“Perfection!” 5 of 5 stars

UK
6 attraction reviews
“Perfection!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

I cannot praise the Rifugio Averau too highly. My wife and I recently spent 7 nights there and it was fantastic. The staff are charming (thank you Max and Sandro), the rifugio is spotlessly clean, and the location is stunning. We were lucky enough to stay in Room 4 which has an ensuite bathroom and a balcony with glorious views. Dinner and breakfast were brilliant, and there is even a great wine list. The staff were so kind to us, we missed the last lift one day (we were travelling by car from another resort and needed to stop to put on the snow chains), and Sandro sent down the skido to collect us.

A couple of practical tips. We had a hire car, which was useful, and probably the only way we would have had enough time to fly from the UK, collect skis and lift passes and get to the 5 Torri chairlift in time to catch the last chair up to Averau. You can park either at the 5 Torri chairlift (take SR48 out of Cortina for about 10 miles, there is a large (free) car park) or from the other side of the mountain taking the Fedare chairlift by taking the SP638 from Cortina to Passo Giau (probably about 15 miles). There is a beautiful circular ski route from Averau, but my only criticism is that the skiing you can reach directly from Averau is slightly limited.

I would highly recommend Rifugio Averau to anyone wishing to skiing in the Dolomites, and to stay is absolute comfort in a stunning location.

Visited January 2014

Port Macquarie, Australia
4 attraction reviews
“averau riffugio was a fantastic experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

my ski group and I stayed two nights at the Averau Riffugio - the beds were comfortable, the location fantastic and the meals were a delight

Visited January 2014
Huntington, NY
13 attraction reviews
“Lovely hike near the passo Falzarego”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

My wife and I recently hiked around Averau mountain starting from the car park at the Refugio Col Gallina. The views from the trails were magnificent . We followed trail 419 until it merged with 441, which we followed to Rifugio Averau. From here there is a great view of Cinque Torri. For our return, we took trail 440, although there are several alternate routes. This hike took approximately 4 hours with a fair amount of uneven and rocky portions. Overall an excellent hike with great scenic views

Visited August 2013
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Fantastic experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

We arrived without a reservation which is, apparently, not a good idea but managed to get a table after a short wait and it was well worth it. This was undoubtedly the best mountain restaurant food that we have eaten in 25 years of skiing.

Visited February 2013
Brisbane
7 attraction reviews
“My Favourite in Cortina”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

The pastas are sublime - think pheasant lasagne made on egg crepes or the classic local beet root ravioli with freshly grated parmigiana! A glass of house red and a view to die for - I've found my niche!

I've skied in Cortina 3 times and eaten at Averau 6 times - the quality or welcome have never varied - can't wait to come back.....

Visited January 2013