“Try the "Cicchetti"” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Paris, France
“Try the "Cicchetti"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

My husband picked this place because it had so many positive Italian reviews. The concierge at our hotel would only say, “It’s very typical” and no more, but we are VERY glad we went.

It is a very simple place, nothing fancy. After we sat down we were lucky because a well dressed Italian couple came in (it turns out they live in the general area), and the man very kindly mentioned to us in English that he “recommended the Cicchetti” (appetizers). This turned out to be a fabulous recommendation! We took a sequential series of about 5 different smaller-sized seafood dishes, all very different and unique, and extremely delicious! These are mostly seafood dishes that use local ingredients in ways I had never tried before (like pine nuts, olive oil, fresh lemon juice, fresh tomatoes, rosemary and so forth) with the seafood. Each was unique and the flavors blended and popped in a yummy way. (I never would have ordered any of these dishes individually, since things like “cod” don’t normally appeal to me.) But somehow, the way these dishes were prepared, it was amazing! Both of us really enjoyed each dish. It was a very special culinary experience for me. Normally, I am satisfied with simple fresh grilled fish and vegetables, but honestly, this knocked my socks off (it was outstanding) and I’ll always remember it. We shared the series of 5 "Cicchetti" since it is very filling, and my husband also ordered a seafood pasta dish that he enjoyed.

One thing to keep in mind is that they have a pretty limited wine list, so maybe you would want to bring your own wine to enjoy with the Cicchetti, just a thought. I’m pretty sure they would allow this, the service is very friendly as is the atmosphere. (It is very simple, so if you like fancy dining with white linen tablecloths, this would not be the place to go; also, put "Querceta" as the city in your GPS to find it, adjacent to Forte dei Marmi.)

• Visited August 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

80% Recommend
Seattle, Washington
“Si mangia bene”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011

Thankfully I had spot checked Google earth before attempting to find this restaurant since my GPS unit didn't even recognize the streets we were traveling. Easy enough to find if you remember that it's the Aurellia exit off the Autostrada and then go through two roundabouts (which are awesome and I wish we had more of them in the US). Anyway, once we got there we were greeted by the delightful waitress and chef. We enjoyed our Saturday afternoon lunch which consisted of multiple seafood delicacies. Our favorite dish was the baccalà marinato (marinated salt cod) a traditional plate from the province of Massa Carrara. We also enjoyed the squid ink pasta (as it turns the chef is from Venice so is gifted in this traditional recipe from Veneto). Other dishes we sampled: acciughe fritte (fried anchovies), calamari ripieni (stuffed squid), baccalà fritto al rosmarino (fried cod with rosemary), and, tordelli di carne (meat raviolli). For desert we enjoyed the torta di pere e cioccolato (homemade chocolate pear cake). All of this great food, with wine, bottled water, and coffee for the two of us came to 49 euro (an amazingly good deal considering the amount and quality of food we were served). It was nice to enjoy the food outside under a canopied structure with a view of the mountains as a backdrop.

• Visited September 2011