“Won't be going back in a hurry” 2 of 5 stars

Hotel Palme & Suite
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Don Gnocchi 28, 37016 Garda, Italy   |
Ranked #42 of 49 Hotels in Garda
Derbyshire
“Won't be going back in a hurry”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

I booked the Palme hotel for my friends wedding. I have never been to Italy before so this was my first experience of the country and wasn't a pleasant one.

When I got to the hotel (after a very early start to the day) I was told my room would not be ready for at least another hour. Not brilliant as I wanted to be able to chill out! After finally getting my room, I have to say first impressions were not good. The rooms are very out dated and still hadn't been cleaned properly. The room also smelled really bad of smoke, which I was not impressed with as it was a non-smoking room. After getting to my room, it became apparent that the reception staff had not given me a key to work the electricity in the room so off I went back to the reception for this. I then went back down a few minutes later as my 'free' safe was locked and I couldn't use this. After several visits back to reception about this, I lost the will to live after always being told someone would be up later! The hotel reception staff should definitely be sent on courses in PR and customer services, it was like talking to a brick wall at times.

The entertainment was interesting, especially the female singer. Although I recognised the songs, I couldn't tell you what it was she was singing. It reminded me of the pub singer section of Shooting Stars. There were many different nationalities staying at this hotel which was interesting, although I have to say I don't usually like staying in a hotel where individuals from the UK is a minority.

On a plus side (and why I scored it a 2 and not 1) the breakfast was ok and the bar staff made a lovely bellini!

I don't usually come on these websites and leave comments but I have to say that this place (and more the service that you got from the reception staff) left me with a bad taste in my mouth and would therefore urge people to think twice before booking this place. I certainly will never go back.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

Room large but tired furniture bed comfy it's base supported by flat wooden boards. Bath room bad cracks in sink and bidet but very large double doored shower appreciated regular towel changes daiy and plenty of loo rolls. Domestic staff very friendly and room cleaned daily. Balcony very sorry for itself with very battered metal table and plastic chairs. Food adequate but very samey not much variety and don't expect the toaster to add any color as long as you like your eggs fried you will be ok drinks with meals cost extra. Poolside very rough and desperately needs attention daughter cut sole of foot coming out of water. Not enough sunbeds but ok quality. All staff very helpful and hard working except reception who need to be more approachable and lean to smile. Be aware when you arrive at the hotel you will need to py a local tax. Not somewhere I would go back to. Bin lorry comes most mornings before 6 and will wake you up so be prepared for iterupted sleep

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

Could not fault the cleaning in our room on the 3rd floor, even behind dressing table I had to rescue my belt from behind, bathroom always clean and fresh, plenty of towels. Food was fine, huge packed lunches! some repetitveness but what do you expect for 52 euros/pp half board in july!? Staff attentive and friendly. Yep on the bed bugs, but matter WAS dealt with, it happens in the best hotels-I've worked in a few!! Best advice try a little italian, a little tipping and a big smile-you'll never be short of a bowl of peanuts at the bar-I'd return in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Quieter at the back, great for watching coming and going and view of la rocca (which is well worth t...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
uk
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

We were a bit concerned about booking this hotel given its mixed reviews. However, we did have a good stay here this July for a week. The location is fantastic with only a five minute walk to the lakeside. That said, this is a no frills hotel that really feels like it caters for Germans only. When we arrived on the Sunday, the staff spoke in German and we answered explaining we were English. "Ah English!" she said and then continued to speak in German! Thankfully I knew enough German to get through the checking-in process. Also the food caters mainly for Germans (which was fine and plentiful) and so is the evening entertainment with German songs in full swing until 11pm. I got the feeling that the majority of guests were frequent returnees with one holiday company and whilst they are satisfied with the service, nothing will alter and that includes the tired decorations. The breakfast process is chaotic but somehow works but it would have been nice to have the process explained prior to our first experience. We walked in and watched others grab cereal before handing to a table. We followed suit but noticed most were reserved by this German tour company and finding a free table wasn't that easy. It was quite annoying to see so many reserved because even on the most busy morning, only half these tables had anyone on them during our sitting. Another experience I didn't like was the on the first morning when we had just sat down with our cereal and fruit juice - The head waiter kept eyeing at us and then came over and asked for our names with a tone of suspicion. I got the feeling he thought we were backpackers whom had gatecrashed for a free breakfast! Not really a good impression which could have been avoided if someone was there to welcome the guests. Apart from that, the stay was fine although we didn't get the room we had requested for the first night but were moved the following day when a spare room became available with no problems.
I would consider this hotel again but if the weather had been poor and we had to stay more at the hotel, I would have have kicked myself for not choosing somewhere with better amenities.

