First the good news. The Villa D'Este is situated in one of the most stunning spots on the planet and for the most part it delivers what you would expect of one of the most expensive hotels in Eurpope. However, for the sort of money it charges perhaps one could expect near perfection, and this I am afraid is definitely not the case.
For a start, the hotel is simply too big to give the sort of personal service that one expects at the top end of the hotel market. There are around 250 rooms and on top of this the hotel plays host to many a ghastly conference. When we arrived, the hotel was swarming with car salesman, gathered to launch a new Lancia. Men in suits doing their corporate bit did not sit well with relaxed holiday makers, who had come to chill in these glamourous surroundings. We had at least 6 new cars parked right outside our bedroom window. There is not much 5 star about that!
Dining on the main terrace is truly a wonderful experience, with food and service of the highest order. It is therefore very disappointing to report that the Grill Room which is a seperate restaurant within the grounds dished up one of the worst meals we have ever eaten. I won't go into detail but I have the honour of nominating this restaurant for the " Five cowpat award" for most expensive restaurant with the least edible food.
So there you have it. Yes, the D'Este has moments of utter brilliance and shows why it has acquired such a great reputation. But too often it lapses into 4 or even 3 star mediocrity.
Perhaps we were unlucky to arive when a conference was in full swing, perhaps the Grill had an off night, perhaps the rust that filled our bath the first night was a freak. Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps.
Perhaps you should go somewhere else more reliable.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Experience the splendor, the grandeur, the intrigue and the magic of Villa d'Este- an opulent hotel overlooking glorious Lake Como. Hailed as one of the best hotels in the world by Travel & Leisure, Condé Nast Traveler and Forbes Traveler, this famous resort destination has been widely praised for its beautiful gardens, exquisite cuisine, gala celebrations, impeccable décor and extraordinary hospitality. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, TripOnline SA and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Villa d'Este reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Villa d`Este Hotel Cernobbio
- Hotel d Este
- d Este Hotel Cernobbio
- Villa Deste Lake Como
- Villa D'Este Lake Como/Cernobbio, Italy