We stayed 5 nights in Room 208 (on the 3rd floor), which was small but adequate. The bed was very hard, and only had 3 flat hard pillows, but we requested extras and they delivered 2 more, which helped. Surprisingly, we slept well. It has a fairly big bathroom, clean and modern, with a full-sized bath/shower. The A/C didn't seem too powerful, but was fine for us. If it had been hotter, it might have been inadequate. It is located on a pretty busy street, which concerned me when we checked in, but there was minimal traffic in the evenings and nights, so we had no noise problems at all. If you sleep really late, you might be bothered by it a bit.
The room has an excellent large balcony with fantastic views of the harbor, the castle, San Terenzo, and Portovenere. It had a table and 2 chairs, and a great retractable awning to block the sun when needed. We loved watching the sunset every evening from the balcony.
The lady who helped us when we were checking in was not friendly at all, but we never saw her again, and everyone else was very friendly and helpful. They were able to provide a small map to help us with hiking trails, which the visitor's center was unable to do.
There are numerous restaurants and bars within walking distance. We didn't have any problem with unfriendly staff. Some of the restaurants were very busy, so the staff did not have time to chat. We did try to speak the little bit of Italian we know, but enough English was spoken that it wasn't a problem.
We found Lerici to be a delightful little town, with plenty to do for 5 days. We took the ferry to Portovenere and then to Cinque Terre. We walked to San Terenzo and wandered and had lunch. We took the bus to Montemarcello and hiked down to Bucca di Magra and back. We hiked from Lerici to La Serra, then to Tellaro, and back to Lerici. The castle in Lerici has great views and is very interesting. I agree with previous posters about the swimming, as the locals do swim in the harbor near all the boats, and lay on rocks. There are some sandy beaches for a fee a little ways away. It might not be the best place to go if laying on the beach and swimming is your primary goal.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel Shelley is located in a strategic position in front of the sea and offers the warm welcome of a private residence and modern services for meetings. All the rooms are equipped with private services, direct phone, tv, balcony with panoramic view on the "Gulf of the Poets". Bar, breakfast with panoramic view, meals for excursions. In summer time is available a large terrace right on the sea available with private access to the sea. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Despegar.com, Odigeo and TripOnline SA so you can book your Hotel Shelley Delle Palme reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shelley Delle Palme Lerici
- Shelley Delle Palme Hotel