After reading many reviews from people and magazines, looking at photos from this place and surroundings for several years, finally the day arrived that I booked a 3 nights stay for part of a trip in Europe to celebrate our 7 years wedding anniversary in mid June. When I book a hotel I always try to stay at "Leading Hotels of The World" because then me and my wife know we have the bigger chance of having the best of soft service. While the hard service could be important (such an elevator or a nice spa) nothing beats the human-sourced services "served genuinely".
After the booking I contacted the Hotel directly with e-mail for some requests regarding the room and our arrival. I wanted to surprise my wife. It was done exactly the way I wanted and it was perfect thanks to the very proffessional lady: Erika Roncoroni. I had several e-mails back and forth with her regarding the requests and she was very kind, quick and helpful (just like you would wish every Leading Hotel could have).
After staying at this beautiful place your question for me is:
Was this what you expected it to be?
Even though I tried to not have the highest of expectations I unfortunetly must say that I was let down.
I have stayed and dined at some of the best awarded hotels and restaurants around the globe and one thing I noticed is very hard for them to succeed with, is the breakfast experience.
For 2 days at the restaurant Veranda for breakfast unfortunetly they failed. We tried both the outdoor seating and the indoor at different hours. The level of service was the same....Low. One example was the first day when I ordered fresh carrot juice for us (because we love it and only 2 different juices were fresh made). We dont mind waiting extra for that. After 25 minutes I went to the same man (with grey hair, eye-glasses and black bow tie) and asked what happened with our carrot juice. He looked surprise so I said maybe you sent it to the wrong table. He looked at the direction of the table where another couple was sitting so I said there is our table and pointed where my wife were sitting. Then he rushed to the other table and just took the carrot juice from them and tried to give it to us. When my wife said that they've already thank from it, he just said NO NO NO when the truth was that my wife actually saw them drinking from the glass. That was no respect shown to us nor the other couple. We would have accepted if he just given us an apology. We just left the table when he treated us like that then he said that he would give us the juice tomorrow. Do you think this person even bothered the day after?? Trust me when I say that it was not only this what downgraded the breakfast experience.
The third and last breakfast we had in the room.
In the same restaurant (Veranda) we had a 3 course lunch which was amazing. It was Michelin class food even though it doesnt have any stars. The lunch was included in our rate otherwise we would never pay 450 euros for a 2 person lunch. Perhaps if it would be a 3 star Michelin restaurant. The Maitre'd gave us Very good service at lunch. One "funny" thing happend was that they brought another persons dessert to our table. So this thing with bringing stuff to wrong tables seemes to be a common thing at this Restaurant weather its Breakfast time or Lunch.
Other things on the minus side:
• You can not have a drink by the pool (you've got to be on the land side) and the prices are extraordinary. 28 euros for one ice-cream and one lemonade.
• The hotel uses their own cars when you want taxi so expect extra charges. For example its around 40 euros of difference between Malpensa Airport and Hotel (when no traffic). 25 euros is the price going from Hotel to Como. They dont have any shuttle service.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Experience the splendor, the grandeur, the intrigue and the magic of Villa d'Este- an opulent hotel overlooking glorious Lake Como. Hailed as one of the best hotels in the world by Travel & Leisure, Condé Nast Traveler and Forbes Traveler, this famous resort destination has been widely praised for its beautiful gardens, exquisite cuisine, gala celebrations, impeccable décor and extraordinary hospitality. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Cheap Tickets, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Travelocity and Despegar.com so you can book your Villa d'Este reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Villa d`Este Hotel Cernobbio
- Hotel d Este
- d Este Hotel Cernobbio
- Villa Deste Lake Como
- Villa D'Este Lake Como/Cernobbio, Italy