“Great Hotel but eat dinner in town” 4 of 5 stars

Villa d'Este
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Regina 40, 22012 Cernobbio, Italy   |
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Cernobbio
Chicago, Illinois
“Great Hotel but eat dinner in town”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

Excellent Hotel - perfect rooms, beautiful gardens, best concierge and stuff. You really have to read history of this place in order to feel it. We booked exclusive junior suite and had a lake view. Had a chance to enjoy pool and rent a boat for a few hours and cruse lake Como - curtsy of Villa d'Este. Breakfast was wonderful with a view. The only slight disappointment was a dinner at the Grill. It felt like old country club dinner. You'll be better of with Il Gatto Nero in town.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
  • Turkish first
canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

Treat yourself, even for one day as my husband and I did, you will remember it for the rest of your life..I felt like a Queen, better than a Queen, staying in this magnificent yet low key Hotel/Villa. Situated on the Stunningly beautiful Lake Como in Italy, you will be overwhelmed by the wonderful service, the majesty of the rooms, the GARDENS are to die for..And, your Incredible meal at the end of the day in their wonderful restaurant, have their PASTA..will have you believing you Made it...such a dream come true. And just up the road by car, (you will be near a very well known and Extremely good looking actor who happens to have a Villa right there in Cernobbio,) you will be able to stop and take a ferry over to the island of Bellagio! You will feel like a Princess on the boat, with the sun on your face and the warm breeze in your hair, as you travel over to the sweetest little island ever! But that is for another review..:)
Enjoy, Life is Short!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Stockholm, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

After reading many reviews from people and magazines, looking at photos from this place and surroundings for several years, finally the day arrived that I booked a 3 nights stay for part of a trip in Europe to celebrate our 7 years wedding anniversary in mid June. When I book a hotel I always try to stay at "Leading Hotels of The World" because then me and my wife know we have the bigger chance of having the best of soft service. While the hard service could be important (such an elevator or a nice spa) nothing beats the human-sourced services "served genuinely".

After the booking I contacted the Hotel directly with e-mail for some requests regarding the room and our arrival. I wanted to surprise my wife. It was done exactly the way I wanted and it was perfect thanks to the very proffessional lady: Erika Roncoroni. I had several e-mails back and forth with her regarding the requests and she was very kind, quick and helpful (just like you would wish every Leading Hotel could have).

After staying at this beautiful place your question for me is:
Was this what you expected it to be?
Even though I tried to not have the highest of expectations I unfortunetly must say that I was let down.
I have stayed and dined at some of the best awarded hotels and restaurants around the globe and one thing I noticed is very hard for them to succeed with, is the breakfast experience.
For 2 days at the restaurant Veranda for breakfast unfortunetly they failed. We tried both the outdoor seating and the indoor at different hours. The level of service was the same....Low. One example was the first day when I ordered fresh carrot juice for us (because we love it and only 2 different juices were fresh made). We dont mind waiting extra for that. After 25 minutes I went to the same man (with grey hair, eye-glasses and black bow tie) and asked what happened with our carrot juice. He looked surprise so I said maybe you sent it to the wrong table. He looked at the direction of the table where another couple was sitting so I said there is our table and pointed where my wife were sitting. Then he rushed to the other table and just took the carrot juice from them and tried to give it to us. When my wife said that they've already thank from it, he just said NO NO NO when the truth was that my wife actually saw them drinking from the glass. That was no respect shown to us nor the other couple. We would have accepted if he just given us an apology. We just left the table when he treated us like that then he said that he would give us the juice tomorrow. Do you think this person even bothered the day after?? Trust me when I say that it was not only this what downgraded the breakfast experience.
The third and last breakfast we had in the room.

In the same restaurant (Veranda) we had a 3 course lunch which was amazing. It was Michelin class food even though it doesnt have any stars. The lunch was included in our rate otherwise we would never pay 450 euros for a 2 person lunch. Perhaps if it would be a 3 star Michelin restaurant. The Maitre'd gave us Very good service at lunch. One "funny" thing happend was that they brought another persons dessert to our table. So this thing with bringing stuff to wrong tables seemes to be a common thing at this Restaurant weather its Breakfast time or Lunch.

