“HIghlight of our Tuscan Trip” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Fattoria Tregole

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Castellina In Chianti
Fattoria Tregole
You added Fattoria Tregole to your Saves list
Localita Tregole 86, 53011 Castellina In Chianti, Italy   |
Florence, Italy
“HIghlight of our Tuscan Trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

Hello, I want to start off by saying this place is truly one of a kind, Edith, the owner, is extremely generous and even opened up her place a week early so we could celebrate our engagement there as we came right at the end of dead season, We stayed for 2 days and I could have stayed even longer as it was so relaxing and there are so many other quaint towns around, with Sienna and Florence near by. We started off this part of our trip with the wine tour from the famous Dario Castagno , who has written several books about the Tuscan region. He is a historian that is passionate about the area and will fill your mind with so many facts, that you will go home feeling like you know everything about the Tuscan area. We did a wine tasting with him as he showed us the Fattoria Tregole property, We are not the couple that usually loves going on tours in museums and having to listen to every fact the tour guide tells you, but we could have listened to Dario for hours and hours on end. After the wine tour, we went straight to the dining room, as it was about 7 pm, and had the most amazing meal. This was the last part of our trip in Italy, so keep in mind, that we had already eaten at some fabulous, fancy restaurants, This outdid every single place. The first night, Edith (the owner) and Margarita, (her best friend and helps her cook), made us an excellent salad with fresh vegetables from her garden, homemade mushroom risotto followed by pork medallions marinated in a Chianti wine sauce, and then finished off with the MOST fabulous chocolate almond cake. It was one of the best chocolate desserts I have ever eaten and I have an extreme love for chocolate. The next morning, we woke up, and Edith had us breakfast made in the dining room and helped us plan our day to Sienna, which was a very cool city to see, We then drove the country side all with the help of Edith and came home around 2 PM to rest up as we had our cooking lesson with Edith and Margarita at 4PM. The cooking lesson was the highlight of my trip alongside the wine tasting with Dario because I learned so much but in such a fun way, You dont even need to know how to cook to be able to enjoy this as they are very hands on, For this meal, she gave me a few options. She pays close attention to detail as we had mentioned that we weren't very big coffee drinkers when we first arrived, so she tweaked the tiramisu to be a strawberry rum tiramisu, instead of coffee, Thatt ms one word i would describe about this place. Detailed. Not only is it detailed, but it is so cozy and nice and the views are simply breathtaking, Back to the cooking lesson...after she gave me a few options, here is what i chose. We made homemade bruschetta with fresh olive oil from their olive trees and tomatoes from their garden. We then made handmade pasta which was very hard for a first timer but Edith walked me thru it and helped me feel like i was the new Julia Childs! One great thing to note is that Italian cooking is quite basic compared to French cooking, They use minimal ingredients and rely on the freshness of the ingredients and the combination of the ingredients and how they taste when put all together. With the pasta, we made a homemade ragu sauce. In America, we think of the red meat spaghetti sauce which i absolutely hate! So at first i was somewhat skeptical of the ragu sauce and told Edith about my concern and she was extremely accommodating. But the more we started cooking it, the better the smells and the better the look. Edith said that a true ragu sauce should almost be the color or the meat, not bright red like we have it in America. That is because we include food dyes and what not to make it look like what we think it supposed to appear. For the ragu sauce, it was quite simple. We used lean ground beef, olive oil, fresh tomatoes that had been picked from her garden in the summer, and sealed with basil and water to let the tomatoes become even softer. If you dont understand what I am talking about here, think going to buy a can of tomatoes from the grocery store, Except this was homemade and picked from her local garden in the back yard. We added a few spices to the ragu sauce and then let it simmer while we worked on our next pieces. For the main course, we had hammered chicken to make it thinner and covered it with flour and then sauteed it in olive oil. We served it with a white wine lemon sauce with fresh sage, again picked from their garden! We served this with fresh zucchini (again from the garden) and cooked it on simmer with some olive oil, so it was so tender and almost melted in your mouth. I didnt think i liked zucchini until i tried Edith's! We then began making strawberry tiramisu with the berries soaked in rum to get it the moisture we needed, Now I am not a huge tiramisu fan but oh my goodness was this delicious. We made fresh whipped cream, chopped chocolate so we had chocolate shavings, and the strawberries gave it such a unique finish that we had never had back in the States. I told my fiance, I had never seen him eat so fast....he cleaned his plate on every meal and the cooking was oh so tasty but didn't require a ton of ingredients which makes it more cost effective at the grocery store. I do think for me as a girl, the cooking lesson was the highlight of the trip to Edith's, but even if you arent a good cook or dont enjoy cooking, just give it a try. I think you might surprise yourself. It's also a lot more fun when you have Italian Prosecco to drink the entire time!

