“Good food, good price, worth popping in” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian, Pasta
Good for: Entertaining clients, Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
London, United Kingdom
“Good food, good price, worth popping in”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

A great little restaurant which was popular with the locals. A large selection of local seasonal food - priced well, tasted great and with good service. They told us the meals were small, but that was just a good excuse to try lots of different flavours, and they were of a good size, slow roasted and prepared in their wood oven. Some of the courses come with a complimentary and matched wine. We popped in for a quick lunch and stayed 2 hours. the atmosphere is local old style Tuscan kitchen. No view, but this is a place to focus on food and not the view.
Make sure you have cheese taster with wine! Very different and worth every calorie.
If you are in the area this is worth the visit.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Siena, Italy
“Anything but the usual soup.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

I've been returning to this place over the years, for a total of maybe half a dozen times. Last time I visited was during the transition between the old and new owners. I had concerns that the identity would be lost, or diluted. Now that the new owners have had a year and a half to make their mark I am back. The soups are still lovely. The emphasis on local products in season is clearly there. I had an absolutely sumptuous meal. Tradition and quality, with a touch of elegance. Not gourmet (in terms of presentation or innovation), but very, very good. I can especially recommend (any) soup, the salumi di cinta, the 'roastbeef' (see-through thin slices and such delicate flavors). A must for anyone in the area. Not cheap, but about right for the quality. The decor is alright, and service is very professional. Portions were right for me - I prefer to sample many things. However, don't expect to come here for a pasta and walk out full. You need two or more dishes (at least). I had five, two of which were shared, and walked out reasonably full. Total cost (with excellent house wine) about 50 euro per person.

• Visited June 2013
Camano Island, Washington
“Excellent service, really good food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We arrived a little before 2 pm without reservations and they were able to seat us,despite there being only 2 empty tables. The owner took the time to explain their menu and then left us to ponder the physical menu. He came back shortly and took our order, offering helpful suggestions so the four of us would not be overwhelmed with the food we ordered. The different soups available were quite enticing and he allowed us to split two different soup orders so the four of us could each have a bowl but not be full when the primi and the second which we each ordered came. The food was amazing and full of a wonderful blend of different flavors that were the highlight of our day. We definitely will go back and recommend this place for a relaxing and enjoyable food experience.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
New York City, New York
“Great atmosphere and service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

We really liked the whole set up of this place. The dining room was charming, the focus on a Slow Food philosophy, the engaging owners who explain the menu and the day's selections to each table and help guide you through your ordering. Some of the food was a slight miss for us, but everything else made up for it. The farro and bean soup we had was excellent, although not cheap at 9 euros for a bowl of soup. The braised wild boar was good, although not as moist and flavorful as I was hoping. I also really would have liked it served over something to soak up the sauce, but that's not the Italian way it seems. We did get an excellent potato puree as a side with it - order this! We also tried the duck ragu, which was kind of disappointing; we were hoping more for a white ragu I suppose, and this was a tomato ragu, which completely drowned out any duck flavor. We had a cheese sampler which was fantastic and came with a small glass of vin santo which paired very well with the cheese. The dessert was another miss - a wild cherry tart, which was really just a thin layer of cherry jam on a thick, dry crust, but it also was nicely paired with a dessert wine.
While there were a few food misses, they were balanced by the really nice service and atmosphere.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Roma
“Quality to the top !!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

We decided to stop in Chiusi (small village near the A1 hiway) for diner on our way back from Firenze to Roma and I could not get more lucky. I did not had much expectation and this restaurant exceeded my expectations. The environment is casual and traditional, the owner and (I guess his wife) really kind and professional. But surprised me was the quality of the food. Traditional "winter" cuisine from Toscany and Umbria, excellent selection of local wines, organic olive oil (excellent quality) and really high quality in every ingridents. A bit pricey but I was happy to spend money when well deserved. Most likely I will go back to Chiusi just because of this restaurant. Highly suggested.

• Visited December 2012