The setting of this villa is quite idyllic. Beautiful views across the sea with the Aeolian Islands visible in the distance on clear days, as well as towards Cefalu. The swimming pool is gorgeously situated amongst lemon trees, with other citrus fruit and an olive grove. The accomodation is in a series of buildings spread across the hillside on terraces clad with attractive flowers and more citrus trees. They vary from ordinary simple rooms to self catering units. Originally it was a convent and the reference to 1868 is the date when the present family acquired it. It still has a chapel and the owners house with tower is in the rocess of being renovated.
Francesco is a kind welcoming host aided by Domenico, equally solicitous if a little flustered when everyone arrives together for breakfast. Breakfast is very good with generous portions for the greedy.
This would make a fantastic boutique hotel. I hope it doesn't develop that way as the charm would be spoilt. It should be born in mind that the faciities are basic. Meals are provided only on advance notice. There is no air con so sleep quality may be poor in the hight of summer. In the unlikely event of rain indoor sitting facilities would be limited. The drive up to the villa is via a number of perilous hairpins and the track and car park are distinctly rough.
But none of this matters given the enchanting setting and the generous welcome. The cost (certainly in May) is ridiculously good value. If more people go it will encourage the prices to rise.
Keep this gem secret.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The villa, 5 km from Cefalù, located within an area of outstanding naturalistic attractions, derives from an architectural complex built in the XIV century as a monastic center, until in 1868, Michele Palamara decides to buy it.The small village has a central courtyard overlooked by the chapel, the manor house and farm buildings now used for rural tourism, faithfully interpreting the philosophy of the place.The villa, 60 meters above the sea, with views of the Aeolian Islands, is a few minutes walking distance from the beach.Villa Palamara is ideal for relaxing stays and cultural tourism. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline and Booking.com so you can book your Villa Palamara 1868 reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Villa Palamara 1868 Hotel Cefalu
- Palamara Hotel Cefalu
- Villa Palamara 1868 Cefalu, Sicily