“Beautiful property, typical service for the environment” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Towers Hotel Stabiae Sorrento Coast

Save Saved
You added Towers Hotel Stabiae Sorrento Coast to your Saves list
Towers Hotel Stabiae Sorrento Coast
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   SS 145 Sorrentina, Km 12,400 | Localita' Pozzano, 80053 Castellammare Di Stabia, Italy   |
Manchester
“Beautiful property, typical service for the environment”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

I'm a platinum member of the ihg club so when looking where to stay, the crowne plaza near Sorrento appeared to the top choice. This is a beautiful hotel, great views of Naples and Vasuvious and absolutely peaceful and tranquil. The service did not blow us away, it was ok, but we found that the service across Italy is not the same as you would find in the UK or America. They have a different way of doing things so I don't think it was necessarily bad service, but simply a different culture. I also found out the hotel closes in a few weeks so no doubt the staff are at the end of their seasonal contracts.

The girl with the dark hair was very bubbly and went above and beyond for staff. The waiter at the bar was great too. We found across Italy though that staff are not that engaging with tourists/customers. They will quite happily walk over to their colleagues and have a 15 minute chat before coming to serve you, or walk away as soon as they have answered your question, whether or not you had other questions. Therefore I would strongly urge anyone put off by the reviews of the service for this hotel to reconsider going elsewhere as this is typical to the environment and you wont find any better elsewhere.

We took the bus from airport to the hotel. It cost 8euros and picked up outside terminal 2 at naples airport. The bus took us all the way to the hotel, although we had to run across a very busy road and took us up to 15 minutes everytime we crossed this road. The bus was a great service and we got it again to go downtown into Sorrento again a day later.

On arrival, we were told we had been upgraded to a suite, which was beautiful. The room was large, had a massive bathroom with a bath which could have fit several people in. A large terrace/balcony attached to our room looked out onto the sea. Absolute bliss. It was nice to be recongised for my frequent use of the brand, which this hotel very much did.

The shuttle is a great service, its just a shame there wasn't more of it. If you miss the shuttle, it costs 15 euros to get to the local train station of Vico Esque. However I recommend going down to Stabia, its a couple of euros cheaper and faster. We walked down to stabia one day, which was quite easy and took about half an hour. However for evenings out or meals I recommend Vico... its a beautiful town. The best bit about the shuttle is that they have a pick up at 8pm and midnight from Sorrento train station. We used it every night and it was brilliant. One around 9/10pm would be good too as sometimes we didnt want to quite stay so late as midnight.

The restaurant is expensive and average food, but is ok and I'd say only go there if you are tired and don't want to leave the hotel. We went for lunch and dinner on the first day. Its very easy to get to other restaurants near by so I strongly urge you to go out elsewhere.

From this hotel is very easy to get to naples, pompei, herculaneum and sorrento by train. The trains run regularly, one every 20 minutes each way and easy to use.

Breakfast was 20euros per person per day, which is quite expensive, but once again we find this very typical across italy. It would have been good if the bar sold some snack food like pastries, just so those who didnt want to go for the full breakfast could buy a snack at the bar, as there is little else around and we went hungry until lunch time on most days.

Overall this is a brilliant hotel, beautiful property, comfortable, clean, great amenities and easy to get to other places around the area. My suggestions and criticism are minor, as we had genuinely a brilliant time. I'd definitely come and stay again and we had a wonderful time so thank you to the Crowne Plaza!

Room Tip: One of the suites on the front are lovely
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

590 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Cleveland, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

Thank goodness we were only here 2 nights, it was awful from the start.
arrived from our flight about noon(we had left our last destination at 3am) no instructions on where to park the car , so after unloading our luggage ourselves we found our own space in one of the underground car parks.
Reception immediately told us no room ready for you until checkin time at 2pm.
we weren't advised to perhaps wait by the pool, terrace or anything so we sat in reception with our luggage. First seat I sat in was wet, I hopefully assume someone had come in from their pool , I moved to another seat and there we sat until exactly 2pm-then the mature gentlemen on reception gave us a key-no instructions on where to find the room or assistance with luggage, when I returned later to ask for the broadband code (I am a Crowne plaza member) he questioned me on my number despite the fact that I pointed out this was confirmed on my reservation.
Our so called seaview room looked onto a big cement column mostly blocking the view, our window looked onto the restaurant roof, this was dirty and had rubbish sitting on it.
Our waterside table for dinner was cancelled as we arrived 20 minutes late from a boat trip to Capri.
The male reception staff were incredibly rude and unhelpful, we were happy to leave. I had spent weeks choosing where to stay near Naples as my father was stationed there in the war helping to evacuate Vesuvius, it spoilt my visit.
thankfully the next family run hotel at Amalfi was great.. I cannot recommend this hotel awful staff, breakfast not great, pool cold, and seaview room a letdown

