“magnificent” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 35 Hotels in Cefalu
Bellmore, New York
“magnificent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2011

What a beautiful hotel with perfect ameneties, friendly staff and right across the street from the soft sand beach of cefalu. We stoped in without reservations mid Sept 2011 and we were given a large and beautifull room with balcony overlooking the magnificent beach. Cant wait to go back and spend time taking in the beauty of Cefalu and the relaxing feeling of the hotel

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Polish first
North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2011

We stayed here in early September 2011, during a 12 day trip around Sicily. Cefalu was the last stop of our trip and most important to me, since my family is from Cefalu and I have never been. I grew up hearing stories about it and wanted to go there my entire life. We picked Riva Del Sole for its location across the street (10 steps) from the beach, and spent 3 nights at Riva Del Sole. After having such fabulous hospitality everywhere else we visited (Palermo, Agrigento, Taormina, Randazzo), we were a little disappointed by our initial welcome to Riva Del Sole. I went to check in and the owner was clearly not amused by my lack of perfect Italian. He at first acted like he did not understand me, (though I've read on other reviews that he understands English, which I resorted too after my broken Italian was apparently not cutting it). He seemed annoyed that we were American. We were then made to wait 40 minutes for our room, with no updates as to the status. I was then the one who was not amused. Finally he came over and showed us our room. Things did shape up from there. My husband and I both speak spanish and between my limited Italian and our spanish, with a few engligh words thrown in, we were able to communicate for the rest of the trip in a way that seemed satisfactory to the owner. He was polite and accomodating the rest of our stay. We had a sea front room on the second floor that was right next to the business office. Though the lobby and dining room of this hotel look grand, the rooms are a bit dated and could use some updating. However, the room was impeccably clean and the balcony was large with an amazing view of the beach, town, and La Rocca. The bathroom was a good size though the shower was small. The room did provide a safe and a small refridgerator. As an added bonus, I must say that this room had the best hairdryer of any hotel I've stayed in in Europe. This hotel is not only close to the beach, but a 5 minute walk into town with lots of people watching on the way. Breakfast is served outside in the garden. The dining staff was very attentive, especially the main server (I think his name was Alberto- forgive me if I got this wrong, he was a very professional and nice person and spoke multiple languages fluently- he is a true asset to this hotel). Anyways, the breakfast was decent and served in a nice setting. There is free parking on the street in front of the hotel. Once when we went for a drive (to a great local restaurant by the marina called La Tavernetta), we couldn't find a spot and the front desk staff was very helpful and parked the car for us. We left the keys with the front desk for the rest of the trip until our departure when they got the car for us. It was quote helpful to not have to worry about it. A few tips: 1) The hotel provides beach towels but they don't tell you this. You have to ask at the front desk. 2) The hotel also has a deal with one of the beach clubs for chair rentals. It brings the price down from 10 euro/person to 7 euro/person. Again they don't tell you this, but ask the front desk so they can give you a voucher to give to the attendant at the beach club. It's the one to the right, not directly in front of the hotel. I think it was the Apollo beach club- (highly recommend). 3) There is free wifi but again you have to ask at the front desk and they'll give you a code. It was fast and we were able to even upload pictures online.
I do hope that they eventually update the rooms- it would be quite nice if they would add some fresh bedding and decor in the rooms. We would stay here again and recommend it to anyone wanting the experience Cefalu and be seaside. (though I'll have my Italian in better form next time, haha)

Room Tip: go for the seafront room. it has a large balcony and though it's busy during the day, it is quie...
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2011

We stayed 5N here in a sea view room with balcony. We didn't use the hotel "paying" beach but just turned right from the hotel and went 100m down the steps to the sand. The roof top terrace is a relaxing place but there could be more umbrellas provided as featured in the hotel brochure photos! The staff were helpful and friendly and could speak English. The breakfast buffet was excellent and it was good to be able to cook our own eggs with toast! The free wifi is good. It's a short walk to the historical centre. There is a supermarket to the left of the hotel and left again. Maybe a 5min walk. There is a small fridge in the room.
Would recommend this hotel as a perfect place to unwind. We have been travelling for 3 weeks in Sicily and needed some relaxation!

Room Tip: Book a sea view room if available.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2011

We stayed 1 night at this hotel, and wished we could have stayed here longer. Great Location across the street from the ocean, and a 5 minute walk to the historical town center. Very clean and friendly service. Breakfast was served outdoors in their garden. They also have a nice restaurant for lunch or dinner overlooking the ocean. Wi-fi in the room. Would definitely stay there again.

Arlington, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2011 via mobile

This hotel is pricey but stayed for a honeymoon (200 € per night). Room are good for a European hotel and the staff is great. Location couldn't be better right across from the beach. Free wifi is a bonus and the breakfast outside is nice. Didn't not eat in the restaurant. Would stay here again but have no knowledge of the other few hotels on the beach.

• Stayed August 2011
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

Warmly received by the reception staff, we were ushered to our sea view room, brightly and tastefully decorated in blue and gold. The hotel is spotlessly maintained. Breakfast is served in an outdoor area, weather permitting and features a lovely variety of fruits. The staff could not have been more accomodating, the air conditioning was perfect and the location was right across from the water yet conveniently close to the town center.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

We stayed here for 6 days earlier this month. While we found the room rate (half board) was expensive, we thought it was the ideal hotel for this small resort town. For a 3 star hotel, it is very high end and in the perfect location. The beach is just across the street. Contrary to what I thought, the sunbeds and umbrellas at the affiliated beach are not included. There is a mere 10% discount for hotel guests, which works out to nothing. The breakfast was good, but it doesn't really change day per day. The dinners are good and we always enjoyed the selection. What really made our stay especially enjoyable here were the waitors (Arturo and Angelo) who were incredibly personable and attentive. I can't really say some of the other staff were as such. There is limited english spoken here, but that wasn't a problem for me since I am fluent in Italian. We had a room facing the sea and it was quite spacious, clean, and had a very nice size balcony. The beach is sandy and ideal for children. While here, do visit the islands of Lipari and Vulcano. We also did a day trip to Argigento to see the Valley of the Temples, but I found it too long of a drive (2 hrs each way) and not easy to get to with all the construction and detours.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Riva del Sole? Share your experiences!