My Husband and I visited this beautiful hotel for our honeymoon in late July/early August 2013. I’m sure many people say this, but our honeymoon was perfect...and that was in no small part due to this wonderful hotel.
Location & travel: Castellammare Di Stabia is roughly halfway between Sorrento and Naples, slightly closer to Sorrento. The hotel itself is less than a mile away from the town centre, where the train station is located. You can easily walk along the roadside to the town centre (uphill on the way back I’m afraid!), which we did on several occasions. The hotel makes it really easy to get to town – they run a shuttle bus service several times a day, which you can book a place on for free, to take you to the train station. You can arrange for the hotel to pick you up for a small fee (we paid €10 per person), or you can get a local taxi, of which there are many situated around the train station, or you can walk (via the several ice cream parlours!). The train line is exactly what we wanted – it goes from Sorrento to Naples, but the stops along the way include those for Herculaneum, Vesuvius and Pompeii, which were exactly what we wanted to see. Seriously, some of the most amazing experiences we’ve ever had. From Sorrento, there are boat trips to Capri, which you can either organise yourself, or go on the one of the excursions the hotel organises. There were two available to us, one on a cruise-type ship and one on a private yacht for up to 8 people – we went on the latter excursion and it was one of the best excursions we’ve ever experienced. Very good for couples! Very good value too, especially when compared to prices in Sorrento itself for similar boat trips. They also included travel to and from the train station and the harbour once in Sorrento.
Hotel surroundings etc: The hotel is BEAUTIFUL. It's a luxurious setting in the middle of an lemon/orange grove, which means the gardens are just bursting with bright fruit everywhere. There are traditional statues adding to the elegance of the hotel, dotted around the place in a sophisticated matter. The rooms were huge, decorated in keeping with the ambience of the hotel, and scrupulously clean. The reception rooms included 2 pianos! We mainly ate outside, where the restaurant was usually open, as it was such lovely weather, being outside was definitely what we wanted. On one occasion, when the restaurant was in use for a wedding, we ate on the top floor of the hotel, which was very classically designed and was a truly lovely evening. The food was OUT OF THIS WORLD. The menu was highly varied, something different every day, and the desserts were all fresh from the trolley (where you could sample a bit of everything if you liked!). The outdoor bar was lovely and the seats were dotted through the grove. Cocktails were amazing!
Staff: It was the warm, welcoming and helpful atmosphere created by the staff that made the most difference. The owner came to greet us personally and often came to say hello whilst we around the restaurant and make sure we were enjoying our stay. The staff at reception were extremely helpful, particularly when organising trips out and anything we might need during our stay. The restaurant staff were AMAZING, particularly Maria and Antonio, who personally saw to our every need. Once she had found out we liked sorbet, Maria even organised a special sorbet just for the two of us for dessert the following day (AND allowed us to have dessert from the trolley!). They were so friendly and made us want to eat in the restaurant every evening (which we did apart from one!). Maria even posed with us for a picture!
All in all, the entire experience was amazing and we would highly recommend this hotel to anyone. Yes, we were a couple, but there were several families there, with children, who all seemed to enjoy it also. We didn't actually go into the pool, but it looked really nice and everyone seemed to be having fun.
If were ever go back there, we will DEFINITELY be staying in this hotel!
- Also Known As:
- Grand Hotel Castellammare Di Stabia
- La Medusa Grand Hotel Italy/Castellammare Di Stabia, Province Of Naples
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Superior four-star Hotel is a romantic villa "fin de siècle" made up of 49 rooms, whose restoration is constantly in balance between the respect for the past and the influence of contemporary style.A unique and authentic place made of beautiful old trees and surrounded by green surfaces, that admires the spectacular Bay of Naples and Mount Vesuvius.On one hand, the common areas, characterized by an unmistakable style and a wonderful elegance, which completely respect the important classical style of the structure; on the other hand, the rooms, a continuous alternation of contemporary and classical Design.A Hotel, on its own, marked by a deeply individual style where the care for details, quality and hospitality represents the common denominator.The ceramics of Amalfi Coast hand-painted with an exclusive design, the antique furniture and tapestries characterize the lobby, the bar and the restaurant situated on the ground floor of the hotel; so quiet places, that make possible living in a private and protected dimension... where each detail becomes a pleasure to be relished. The huge glass windows in «Liberty Style» divide the building from the secular park: an explosion of flowers and colours, a wide open-air sitting-room completely equipped with chaise-longue, easy-chairs and gazebos; an unforgettable atmosphere beyond every expectation.Around the park full of flowers, the outside «Fitness Corner» represents an opportunity to keep oneself fit in an uncontaminated and healthy environment; the wellness swimming-pool with geysers, the sun beds, the large solarium represent an occasion of certain and pleasant relax. From here just a step to get to the «Pool Bar» for an aperitif, and another for sipping a vintage wine at the outside restaurant «Il Gazebo & Le Terrazze» in the middle of the citrus grove.Here the Chef suggests a refined, precious Mediterranean and International cuisine, a perfect balance among tastes, smells and colours.Excellent services like a Mercedes shuttle bus to the city centre or the close beaches, the free parking, the opportunity to rent a yacht or book private excursions and much more... will make your stay unforgettable. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Venere, Travelocity, Priceline, Splendia, Hotels.com, Tingo, Agoda, Escapio and Expedia so you can book your La Medusa Grand Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.