We really enjoyed our trip to Italy and to La Medusa Grand. We were slightly apprehensive at first, mainly due to tripadvisor reviews which suggested the hotel was difficult to get to and to get around from - this is not true! We got to the hotel via buses and the train from Naples - fairly easy (and, following the earlier review which suggested a short cut, only a 20 min walk from the station to the hotel). If you are prepared to walk it is absolutely fine!! If not the taxi's to and from the station are €10 each way - which is not bad considering how cheap the trains are; €2.90 from Naples!! We went to Sorrento, Capri (using the hydrofoil from the port in C.Marre - €10 taxi to the port as a bit early to walk!), Herculaneum, Pompeii and Vesuvius.
The town itself may seem quite run down but we actually found it to be very authentic - as much as we loved Sorrento; it is a tourist town so everything is expensive and dare I say a little 'fake'. On the day we went to Capri we arrived back in town at around half 6 and the town was buzzing - loads of places open; we had some fabulous pizza for €1 a slice from a place opposite the beach.
The hotel itself is fab - food is lovely although some nights left a bit to be desired in terms of value for money with regards to the set menu (€40). BUT you don't need to eat the set menu you can also order from the a la carte menu (pasta's around €20) OR order sandwiches (ca. €12) from the pool bar. It's also really lovely to eat on the terrace - one night we ate in the 4th floor restaurant and I personally didn't like it (too bright! - maybe dim the lights so you can see the view?!)
Rooms were kept clean. Toiletries weren't very good - no shampoo / conditioner - but bath foam provided even though no bath (I am being picky now!).
Grounds were lovely but make sure you wear insect repellent. Pool was great as well. Gym not really a gym - so if you are thinking you might want to use it; it's not up to much!
All in all a great hotel - we plan to go back to Italy as 6 days was far too short. We would definitely stay there again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Superior four-star Hotel is a romantic villa "fin de siècle" made up of 49 rooms, whose restoration is constantly in balance between the respect for the past and the influence of contemporary style.A unique and authentic place made of beautiful old trees and surrounded by green surfaces, that admires the spectacular Bay of Naples and Mount Vesuvius.On one hand, the common areas, characterized by an unmistakable style and a wonderful elegance, which completely respect the important classical style of the structure; on the other hand, the rooms, a continuous alternation of contemporary and classical Design.A Hotel, on its own, marked by a deeply individual style where the care for details, quality and hospitality represents the common denominator.The ceramics of Amalfi Coast hand-painted with an exclusive design, the antique furniture and tapestries characterize the lobby, the bar and the restaurant situated on the ground floor of the hotel; so quiet places, that make possible living in a private and protected dimension... where each detail becomes a pleasure to be relished. The huge glass windows in «Liberty Style» divide the building from the secular park: an explosion of flowers and colours, a wide open-air sitting-room completely equipped with chaise-longue, easy-chairs and gazebos; an unforgettable atmosphere beyond every expectation.Around the park full of flowers, the outside «Fitness Corner» represents an opportunity to keep oneself fit in an uncontaminated and healthy environment; the wellness swimming-pool with geysers, the sun beds, the large solarium represent an occasion of certain and pleasant relax. From here just a step to get to the «Pool Bar» for an aperitif, and another for sipping a vintage wine at the outside restaurant «Il Gazebo & Le Terrazze» in the middle of the citrus grove.Here the Chef suggests a refined, precious Mediterranean and International cuisine, a perfect balance among tastes, smells and colours.Excellent services like a Mercedes shuttle bus to the city centre or the close beaches, the free parking, the opportunity to rent a yacht or book private excursions and much more... will make your stay unforgettable. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Venere, Agoda, Priceline, Escapio, Travelocity, Despegar.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your La Medusa Grand Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Hotel Castellammare Di Stabia
- La Medusa Grand Hotel Italy/Castellammare Di Stabia, Province Of Naples