“2nd visit” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
New York City, New York
“2nd visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

My wife and I last made this trip 3 years ago and I think I may have under-rated it the first time. I was reluctant to go again but as it turned out I'm very glad I did. The waite staff was attentive and generous and the food I considered one of the best meals I've had in the Lake area. The wine was perfect but one must be aware of the drive down and temper the indulgence. As much as I dread the drive up, I will more than likely go back again.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

CT
“Great Combination”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

What a great combination- great food, gorgeous view and wonderful service. A definite highlight meal if you are vistiing the Lake Como area. Not to be missed.

Visited June 2012
New york
“the view but the rest is terrible”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

The view is the main attraction and only possible reason to go to gatto nero.
The service is poor, slow, (45 minutes to get wine on the table),the waiters do not know who ordered what and they resort to ask each guest what they ordered.No table service generally unless you ask and when you try to ask you have to wait.
The food is basic italian, low average .
One toilet for all the guests. The restaurant was full 100/200 guests resulting in a 5 minutes minimum wait to get your turn to use the toilet.
Not worth the priced paid.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
San Francisco
“Never made it”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

We never made it to the restaurant; this review is purely based on a phone conversation I had with one person there.
We had a reservation at Il Gatto Nero (IGN) for a Sunday lunch. We took the ferry to Cernobbio, expecting to find a taxi to take up - much easier said than done, apparently. We found the central taxi stand, called the posted number and waited for over 15 minutes - no cabs. So I called IGN in hopes that they could help us. In Italian, I nicely asked the man who answered if he spoke English, and I got a grunt in response. Maybe it would have been better if I had tried to speak more in Italian, but we were hot, late and frustrated and he spoke English, so I went with it. I explained our situation and asked for suggestions. He said "well, you wait". Ok, signor, but we've tried that, could you please call one for us? Long pause... "Where are you?" I told him the name of street that was engraved on the wall. He said no such street existed, speaking to me like I was an idiot. I then mentioned a pizzeria I saw across the street hoping he'd know it - he did and said we were in the right place to get a taxi. He grungingly said he'd call for us and got off the phone. We waited for another 15 minutes with no result before heading into that pizzeria (Tom & Jerrys - not too bad!).
His attitude was very surprising to me; he really couldn't have been less friendly or helpful. Fortunately for us, he was one of the few such people we encountered in Italy. Had he been nicer we would have tried to get back to IGN another time, but after that phone call there was no way we'd make the effort again.

Visited September 2012
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
“Lives Up to Every Expectation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

After living in Cernobbio for a summer, the expectations for Il Gatto Nero were set very high by almost everyone who has been that it's the best restaurant in the Como area. I find myself often being underwhelmed by restaurants that come big reviews but not for Il Gatto Nero. We had a corner table right against the rail. I had the risotto, maybe the best I've ever tasted, my mother had the caprese insalata, and my father started with the parpadelle. All these are traditional Italian dishes that transformed into food that you never thought could taste as good as it does. The waiters are extremely friendly, special kudos to Roberto, who played along as I spoke in half Italian/ half English. The wine list is expansive and they actually know the wines and have tried them. It was such a wonderful evening that we booked another table for a few nights from now.

• Visited August 2012