Room Tip: don't go
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Towers Hotel Stabiae Sorrento Coast, responded to this review, October 26, 2013
Dear magsrich,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of our hotel. We assure you that we are committed to delivering quality in all aspects of the guest experience and appreciate your feedback. I would like to apologize for the issues you encountered with your room accommodations and if the level of staff service during your travel weren't that at par with your expectations. I have taken note of your comments and we will address these points to improve upon our service.

While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to host you again should your travels bring you back to the area.

Zelyn N
Beverly, mass
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

Hotel was recently built / re-built. Rooms are modern, clean and well appointed. Hotel was on a rocky beach and the location was quite beautiful. Free Wi-Fi with personal device in lobby. Hotel is Very easy to get to and in and out of. Very convenient if you have transportation. Nothing is within walking distance. If you decide to walk anywhere, the road is the major highway and can be dangerous. Had dinner here and the food was marginal at best? Had the meat and it was mostly inedible? I think that it came from a non-bovine species. Vegetables were fresh and good. Desert was ok but not memorable. Breakfast was no better. Scrambled eggs looked like they were from powdered and had a liquid sheen over them. Didn't dare try the bacon or sausage either. Coffee was ok, but the urn it was in was broken and it had to be tilted to work. Cheese, granola and breads were good. Fresh fruit was very good.

Dear Jake_MA_11,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. We are so glad you found our rooms to be modern and well appointed. Please allow us to apologize for the shortfalls you have noticed and any inconvenience you may have experienced that did not live up to your expectations. Your feedback is very important to us as this continually helps us improve the facilities and guest services we offer to our guests. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Anthony M
Rocky River, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

We spent a week in Rome at a luxury hotel and loved it,then decided to drive to the amalfian coast. We are still talking about that drive! Much more exciting than a tour and we were able to see what we wanted..when we wanted. Cute places buses can't get to. I would not change a thing except for this hotel...didn't like it. This place is not for couples,didn't like the decor,the food,the people at desk were not real helpful(and I speak Italian). Don't stay in Naples...too dangerous.

Room Tip: Some rooms face the volcano Vesuvius
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Towers Hotel Stabiae Sorrento Coast, responded to this review, October 13, 2013
Dear Wanda B,

Thank you for leaving a review about your recent stay with us. It was truly unfortunate to see that your experience was not completely satisfactory. We are confident that this feedback will assist in ensuring a more positive experience for you and other future guests. We do hope that should your travels bring you back to Italy that we would have an opportunity to show you just how great our hotel really is.

Adrian D.
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

My husband and I stayed here as part of our honeymoon in September 2013.

Do not expect any special honeymoon treatment or acknowledgement of your special occasion. We were told our room had a "good view" -- yep, a great view of the driveway and the lobby entrance. It was incredibly loud and not romantic. Big bummer since there are rooms with FANTASTIC views of Vesuvios and the front desk did not think to pay special attention to us for our romantic getaway.

The hotel has amazing views (if you are lucky enough to get a good room) and the beach is nice. Note that the beach and pool are only open until 7:00pm, so don't plan on any nighttime swimming. Also, another bummer.

The restaurant has good food. The breakfast was outstanding and the staff was helpful when we were trying to make any arrangements for tours.

Also, do not stay here if you want to walk to restaurants, etc. You will need to take the train, local bus, or hotel shuttle. As other reviews have stated, it's not that big of an issue as long as you plan your day. The shuttle was very timely and easy to navigate.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a sea view room.
Dear Kim564,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. I appreciate your positive feedback on our restaurant service and staff. We work diligently to ensure our facilities and services are superior and we try our hardest to provide not just good value, but comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. I am sorry to hear that there were certain aspects of your visit that did not meet your standards in particular the room accommodation. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience it may have caused you.The feedback we receive from you enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We hope to have an opportunity to serve you again in the near future and provide you with the service you deserve and expect from us.