Overall, I would describe Edith's place as a hidden gem in the Tuscan area with the focus on the little details that take it from 5 stars to 6 stars (even though 5 is the highest!) She had a career in restoration of old buildings, so when she and her husband purchased this about 10 years ago, she added all the right touches but kept the Tuscan charm. My fiance and I have done some extensive traveling, and this by far, was one of the most relaxing, most unique experiences. I can't sing Edith's praises enough. She was such a lovely lady whom we both enjoyed talking to and learning about her background and she was so personable and friendly with us that we felt so comfortable talking to her about our engagement and our lives back in Dallas, TX. Their wine was delicious too, and is certified to meet the Italian Organic standards, which you will learn is quite the challenge to meet. We loved the wine so much, we shipped a case back to the States with us! All in all, this simply made our trip to Italy complete, and I think had we not done it, we would have come home and not been near as excited to share our once in a lifetime stories! Fattoria Tregole is the place to stay. The amenities are nice and she stocks the mini fridge with coke (for us Americans) along with many different juices. There is nothing negative I could even write about this place as our experience was 100% positive! Thank you again to Edith and all who helped put Fattoria Tregole to life!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Kirchlechner E, Proprietario at Fattoria Tregole, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Hi Julie and Dylan what a great review ! I am very happy that you had such a good time in Tregole with us and Julie you are really near to become the new Julia Childs . You remember so well all the recipes. I Wish you a lot of good meals with who you like most sipping our Chianti Classico!
All the best from Edith and of course from Margherita

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

We stayed at Fattoria Tregole in July 2012 and I can't believe its taken me this long to write a review. This place is absoloutley WONDERFUL!

We had a bit of a nightmare journey driving the hire car to Castellina In Chianti (this involved a misplaced wallet and getting a little lost on italian roads) so we only arrived at around 2am. Our hosts were so understanding and waited up for us to arrive, welcoming us with a huge smile (we can't thank you enough!).

When we awoke the next morning we were gobsmacked! This place is just stunning and exactly what you dream of.... Rolling hills with vineyards, olive trees, beautiful gardens with lavender bushes dotted around giving off the most beautiful scent. The farmhouse is romantic and rustic, the rooms large, airy and beautifully decorated. And the infinity pool is just the perfect place to relax..

Fattoria Tregole is really well situated to explore the Tuscan countryside and also visit Florence, Siena and San Gimignano.

Truly amazing stay.... highly recommend,

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Kirchlechner E, Proprietario at Fattoria Tregole, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
After all that time we are still in your heart ! Thats wonderful ! A great hello from all of us and I really hope to welcome you again.
Kentfield, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

Found Fattoria Tregole by accident, after our original destination in the same area was not available. What a FIND! Owner Edith is most gracious and welcoming; our suite was just perfect, with modern fixtures and a very comfortable bed and separate sitting room. Edith is also a fabulous cook, as we had brought some freshly picked black chanterelles and she fixed them in a funghi risotto which was to die for! Breakfast equally good. Beautiful surroundings, pool, garden areas. Views off into the vineyards and forests, under chestnut trees (home of more mushrooms), totally quiet. No TVs to interfere. Very convenient to Castellina and fairly close and direct to Siena. An ideal location!