Lancashire, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

Stayed here for 11 nights early July. Had previously stayed at the Palme four years ago when I thought it cheap 'n cheerful - basic rooms but you get what you pay for! However, in the four years I'm afraid it has gone downhill a bit.
Our room on third floor at the back was very basic - could cope with that but for most of our holiday the toilet did not work, despite repeated requests to Reception to have it dealt with. Tho' I'm not the fussy type, it was noticeable bathroom floor and shower were not cleaned whilst we were there, neither was the carpet swept (bought cleaning wipes at supermarket!).
Evening meal is at two set times, 6.30 and 8.00 - chose 6.30 cos of the amount of time it took: waiter service for 1st and 2nd courses took forever and we often didn't get out of the restaurant until 8.00.
However... I feel problems with restaurant and the cleaning issues are both down to staff cutting issues - only 6 waiters to cater for a huge room (according to one guest, there used to be 12). The Restaurant Manager, a lovely helpful chap, worked so hard, all the hours there were, and I felt so sorry for him - not his fault he's understaffed! Similarly, felt the cleaners were only given an insufficiently short time for each room.
Third time in Garda- beautiful place and handy for trips to Verona, Venice etc. Will definitely return in a couple of years or so, but most definitely not to this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back or side, and on the highest floor possible.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

The resort is absolutely beautiful, perfect! I stayed in lake Garda, Garda for 12 days, it was fantastic BUT Hotel Palme really made the holiday feel unsatisfactory, I would never ever recommend this hotel to anyone due to various reasons: firstly the rooms are extremely unclean, as I said we stayed for 12 days and for them 12 nights not once were the bed clothing changed, hoover wasn't done before we arrived or during our stay, lots of cob webs with dead spiders in them, loads of damp in the bath room (it was very enclosed, and stuffy in the bathroom), stains on the carpet throughout the whole upstairs.

Secondly the food is very repetitive, I had to eat out on a number of occasions due to the standard of the foods, at breakfast everyday you get under done fried egg, greasy bacon and various types of breads, cereal with warm milk and hot or cold drinks, the evening meal is very unappetising, you begin with a basic salad, second course, main meal, and then dessert (not much choice for dessert), the meats and fishes severed didnt taste nice at all, many people complained amongst themselves. If you're vegetarian the menu does not cater for you at all! You were not given a free drink at dinner, you have to pay and this was where most of the money went, that's also another reason why I ate out

Thirdly one night I went to close the curtains, I gently pulled the curtain and the whole wooden pole fell off and nearly knocked me out, defiant danger hazard! Then I saw various pieces of furniture broken eg. the head board was broken and stuck back together with thin tape. There was also rumours that on the first floor bed bugs were in the beds, and some people had to get there bed bug bites examined.

Fourthly there wasn't a fridge or kettle, and due to the hot climates you would like to buy bottled water and put it in a fridge to stay cool till needed.

Finally I would 100% recommend the resort but most defiantly not the hotel, no one should have to stay in those standards!
Lake Garda is truly breath taking and very worth seeing.

• Stayed July 2012
South West England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

Just returned from this hotel and cannot fault it. We did not pay 5 star prices so we got what we paid for. Yes, there were many Germans staying there, but in my opinion that makes for a better vacation, as opposed to a hotel full of manly Brits. We had a room facing the front of the hotel, which had views over the garden/pool area and a limited view of the lake. Having certain dietary requirements the dining staff were most accommodating. We certainly would not have any problems in returning to the hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front overlook the pool areas.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Palme & Suite? Share your experiences!