“Excelled in Every Way” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Corso Italia 92, 32043 Cortina d'Ampezzo, Italy   |
Ranked #18 of 52 Hotels in Cortina d'Ampezzo
“Excelled in Every Way”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2015

We booked this hotel based on Trip Advisor Reviews. This hotel is a gem. If you get the chance to stay in Cortina, I suggest you book Hotel Cortina.

This hotel is immaculate, the furnishings beautifully made, and the staff just wonderful. Not to mention, the hotel's central location in town, you can walk to the ski tram. There is a level of detail, love, and professionalism at this hotel that I have never found at any hotel. (We just stayed at a five-star hotel in Munich). This hotel has the look and feel of what I would imagine an old world hotel would have been like, but everything is updated new and clean. The curtains look hand made. The towels are huge, like none I have seen in any hotel.

The breakfast was delicious, and the restaurant charming.

But I think it is the staff that that puts the hotel over the top. They are just really, really nice. They do every job. The desk receptionist was also our bell person. Also, when we requested a late check-out, they allowed us to stay in our room until 3pm at no extra charge!

We recommend this hotel highly.

Room Tip: We stayed in a corner suite. Room #334. Over looking the church. The church bells did not bother us...
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Warsaw, Poland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2015

Beautiful hotel with lots of style and charm. Apart form the facilities, that cannot be faulted, the staff is who makes this place extra special. Nothing is too much too ask. Good location - dead centre of Cortina and only circa 250 meters to the main ski lift. And few winners on the way back, that is not a bad solution. Apart from staff, it is a restaurant that also shines. Even if you decide to stay elsewhere you should certainly visit it. Food and service - highest possible level, difficult if not impossible to replicate. When I go to Cortina next time I certainly will stay and dine at Cortina hotel again.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled with family
Rovaniemi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2015

Lovely clean hotel, good service, the staff was fantastic, good food. We stayed one week. The restaurant staff and reception staff were helpful and friendly. Special thanks to Benito. If someday we will return to Cortina so we choose this hotel.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
Al Muharraq, Bahrain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2015

In 1981 "For Your Eyes Only" was released and I was a child. I remember James and the epic ski chase in some town I never heard of growing up in New Jersey. It took a while but I finally found a reason to head there, in looking at hotels many looked the same and I became more confused. Somehow I was fortunate enough to stumble upon this property. From its perfect location in the heart of town, to the two old ladies who run the place and made a point to stop by my table while my wife and I dined; the old Italian man who spoke no English but seemingly does everything, including shoveling the roof in a black suit and a tie (there's a reason why they live so long), the experience was cinematic.

The hotel possesses a level of detail, professionalism and love that is hard to find. Our room was a corner suite overlooking the church, the curtains looked hand made, the hand towels reading "Hotel Cortina" were something out of a Wes Anderson film. The hardwood staircase and the strange but fantastic paintings that lined the walls were striking, the restaurant's food tremendous and the service perfection both for dinner and every morning at breakfast.

It is difficult to say enough about this hotel, the facets that could be considered flaws by some Americans (and I am struggling to find them) I considered charming. We checked out at 2 am for an early flight and there was another old gentleman working the desk, he simply couldn't work the credit card machine saying in broken English he never takes care of these matters, we figured it out together and he thanked me too many times for my help. I don't know....it was touching.

If you are looking for a Four Seasons experience (which is another type of perfection) in which fear motivates the staff this is not the place, however if you want an authentic experience of how life should possibly be lived and a property run by people who apparently love what they do then go see the two ladies and their marvelous staff who have been there since probably before the Olympics were held there in the 50s. Lovely all around and warmed my heart.

Room Tip: Ours was 215 and pretty close to the church so the bells could be heard. I figure they would be lou...
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2015

We were on a skiing holiday and so the hotel being a mere 250 metres walk to one of the town's gondola's was perfect. Apart from that, the hotel is the dead center of town and shops equi-distant on both sides!! We stayed in a very comfortable Junior Suite for 5 nights. The Housekeeper and all the staff were just fanatastic!! Food at the restaurant was excellent, though the inclusive breakfast was European in nature - thus hot food was extra. The hotel has an Italian feel about it from its interior design to its staff - this is no generic international establishment. The bath towels, in our experience, are unique - both their fabric texture and size!! We were lucky as this particular week was at low season period, but it demonstrates an all too forgotten art of hosting, that we were allowed to keep our room until 4pm without paying extra - that is unquestionably remarkable and generous. We thank them.

Room Tip: Rooms in the old part of the hotel have more atmosphere
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
Athens
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2014

Hotel Cortina is located in the center of the town, on the famous Corso Italia main street, right across from the church bell tower and the church square. Corso Italia is full of expensive designer shops, hotels and restaurants and the center of action during the day and the night. Hotel Cortina is old and famous and has hosted many famous guests (including myself). Its rooms are rustic and comfortable. The restaurant, has amazing food and a nice environment. There is also a small spa area with an extra charge. In general, it is good place to stay in Cortina if you can afford it. Cortina however, did not impress me or satisfy me. Being an experienced skier, and having skied most of the European ski resorts, I can safely say that Cortina is not for the serious skier. I would exchange it for Selva just across the mountain any day of the week. Try the "Hidden Valley" piste in Lagazuoi (accessible both from Cortina and Selva by taxi) for the thrill of your life.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2014

The staff here was extremely helpful, both at the counter and in the restaurant. The food was excellent. The rooms were smallish, but the bathrooms were modern. Our stay was superb! We can highly recommend the octopus salad.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Cortina? Share your experiences!