Lera P
Leigh-on Sea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013 via mobile

Just backed from great 7 night stay at Crown Plaza.We had great room with balcony looking out to mount Vesuvios, room was excellent big and lovely bathroom.Hotel restaurant was very good serving 4 courses for 40 euro,well worth trying and with outside seating with greats views over Bay of Naples.Food and staff excellent and very friendly throughout our stay. Wi fi not a problem to us, and 2 hours a day was fine as we are not people who live on our phones like so many you seem to see. Hotel is isolated but if you do your homework ie bus and trains then is easy to move around. At very cheap cost, we traveled out each day and even used underground to Naples. Then ended eve with ferry to Serrento. Great fun , so much to see and do Amalfi, Serrento,Positano.Vico Equense. Also Pompei and mount Vesuvios and Capri island and the blue grotto. Had two boat trips arranged through hotel, both were excellent and included swimming in open blue sea. Wonderful. One thing I must say is don't drink tea as they charge 3/4 euro per cup. In fact got charged 8.5 euro for two cups in Amalfi .Total rip off, beer better value.Overal a great holiday. And all helped with staying at crown plaza .Thank you

• Stayed September 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

I have read through all the other reviews and don't understand what everyones problem was.
The hotel itself is very nice. Fresh and Modern. It is outside Sorrento which can pose its problems if you have not done your research.
We got the train from Napoli to 'Pozzano' on the Cirumvesuviana line which left us a brief 7/8 minute walk from the hotel. The only problem is Pozzano does not have a ticket office so if you are planning on using the train you need to get your tickets in Sorrento the day before (Im sure you can by a week one) or else get the hotel Shuttle to Vico Equense and get the train from there.
The hotel had a shuttle to Sorrento and there was also a public bus which stopped outside. We got the hotel shuttle in almost every evening and it cam back at 12 which was nice as we were not out too late any evening. I would not recommend driving to anyone as the Italians (no offense folks!) are terrifying on the road and would cut you off left right and centre!!
The hotel was very friendly. As mentioned before Pepe is one of the nicest barmen you could deal with. He always remembered us and our drinks. He was friendly, funny and a pleasure. The rest of the staff I found very pleasant. I did not meet one member of staff who were rude. Going by Italy in general I found everyone quite abrupt, I wouldn't call it rude I would be inclined to think they have a different manor, but once you engaged them anyone I spoke with was pleasant and helpful even though we hadn't a word of italian between us!
Any time I asked the staff a question they answered it. The Wifi is not free as mentioned but you can get an hour free first and then pay after that. This did not bother me as I was away to relax and people who can not enjoy their holiday without being stuck to the internet probably should not be on holiday in the first place.
The Spa is lovely. Very peaceful and relaxing. Prices were not that much different than at home. People were complaining about the price of the restaurant. We have a beautiful meal, 3 courses and a bottle of wine (very nice wine on the Maitre D's reccommendation) was €92. Quite normal by Irish standards especially for the kind of food they were serving. You could clearly see that every staff had a job and a certain station to serve. They all did their job very well and we had a very enjoyable meal. I am very baffled as to why people have not enjoyed their stay.
If you want to be more central certainly go and stay in Sorrento but it was such a busy city I was very happy to come each day and relax in the peace and quiet overlooking the beautiful bay of Naples and Mt Vesuvius. The bus schedule means planning you day out in advance but once you are organised there is no issues. Rooms were amazing. Fantastic view overlooking the sea. Watched some of the most beautiful sunsets I have ever seen.
I really do not have anything bad to say. The staff were lovely, friendly and helpful when asked. The rooms was fabulous. Breakfast was pricey by hotel standards but very tasty and good choice. Bar menu is limited for the lack of alternatives in the area but the drinks menu is fantastic and coffee is delicious. The private beach was lovely and the pol was beautiful. Tv's are not dated, all flat screen as far as I could see. I do not understand any traveller in a foreign language country giving out about no English speaking channels. That is very rude in my opinion. The staff and locals are good enough to understand English and speak it at a conversational if not better level than 99% of the tourists I seen could speak Italian. Expecting English television is simply mind baffling.
Overall we had the most amazing holiday in one of the most beautiful parts of the world. Would definitely recommend and will certainly be staying again the next time.

Room Tip: Sea View rooms are a must. Plan your day i advance. Saves time wasted waiting on trains/buses etc.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Towers Hotel Stabiae Sorrento Coast? Share your experiences!