!

I would give the location and hotel 5 stars but due to the awful level of customer service from the reception staff I can only give it three stars.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the refurbished rooms.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2011

Our daughter was marrying at the castle in Lerici so we made a block booking for family and friends at the hotel. It is in a fantastic position just across the road to the sea. It has a private sunbathing deck with swimming accessible from steps down from decking straight into sea which was so convenient. The bedrooms were large and airy with lovely balconies overlooking the beautiful coastline. The breakfast staff were friendly and welcoming. Only one person in reception was unfriendly - all the rest were helpful. Although there is not a car park at the hotel you can either pay for parking in the hotel's garage a 5 minute walk away or the hotel will give you a free car parking ticket for a public car park which is about 12 minutes walk away opposite the sandy beach area. We would definitely return to this hotel.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Stafford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

Having just returned from Italy we stayed for two nights at the Shelley Hotel along with family members to enjoy my sons wedding at the Lerici Castle. The wedding was perfect at the castle however the staff at the Hotel were dismal. I cannot recollect staying in a paying residence and feeling so unwelcome! Bearing in mind the money that the guests staying for the wedding were bringing in there was at no time any enthusiam towards us, in fact the opposite. The receptionists were unfriendly and curt. My daughter who was bridesmaid said that even as they left the hotel for the sevice at the Castle they were not even acknowledged.
How sad just a small token n the room or a just married table set for breakfast - but no nothing. The Shelley Hotel may have a superb location but they need to be warned that Customer Care counts for more.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Shelley Delle Palme? Share your experiences!