“One night stay at Nuvolau” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Rifugio Nuvolau

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cortina d'Ampezzo
Prices are for rooms, adults
Rifugio Nuvolau
Save Saved
You added Rifugio Nuvolau to your Saves list
Via Ca' Zanna, 5, 32043 Cortina d'Ampezzo, Italy   |
Dublin, Ireland
“One night stay at Nuvolau”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

You have to remember this Rifugio is at 2600m on top of a rock basically so yes, the facilities are minimal. They have limited water, so no showers. They get a lot of daytime visitors trekking up for the view so yes, they have one outdoor squat loo during the day, but after the last visitors have gone and only the Rifugio guests remain they open the indoor bathroom - and its clean and has a proper loo. The food was fine, basic but filling and wholesome. Coffee wasn't great but hey, can't have everything. We'd a basic 6 bunk dorm, it full and was warm all night. There were other guests staying, but didn't hear them as I always travel with earplugs. The staff were friendly and we really didn't have any issues.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

First of all, if you are a tourist looking for a bed rather than a walker who appreciates good huts, you may just want to give this Rifugio a miss even though it sits atop a peak with perhaps the best view along the AV!.
Sure, it has outside toilets and washroom (clean), no shower (there is a lack of water) and only bunk beds which can't be accessed until after 4 pm, but the view is to die for and the staff were excellent to our group of 5. We were treated with courtesy and the service for drinks, dinner and breakfast was efficient, jovial and friendly.
Speaking of food, the dinner was hearty walking food and very acceptable whilst for breakfast we were even offerred bacon (speck) and eggs which did not happen at any other refugio of our 10 day trek.
If you are an outoor type and stay here you will truly relish the experience. If you like your accomodation and it's staff wrapped in cotton wool and uniformed, then this place is not for you.
We loved it.

Room Tip: Sit on the outside terrace with a cold drink and suck up the view. Don't forget to poke your hea...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

Hi all, we have done the Alta Via One, just few days ago(4th Sept 2012). It was a magnificent experience, meeting people from all over the world. We stayed in about 7 Refugio’s, and most of them are very rustic and we can understand that, water it is a problem all over Dolomites. BUT none of the places were like Nuvolau. First of all Nuvolau is the only Refugio without a website and an email add., not that they answer the phone, or if they did, they are rude as people say above. The place it is fantastic - I mean the views, because there is nothing else to see there, except the rudeness of the owners and stuff, complaining all the time about how expensive is everything for them. There is no WC in the house during the day, there is a stinky WC outside and a wash room on the opposite side of the Refugio, I only been once and I feel sorry for everybody in need to get in there. There is a custom all over Dolomites that you can buy in Refugio’s the boiling water for tea, and how we had dry soup, I asked for boiling water, the girl told me that she can't do that, and I dropped it(at this point we were waiting for over 2h for a room outside in the cold after 7h hike in the rain - hypothermia was very close). Few minutes later a very small and angry man started to shout on me... asking that do I know how much he pays for water? My first question was: "Excuse me, but whom are you?" his reply: "I am the BIG BOSS, I am the BIG BOSS", "OK, but I was about to pay for the water!" (they charge a €3.5 for a small tea). The abuse was really loud and in front of all people in the Refugio. I felt so humiliated that we want to go and stayed somewhere else, but after we called all the other Refugio’s in the area, non had any room left. We had no choice but to stay and after another 30min we were told like they will make us a big favour to give us a room – sharing with another couple. The room was very much the size of the two bunker beds, single glazed window (at 2575m) – Refugio Lagazuoi had triple glazed windows. The compartment walls were as thick as the timber boards(20mm), I could hear the Italian girls next door text-ing on they phones. The Food was probably the worst food ever in any accommodation, very small portions, very poor and no options to choose from. You can accept a basic accommodation, with no luxuries and extras, but you can not accept nasty owners to treat they clients like dirt and then charge them at one of the highest rates from all Refugio’s. We paid over €80 (outside season), with no receipt received – that means money in the pocket – no Taxes paid here.
Advice? Go there for the view during the day and get back to another Refugio, there are about 5 very near(we get there on Saturday night and there were parties all over).
For the very small frustrated man in Nuvolau: “You get what you give, you are definitely not suited for that job at all, have a look at the other Refugio's and will see people dedicated to help and serve clients not only to rip them of they money. ” All the best to all nice people along Alta Via Uno.

Room Tip: AVOID at any cost
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

Recently spent 9 days hiking Alta Via 1 thru the dolomites and Nuvolau was the worst of the Refugios we stayed in. do your self a favor - come up for a drink and the view but stay somewhere else for the night. Rifugio Averau is right below it - 20 minute walk.

it was the most rustic (outdoor hole in the ground toilets, (1) cold gravity shower, a bit too worn around the edges - past charming and into run down) of the places we stayed and the most expensive. i agree with other reviews here - the hostess and staff were un-welcoming and made it feel like a tourist trap. room was clean, small and generally tidy. bed had serious lumps and a tilt to it. basically this place has become run down from what was probably a lovely rustic place 10 years ago. dinner was okay, but would rank at the bottom of the places we stayed. on the plus side - they had fried eggs a breakfast.

at breakfast - we were charged for an additional full breakfast cost when we asked for butter and jam to go along with the bread that was served. 2 pads of butter and 4 small containers of various jams. i believe it was itemized at 4.50 euro on the bill. I understand these places have rules, plans and some kind of order but to me it seemed a bit excessive.

the views are spectacular. and just a bit of warmness, friendliness, and a bit of care put the the overall experience would make this place amazing. would love to see it taken over and run by one of the other rifugios in the area.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Frederick, MD
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

I did not even stay at this Refugio but does not look good. I called today for information on rates and the lady that answered the phone was rude and not helpful at all. When I ask for the rate she asked me;"what for?" What? Why would I want the rate if not for making a reservation??? Then she refused to give me any info but told me to look online. I can not even imagine the hospitality level if I stayed there...but I am not willing to try!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Washington D.C.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2011

This is very much a hiker's / climber's hut (not suitable if you are looking for more than basic comfort and/or extra friendly service). The near 360 degree views of the surrounding peaks are magnificent. Sunrise and sunset are worth watching. We got here after hiking through some snow even in June and we returned to Passo Falzarego using the via ferrata, which was slightly tricky in parts, but not too bad. The service at the hut is professional and no-nonsense. A cup of hot chocolate spiked with rum hit the spot after our hike up to the hut. Dinner and breakfast were reasonably good. The hut has an interesting history and an old-worldly charm. A good hiking stop.

Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2011

The rooms were clean and the food was great, but we were not pleased with the cold treatment we received from our hostess and her staff. When we arrived from our hike, we waited in the front doorway for someone to tell us where we could drop or packs and leave our shoes. People just kept walking past us, and when I stepped into the bar area to ask for help, I was firmly told to leave because the room was "not open". The following morning, our bunk mates took a while to get organized, so we just waited in the top bunks until they could get their packs out of the room. This resulted in us being a few minutes late for breakfast and it was clear we had inconvenienced everyone. We did not even have an opportunity to use the bathroom before leaving thanks to one of the workers hanging around the door. Further, the hostess kept complaining about her high costs and as we were paying, made a point of suggesting we leave a big tip.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to Rifugio Nuvolau? Share your experiences!