Other things on the minus side:
• You can not have a drink by the pool (you've got to be on the land side) and the prices are extraordinary. 28 euros for one ice-cream and one lemonade.
• The hotel uses their own cars when you want taxi so expect extra charges. For example its around 40 euros of difference between Malpensa Airport and Hotel (when no traffic). 25 euros is the price going from Hotel to Como. They dont have any shuttle service.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

We have just returned from a sensational stay at Villa D'Este. Having already stayed at Casta Diva the experience was like chalk and cheese. Everything at Villa D'Este was just perfection. It's as if time has stood still in this Grand Dame of Italy and at breakfast one morning I told my husband that it reminded me of childhood holidays with my parents in Italy when the world was safe! The service was excellent and friendly whilst still being professional. The whole place exudes luxury and although first impressions could lead you to believe that it was going to be stuffy, that could not be farther from the truth. We were upgraded to a lovely room with separate sitting room and that oh so magnificent Lake View. The style of the bedrooms is not exactly my taste but it just seems so right for the whole experience. The only slight disappointment was the service at the pool. At these prices I don't believe I should be given towels to make up my own mattress. Frankly i found these young pool attendants a little lazy. Lunch on the terrace was delicious gazing out at that amazing view and the cocktails great. Dancing under the stars to the resident pianist was just magical. We have just given our agent the go ahead to book us in for a week next year and frankly I cannot wait

Room Tip: A lake view is what it's all about
Sao Paulo, SP
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

I do not think I can find a better place to stay. Everything in this hotel os perfect, room, food, service, view....We stayed here for our honeymoon and everything was perfect. If you go, do not miss the gardens. They are stunning! Go in the summer, so you can enjoy the pool. We got an upgrade for a room with a partial view and a bottle of champagne. The staff is very polite! And the breakfast with the lake view...OMG. The best I've ever had!!!

Room Tip: Do not bother with the room. The outside of the hotel is soo good that you will not stay in the room...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Orange, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

What does the fictional PBS television series Crawley family have in common with Villa D' Este? Well, they could have come to this estate for their holiday and feel very comfortable in the surroundings, formality and richness of hotel and staff.

What makes a great experience at this hotel are the people who support this grand operation. Words can't express the high degree of hospitality and professionalism observed by the staff. This degree of dedication to hospitably make guests feel special and this is what brings the extraordinary charm to this historic northern Italian renaissance style hotel. From the room maids to the head concierge, all contribute to the charm of Villa D' Este.

From the registration process to the small personal greetings from the staff, once you arrive on this special estate you understand the pride that is required by all staff members. They make their guests feel special. This extra effort is remarkable in a day and age where these important traits are forgotten.

The hotel dates back to the 18 century. The grounds and gardens are mystical and romantic. Taking a walk each morning one will view many Roman style structures reminding the the visitor of early Roman influence. The rooms are extremely large for European standards. The ceilings are 12 feet and they are all individually appointed and decorated with period antique furniture and art pieces. The details of the bathroom and room are beyond the expectations. My only untoward experience was a bed that was hard.

This is not the place to bring the family or children. It is for couples primarily. It is meant to be quite and relaxing. Come here and the cares of your life will go missing.

The food is beyond my culinary skills to described their superb gastronomical taste. The morning brunch is $75 at a Ritz Carlton in the U.S. The breathtaking views of the lake and piano serenade make this a wonderful memory. This is truly one of the best travel experience of my life. I want to thank the staff for all they did to make it incredible.

Largo, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

We stayed for several days at Villa D'Este and it was truly a wonderful experience. The location is perfect, on the western shore of Lake Como in Cernobbio. Its grounds extend up the mountain, including these fascinating gardens, sculptures, and a man made replica of Roman ruins made by the original owner's wife to keep her General husband amused. It's a bit of a hike up there, but the views and photos from up there of the Villa are stunning.

The food in the Veranda restaurant is excellent, and the breakfast buffets are very extensive and quite good.

The room had a balcony overlooking Lake Como, and a separate room in a suite arrangement. Very spacious, with a great balcony to sit on, overlooking the floating pool on the lake.

Music in the evening on the Veranda, a nice bar, I could go on and on. A truly special place.

Room Tip: Pick a room in the Queen's Pavillion, with a balcony on the water side. The others aren't a...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Villa d'Este? Share your experiences!