“Great home base for exploring Tuscany” 5 of 5 stars

I Melograni B&B
Via Maremmana, 2 tratto 27, 50053 Empoli, Italy   |
Ranked #3 of 4 Empoli B&B and Inns
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Great home base for exploring Tuscany”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2011

We stayed six nights at I Melograni in May 2011 and used it as our home away from home while we explored Florence and Tuscany. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would have no hesitation in recommending I Melograni to folks that like to stay in bed and breakfast establishments.

There are benefits to staying at a bed and breakfast that you don't receive at a hotel; interaction with other guests over breakfast, at the end of the day; recommendations from the host; and hopefully a restful place to sleep. We had all three during our stay.

It starts with a confirmation from Sue and Ricardo with directions (if you are driving) that should give you an indication of what's to come. The directions are very clear and have every landmark explained so you shouldn't miss a turn. Since our GPS couldn't really locate the b&b, these were very helpful.

The room was clean and comfortable. Good shower and air conditioning, if you request and pay for it. Breakfast on the patio was - well, you couldn't ask for a better way to start your day. Fantastic coffee, fresh juice and breads while overlooking vineyards and olive orchards. Ricardo asks each guest where they are headed that day and prepares maps, advice and recommendations. We left every day with a highlighted map and we were never disappointed by his recommendations for dining, parking and avoiding traffic.

There are two restaurants and a winery that you can walk to from the B&B. The winery makes fabulous Chianti's and the restaurants are very good, but you won't find much english spoken at them.

You don't necessarily have to have a car for your whole stay at I Melograni, the train station is about a 15 minute drive in Empoli and there are taxis or other options for getting to and from the train station. But I would recommend a car for part of your stay so you can enjoy some of the most beautiful scenery on earth.

We had a fabulous time and met really interesting people during our stay, that's what staying at b&b's is supposed to be about.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2011

the perfect place to stay for tuscany. close to all siena,firenze,pisa,lucca,greve in chiant,certaldo etc...sue and ricardo moltto benne.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Vancouver, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2010

I Melograni B&B in Empoli was the best highlight of my Italy trip! Sue and Riccardo were so great! They really took care of us and gave us great tips and numerous helpful maps. They even recommended a great resturant near by called "Trattoria Sciabolino. " They had really good duck pear parcel pasta! The view and location of the villa was excellent. Even though things were a bit far, it was great to just be in th middle of it all. We even met great people during our stay. We met people from Austrailia, Canada, Denmark. It was such a memorable experience meeting other travelers. My friend and I stayed a week at I Melograni, but the time went by so fast and we were so sad to leave Sue and Riccardo. I defnitely need to go back to this place!!!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Beavercreek, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2010

My wife and I spent 7 delightful days at Sue and Ricardo's B&B in this piece of Tuscan heaven. Their location is perfect for exploring Tuscany being conveniently located within an hour of most of the major sights. It sits among olive groves and vineyards in a quiet location just outside Empoli - great for relaxing after a hard day of exploring. I do, however, recommend a car and a GPS because of the B&B's location. The accommodations were clean and simple and the price was right. Sue and Ricardo are delightful and fun people and full of knowledge of the region. Ricardo provided outstanding directions to various sites and his eating recommendations were excellent. They both went out of their way to provide us with various forms of assistance. We had delightful conversations although I wish we had more time just to chat. This was a major highlight of our Italy holiday and we will certainly book this B&B again should we return to Tuscany.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2010

My mother and I recently spent 10 days traveling through Italy, including 2 days at I Melograni, which turned out to be our favorite 2 days of the trip. As all the other reviews have said, it's a beautiful B&B with very friendly hosts. We stayed in a room in the Verger's Lodge, which had a balcony overlooking the rolling hills and vineyards. It was quiet, the weather was perfect, and we felt very lucky to have that experience. We spent an afternoon at the vineyard down the road (Sue called first to make sure they were home) which was one of the highlights of our trip. We also had dinner at the local "sports bar" (which took about 20 mins to walk to via a path through the countryside) and ate dinner one night on our balcony with bread, cheese, tomatoes, and prosciutto from the Coop grocery store in Empoli and a bottle of wine from Fattoria di Piazzano down the road, which was a perfect evening. We did not have a car, so I would only note that it was a bit difficult without a car, but certainly not impossible. If I remember correctly, a taxi to/from the train station was about 12 or 14 euro. We did take the local train into Pisa one afternoon which was very easy. Highly recommended, the view is breathtaking, and we hope to be back someday.

• Stayed September 2010
Nelson, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2010

My husband and I, together with a good friend, stayed four nights with Sue and Ricardo in their beautiful Tuscan villa. It is a short taxi ride from the train station and was a great location for us to visit all places in Tuscany. Unfortunately we ran out of time! Sue and Ricardo are wonderful hosts creating a very relaxed and homey environment for weary travelers. We appreciated Ricardo's vast knowledge of train schedules, places of interest and his great maps. We had a great breakfast each day (although a little fresh fruit would have been appreciated) and we often made our own cold suppers in the evening in the kitchen area provided for guests. We had fun visiting the neighbouring winery and meeting Rolando and his sister. We also enjoyed eating in the local restaurant recommended by Ricardo. Mostly, we loved canceling all plans for a day and just walking and exploring the area. Staying at I Melograni was one of the highlights of our time in Tuscany.

Canberra
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2010

Riccardo and Sue were the perfect hosts and couldn't do enough for you!! They helped plan day trips and recommended the best restaurant I went to during my whole holiday. The B&B overlooked vineyards, and the vineyard that was only 500 metres away had nice wines at a great price. The location was a little out of the town of Empoli but either Riccardo or Sue would drop you off in Empoli daily so you could go to your day trip. It was the perfect restfull ending to a otherwise hectic holiday. If you are going to Tuscany, stay here...you won't regret it!!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to I Melograni B&B? Share your experiences!