“Hotel is in the middle of the city, very close to the old town. I would recommend this hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Europa

Save Saved
You added Hotel Europa to your Saves list
Hotel Europa
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Corso della Giovecca 49, 44100 Ferrara, Italy   |
Ranked #14 of 38 hotels in Ferrara
Tuzla, Bosnia and Herzegovina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2011

I spent 6 days in Ferrara. Hotel is in the middle of the city, very close to the old town, 15 min walking distance from numerous attractions of the old town. Room was small but sufficient for me. Wireless internet is almost useless but you can use hotel wire network close to the reception. Breakfast was excellent After, you can spend some time in the nice hotel cafeteria. Very polite staff. In the circle of 500m there are several parking. Some are free, but far (app 400-500m from hotel). Close to the hotel there are private parking 10-15E per day. All in all for 3 stars hotel this is quite enough. I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Hotel is in the middle of the city, very close to the old town
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business

85 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Spokane, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2011

We stayed at the Hotel Europa for a few days while touring Ferrara. We had heard that some of the rooms were rather small, but ours was quite large and provided us with everything we needed for our visit. (There are also some apartments that are perfect for an extended stay.) The location is ideal, just steps from the Este Castle, the museums, and the excellent restaurants. The room rate included a breakfast buffet, featuring breads, cheeses, cured meats, juices, tea, coffee, pastries, fruit, and even hard-boiled eggs. But the best part of the hotel was the incredible service. Everyone, from the front desk staff to the maintenance technicians, were warm, welcoming, and hospitable. From dinner recommendations to sightseeing advice, every request was met with a smile. The night desk manager even provided breakfast for us when we had to depart the hotel at 4 AM for an early flight! Simply outstanding! Note: Private, off-street parking is available for 10 Euro.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask about the size of the room when booking.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Bellevue, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2009

We stayed 4 nights at Hotel Europa and enjoyed the visit very much! As others have stated, the location is fantastic! The staff was very helpful and courteous. Our room was by far the largest we have ever had on many stays in Europe over the past 35 years! It was furnished with period pieces and had been part of the G. Verdi suite when he lived in the hotel. We had booked a handicapped accessible room and the one pictured on the brochure (and website) was the one they gave us!

Other reviewers criticized the breakfast room and the food. Our experience was very different. The breakfast room is a part of a lovely adjoining tea and coffee shop in the real Italian style. The food was typical of the breakfasts in the several 3-4 star hotels we have stayed in recently all over Northern Italy--nice cheeses, fresh fruit, lovely pastries, yogurts, excellent cappuccinos in cheerful surroundings

Word of warning! Remove the Oriental scatter rugs from beside the bed and at the foot of the bed. We did not remove the one at the foot and I fell the last afternoon of our stay and broke my arm!

This accident really showed us a side of Ferrara and Hotel Europa that we had not expected to see. The hotel staff was very helpful and the emergency medical system works very well! The staff even helped arranged a car and driver to drive us to our next reservation because I could not have pulled myself up into the train with the heavy cast on my arm. Sure glad that we buy travel insurance!

We would love to return to both the city and Hotel Europa!

• Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
Venlo, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2008

Just thought I would add some information with respect to the previous reviews.

I actually had a large room, which was nice.

The hotel is located at the very edge of the charming, nice old center of the city. However, it is almost 30 minutes walking from the train station. The bus stop almost in the front of the hotel is very practical. You can take buses of lines 1 or 9 to go to/from the train station. A one way ticket costs €1, and are also available from the front desk of the hotel. I saw someone else buy a ticket from the driver in the bus, but I think you will need exact change for that.

Note, that the last buses in the evening ride around 20:00h, and buses are less frequent on Sundays. Other than that, I've used these buses with satisfaction.

When leaving the train station, press the "stop" button when you are in front of the castle on your right. You can't miss it. You will then stop at the bus stop very close to the hotel.

The castle is very close to the hotel. It has a castle-moat around it, with non-moving water. This probably accounts for the number of mosquitos in the hotel. My room didn't have any ventilation, so I didn't have any choice but to open the windows for at least 5 minutes a day to let in some fresh air. This would always result in the presence of mosquitos in the room, and left me stung quite a bit at the end of my stay there.

This hotel could do with a simple ventilation system, then the windows would never need to be opened. The musquito-problem is likely not to be so great in other months of the year, of course.

Hotel staff did insert such an electronic anti-mosquito device into the wall socket in my room without my asking for it, and that was nice.

The furnishing of the hotel is a bit old fashioned, like 1970's. Dark brown wooden furniture and stuff.

The airconditiong also looks quite old, but it worked well with temperatures above 30oC.

The noise of the window shutters that was mentioned previously didn't happen on my stay. Probably because there was very little wind when I was there. The window shutters can be locked into position fully open or fully closed. I saw that several guests left their shutters half open. Add some wind, and then of course the shutters will make a noise. I don't think the hotel can be blamed for that.

Stayed September 2008
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2008

We stayed in room #7 at this fairly dreary business hotel, located on a busy street in Ferrara.

Our high-ceilinged room was on the back of the building. Shutters banging in the wind awakened us and others (we learned at breakfast) several times during the night.

Breakfast was a creepy experience as it was served in an uninviting room and we were the only tourists among a bunch of German businessmen.

The one big and pleasant surprise at this hotel was that when I asked about internet access, I was directed to a computer in a private room the use of which was free to guests.

This place isn’t bad, but I wouldn’t stay there again.

We did, however, enjoy two good meals at Ristorante Woodpecker, Via Saraceno, 14. This place, popular with locals, serves good food at sensible prices.

Stayed May 2008
Bonn, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2007

Like it was described in other reviews, the location is good with close proximity to all the sights. The hotel is very well decorated and has some antique features, like the double windows in the rooms, nicely restored. A bus stop just outside the hotel and the frontdesk is calling taxis which arrive literally in minutes.

I booked a double room for single use and found this rather on the small side with the bathroom almost the size of the main room. Just enough space for myself and would imagine that a couple with luggage would have problems. The wardrobe is rather small as well. The hotel offers also deluxe rooms, which are probably bigger, but facing towards the main street.

Hotel breakfast is good, excellent by Italian standards. The hotel offers wireless internet and a workstation at the lobby. Staff was pleasant and very helpful.

• Liked — Period features
  • Disliked — Size of room
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2006

Very convenient location close to the Castello Estense & Theatro Communale for our conference... just a couple of blocks walk. The hotel entrance has a bus stop right in front for buses en route straight to the train station. The staff was hit or miss because they have so many different people & shifts staffing the front desk. For this reason, we recommend you don't leave your key at the front desk. Our key went missing while we were out, & it was finally located in the key hole in the door. The person at the front desk was unconcerned & kept insisting that he had given the key to one of us. Luckily, nothing was missing from our room. Needless to say, we didn't let our key out of our possession again. The bathroom was a little crowded. We took advantage of the fact that they have bikes for our use with no charge. But, I understand almost all the hotels in Ferrara provide bikes. The breakfast is light, but good. Huge & clean dining area with nice staff.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Internet access only in hallway, not in the room.
  • Stayed May 2006, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hotel Europa? Share your experiences!