“Converted!” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Strada Col Alto 9, 39033 Corvara in Badia, Italy   |
Ranked #4 of 29 hotels in Corvara in Badia
“Converted!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2012

Having been a lifelong skier in the France and Austria being convinced to try Italy was not an easy task. I'm pleased to say I've been converted to Italy, Corvara and Col Alto. This is the ski holiday I've been looking for.

The hotel itself is better than anywhere I've stayed in France and this really makes the entire ski experience perfect. After a hard day on the slopes and lunch you can return to your large room with gorgeous bathroom (a big deep tub and separate shower is always a plus) or relax in an almost endless number of ways in the spa.

The bar / lounge area is lovely and although quietly buzzing (it's busier on nights with live music) you'll always find a seat (make sure you get a couch by the fire) and the dinner and wine selection is extensive (though I'd recommend a bottle from the local grape). And if you've got an ounce of energy left then there's the Iceberg bar / club to enjoy your "one for the road".

For the first time for me on a ski holiday I was looking forward to getting back to the hotel in the evening as much as I'd look forward to getting onto the slopes in the morning.

I'd like to specifically mention the service though as I stayed at the Col Alto the week before Valentine's day. I wanted to surprise my girlfriend so the hotel team went above and beyond to arrange a romantic night-time dinner on the mountain side and even managed to get hold of a rose! It's these little things that mark out a good hotel from a great hotel.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends

219 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012

I am from Australia and my family and I traveled a long way to come Ski in Corvara, Italy. Our experience staying at the Hotel Col Alto was absolutely perfect. The service was friendly, helpful and made our stay extra special. The living conditions are some of the finest I have stayed in. The rooms are spacious and kept in immaculate conditions. The food is fantastic and considering that breakfast and dinner is included in the price that you pay to stay at the hotel, the rate is very reasonable. I know I shall definitely be returning to the Hotel Col Alto in the near future. So what are you waiting for...ANDIAMO! The man to ask for is Stefano. This guy is a legend. The Hotel Col Alto is the best option for accommodation in Corvara.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2011

While there are many places to choose from for a ski vacation, I ended up in Corvara in the Italian Alps and there is no better place to stay than Hotel Col Alto. As a way of background, the Dolomiti Superski Area consists of 12 ski resorts, 450 lifts, and 1,220 km of slopes - all on one reasonably priced lift ticket (38 Euros to 48 Euros). Cortina D'Amprezzo may be the most well known of the 12 resorts. However, drive 40 minutes north from Cortina on the breathtaking Grande Strada delle Dolomiti or Great Dolomite Road or drive an hour east from the German speaking Italian town of Bolzano on the same road, and one hits the resort of Alta Badia and the town of Corvara.

While it is neither the winter retreat of choice for fashionistas from Milan or Rome nor has it hosted the 1956 Winter Olympics like Cortina, Corvara offers something else which may be even more valuable in this day and age: an authentic ski vacation. And no place embodies it more than the Hotel Col Alto. Hotel La Perla which is up the road may be on the Leading Hotels of the World, but Hotel Col Alto makes you feel like you were given a key to a room in your friend or family member's home: i.e. service is great and more importantly genuinely responsive if requested especially relative to other regions in Italy. But most appreciated was how the staff at Hotel Col Alto learned that this traveler just wanted to be left alone to use all their facilities - the game room, swimming pool, and one of the best spas with a jacuzzi, athletic foot massage, heated stone recliners/water beds, and count it 5 different steam rooms/saunas and they complied.

With their newly renovated bar Iceberg and their central location in Corvara, Hotel Col Alto has also become the place to be at night. With a name stemming from the famous drinks spot on Bondi Beach in Sydney and an interior reminiscent of Apotheke in New York, Iceberg combines the best of nightlife from around the world with the traditions of this German-Austrian-Italian region. When looking for other places to go out at night, our group invariably ended up back at Iceberg almost every night at the end of the night. If not, it was to pass out back in the hotel room from a long day of skiing and apres ski activities.

All in all, even as I continue to explore the world and try out different ski resorts from all areas of the world, I will say this. Corvara and specifically Col Alto is a place that I will return - which for me is one of the highest forms of recommendations I can give. And if Corvara and Col Alto continue to remain under the radar, all the better for me when I return.

Room Tip: Paying up slightly for the rooms on the Martagon side as the rooms on this side are much larger than...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2011

Col Alto is an excellent spot among a lot of great places in Corvara. Location is superb. We were able to easily access some of the most amazing hiking I have ever seen. The staff at Col Alto was so helpful in recommending good day trips and activities to please the whole family. I would also echo some other remarks on this site how the owners really make an effort to provide first class experience. Wonderful place, wonderful people, good food and they speak inglese to boot!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2011

Col Alto is a great spot to lodge while enjoying Corvara and the Dolomites. I will definitely be returning to the Col Alto. The atmosphere, food, and service made my stay top notch. The Col Alto is centrally located which makes getting around Corvara and out to the hiking trails a breeze. I can't wait to make my way back in the winter to enjoy and relax at the Col Alto after a long day of skiing.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2011

The Col Alto hotel is the best place for a relaxing and rejuvenating vacation. After a few days, I forgot that I arrived there pretty tired and after a week, I felt I was in the best shape I had been in a long time.
Everything during our stay was done to make our life easy and agreeable. The staff -from waiters to owners- was 100% available and adorable, ready to answer any questions and to help us appreciate every minute in Corvara. My report wouldn't be complete if I forgot to mention the great after-ski spa and the delicious Italian food.
Beyond the hotel, Corvara is certainly one of the best places in Europe to ski with hundreds of kilometers of ski slopes.
I can't wait to go back to Corvara and to the Col Alto hotel.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2011

When you get to Corvara, you'll see that there are many lodging choices. When you walk up to the front desk at Col Alto, you'll see that very few of them have been around as long as this wonderful hotel right in the center of town (there's an old photo of the Col Alto when it was one of the only choices in town).

The Col Alto is still run by the same family that built it, and it is clear that the Pezzei's take great pride in their establishment. The food at the hotel restaurant is so good that we didn't bother venturing out of the hotel for our entire four day visit. The spa at the Col Alto (one of the many upgrades since the old days) is rejuvenating and for the most part complimentary with your stay. And the rooms are newly renovated and clean.

What more can I say? When I come back I know where I will be staying.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Col Alto? Share your experiences!