Room Tip: The suite was very quiet and private. Upstairs in main stone building four rooms, all looking very...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guests thank you for your great review ! I am so happy when my guests appreciate my house and our beautiful Chianti and I hope to see you again.
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

Edith our Hostess was so warm and friendly, without being intrusive. She was on hand every morning to answer any questions we had, Breakfast was beautifully presented and delicious. Edith also gave us useful information on places to visit and restaurants to try. We were never disappointed with any restaurant and the food and wine was exceptional every time

Our spacious and beautifully appointed suite gave us breathtaking views of the vineyard. The mornings were peaceful and relaxed moving into wonderful days of exploring Chianti including visits to Florence, Siena and other hilltop villages. Because we hired a car we could stop along the way and take photos of some of the most beautiful scenery that you will ever see. Truly picture postcard stuff.

Our stay at Fattoria Tregole was exactly what we had always dreamed Tuscany would be like and more. We have stayed at quite a number of B & B's over the years but few have reached the high standard Edith has attained. We thank Edith so very much for her exceptional hospitality and for making us feel so at home.
Without a doubt we will be back.

Room Tip: If you like extra space then book a suite for not much extra. the one on the ground floor is perfec...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

We had a wonderful afternoon and luncheon at Tregole. Our guide, Dario Castagno, brought us for an in depth tour of the winery and a fabulous lunch as we learned the history of the area and wine making. It was a perfect Tuscan day...if only we could have stayed longer..perhaps next time!

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Buffalo, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

All of my life I have dreamt of traveling to Italy. Although the lure of Rome is appealing, my true wish was to experience a very authentic visit. I was dreaming of Tuscany. The wonderful stay my husband and I had to celebrate our wedding anniversary and his birthday was truly like a dream. The grounds and surrounding view of Tregole were amazing. The food and wine - perfecto! The people... as authentic, genuine and wonderful as you would imagine in this beautiful countryside.
We had the honor of being guests to a wine tour and education by Dario Castagno. He amazed us, not only with en education about wine, but with a real live history of the area that he has actually lived in, found, explored and recreated through vivid memory and lovely story telling. He had all of us captivated with his stories of the area.
Dario then gave my husband and I the honor of renewing our wedding vow in the chapel on Tregole's grounds - to me, the most beautiful chapel in the world because of this (second only to the one I was married in). Upon an email from my mother, Dario created a beautiful vow renewal with candles, flowers and a scroll detailing our vows. The vow renewal was a surprise to my husband and Dario planned and executed it perfectly. I will forever be grateful for the memory he created for myself and my husband.
As for Tregole....anyone who critiques this place should have had the knowledge and understanding to educate themselves on what to expect. The charm and simplicity - this is Tuscany. If you are looking for something else, this is not your place. Our stay was romantic, rustic and delicious. I miss Chianti Classico. Edith and Margarite hosted a cooking class that was also one of the highlights of our trip to Italy. I learned a great deal about what makes Tuscan food so delicious (I hope I can bring some of those lessons home)! Edith was so sweet and helpful, without being intrusive. Margarite was so adorable and a phenomenal and tireless cook! Again...perfecto!
Overall, the stay at Tregole was exactly what I had always wanted when I dreamt of visiting Italy. My best advice, rent a car and get lost in this beautiful countryside but be sure to make time for Tregole's offerings described above - you will not be sorry!

Room Tip: Loved Suite 1 - simple, roomy, can get wifi in sitting room.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

We were captivated by this charming family run Fattoria at an organic winery in the Chianti region of Tuscany. Our spacious apartment looked over breathtaking rural views and we enjoyed the wonderful hospitality provided by thoughtful owner Edith. Peaceful mornings and evenings, wonderful days of exploring Tuscany and easy car access to Florence, Siena and other hilltop towns. We enjoyed eating local produce independently at our table as well as savouring Edith's banquets in the dining room. It was a magical week. We look forward to returning.

• Stayed October 2013

Been to Fattoria Tregole? Share your experiences!