“Go if you can” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Cernobbio
Montreal, Canada
“Go if you can”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2011

What an amazing place. The property is immaculate with a swimming pool built on the Lake. In our opinion, Cernobbio, where the hotel is located is one of the prettiest settings on a spectacular lake. The breakfast buffet was rich in terms of offerings and the service, be it reception, concierges, servers and valets was outstanding. We were always addressed by name. Although some of the rooms might be a little tired (we were up graded and offered a choice between a couple of different rooms, settling for one with a huge terrace), one can well appreciate the history of this landmark. When we were there, the hotel was populated with guests that seem to return year after year. There is lots to do and see in the area, with Milan and Lugano being within easy driving distance. The hotel is extremely costly, with a club sandwich at the pool resto being 28 euros, the vegitable soup, 19 euros, however, parking is free. Notwithstanding this, if you can afford it, want true luxury and relaxation in a quiet part of Italy, this is the place.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
  • Turkish first
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2011 via mobile

The natural beauty, the service, the offerings, the food-oh my gosh! This is a magical place in a magical part of the world. We want to go back.

• Stayed September 2011
Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011

We only stayed here 2 nights .... this place is expensive! We were upgraded to a junior suite, which was great. However, I can't imagine paying EUR 1300 for this room. The room was nice and had an amazing view but it is not worth this sort of money. Overall we had a lovely stay and if you can afford it I would definitely recommend staying here. The service was good, breakfast was great, swimming pool area is nicely done. We also hired a little boat (EUR 60) for an hour in the village (5/10 min walk). The hotel charges their customers EUR 110 for an hour!

Chatsworth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2011

So very beautiful inside and out. Very good food at the pool, in the main dining room and at the Grill. Delish breakfast. We enjoyed most of all the beautiful outdoor areas - hiking/walking trails with little waterfalls, the spectacular clay tennis courts, the pool. The room was beautiful (414) with an out of this world view. Immaculate property, extremely well-maintained. Lovely boutique, small but well equipped gym. We also enjoyed spectacular weather, which never hurts on a vacation.
This was one of the most wonderful places we've ever been.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2011

The Villa d'Este is everything you'd imagine and more. We had a wonderful three nights, and we're eager to go back!

PROPERTY: Of course, the Villa d'Este looks just like the photos, and it's beautiful. You can spend all day wandering through the gardens and hiking trails, and even when the hotel is booked, it never feels crowded or crawling with people. The floating pool has a stunning view of the lake, though be careful that you don't get seasick. You'll just be in awe of the idyllic scenery that feels like a movie set, and the gorgeous hotel does not disappoint.

ROOMS: We stayed in a standard double room, which was very spacious with ample closet space and a huge, comfortable bed. The bathroom is large, modern, and Americanized with a real, glass-door shower--a huge luxury in Europe. The bathroom toiletries are very nice and the housekeeping is very generous with them, too. Even with our view of the driveway, we had great views and light and relaxing in the room was always pleasant.

RESTAURANTS: We actually didn't eat at either of the restaurants on property, because we had such wonderful food just steps away in the village of Cernobbio for MUCH cheaper. I'm sure the food is good, but you definitely want to venture out, especially to Osteria del Beuc, about a 5 minute walk off property.

BARS: We did have drinks at the bar before and after dinner every night, and the bartenders here are actually very good--try the Aperol Spritz or a classic Negroni. The outdoor patio bar will also serve complimentary snacks or cookies depending on the time of day. We liked sitting at the indoor bar, too, and even though many guests are American, you can always find interesting, well-traveled people to chat with. Our only complaint was that the 70s discotheque was closed every night, primarily due to a number of weddings that were taking place that weekend. We would have enjoyed listening to the live music there rather than outside, though you can't beat the lake views.

ROOM SERVICE: The best perk of our stay was the complimentary breakfast room service! The hotel offers a breakfast buffet, but you can choose to have a continental breakfast of coffee of your choice, juice, tea, and pastries delivered every morning instead. It was a nice luxury to have breakfast in bed every day.

AMENITIES/ACTIVITIES: The hotel has everything you could need - gym, golf, mini golf, spa, etc. The gym was never crowded, and you could always get a pool chair of your choice. We also took the boat trip to Bellagio offered by the concierge, and it was well worth the cost. You got a tour from a local of the gorgeous lakeside villas and then two hours to spend wandering (and shopping!) in Bellagio. There is so much to do in the area surrounding Villa d'Este, we wish we could have stayed a week.

OVERALL: Yes, it's pricey, but you get what you pay for. It's a beautiful, elegant, luxurious hotel and Cernobbio is such a charming, relaxing town. You should put the Villa d'Este on your destination list if you haven't already!

Room Tip: Ask for a lake view, but be willing to pay for it.
Sag Harbor, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2011

AMAZING grounds. Classy. Gorgeous floating pool and there were still a good amount of people there in late September (weather was phenomenal). So pretty to have drinks outside. Nice fitness room. Easy walk to town. I'm sure 5000 other people have already gushed about how great this hotel is so I won't go on & on about how beautiful it is. However, I would like to say that I was disappointed in the paint job of the annex which is wher I stayed. The way they painted on the pediments, cornices, balconies and decorative detail of the building looks so cheesy. It really took away from the beauty of the main building and I don't think it's appopriate for a hotel as famous or expensive as this. It should be done the right way.

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2011 via mobile

I'm on a 2 week driving holiday and this was/is the only 3 night stop on the trip. It was also the most expensive hotel on the trip at you can see the others I stayed at by looking at my contributions).

I really liked this hotel - the concierge staff remembered my name from the start and generally I found the service attentive at all times. I never felt pressured for tips like some of the american reviewers have mentioned so I'm not sure that was a real experience.

My room was a partial lake view superior room looking over the gardens towards the grill. It was a nice view, but without a balcony (not that I had ordered a room with one).

I found the room very spacious, spotlessly clean and all in good working order. Every time I drank the complementary water it was replaced and the tv had a great selection of channels - a nice change from the usual business channels.

I ate at both the restaurants and was generally impressed - they are reviewed separately as well. Yes they were expensive, but they were also excellent. I took one of the tours to bellagio which was great

So overall I think this hotel met the high standard it claims. I'm not sure what some of the other reviewers were expecting. As for the people complaining about the dress code - tough - its pretty clear and why not!

I don't generally comment about other peoples comments, but bestmilano below me as I write this seems to have stayed at a different hotel. Something seems to have annoyed him/her! All I can say is I stayed at roughly the same time and loved it - even if it did cost a fortune.

• Stayed September 2011

Been to Villa d'Este? Share your experiences!