“Almost as good as Pompeii” 5 of 5 stars

39 081 8575347
Improve this listing
Type: Ancient Ruins, Cultural
3 attraction reviews
“Almost as good as Pompeii”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

It was so interesting to be able to walk through these villas and see how the wealthy Romans lived. You can't actually do that in Pompeii. Yes, a caretaker did guide us but he showed us things that we might not have seen. My husband knows some Spanish and was able to understand a lot of things he said. We decided at the end of the "tour" that he probably wanted to keep an eye on the tourists so that walls and other items weren't vandalized. Most amazing was a little square "pool" that was built next to the kitchen where live fish were kept until needed for a meal. My husband, a former archeologist, felt that Stabia was actually more interesting than Pompeii.

Visited October 2012

Canberra, Australia
22 attraction reviews
“Peaceful chance to study some Roman villas”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

After a full day at Pompeii, a few hours spent without tourist at the Scavi di Stabia were welcome. A little tricky to find, but once in the correct place it was fascinating to walk around Villa San Marco, an immense Villa complex being restored and protected. Only a small portion is available to visit, however it is worth it to see the remains of what frescos were left from when it was originally excavated in the 18th century.

The rooms, mosaic floors and frescos are well preserved, despite the best having been removed when discovered. There was only one other couple when we were there, making it a great change from the crowds of Pompeii the day before.

1 kilometre further down the road is the Villa Arianna; overlooking the sea on the ridgeline, there are many well preserved rooms and frescos here well worth seeing. We were met by a caretaker who started taking us on a tour unrequested. Speaking in only Italian, it was interesting even if not so easy to follow it all. His tour was a little overwhelming overall, and we eventually asked him to allow us to continue on our own. He asked for a 'small gift' for his tour, before leaving.

If your understanding is not great, it would be better to be up front about this despite him showing us many things that we otherwise would have missed. It was a really worthwhile stop.

In the immediate are are market gardens, some selling fruit and vegetables at roadside stalls that provides the opportunity to buy some fresh produce.

Visited July 2012
UK
“Roman villas”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

Within walking distance are Roman villas destroyed in the eruption of 79AD. The opulence of the villas and the wealth of the Romans who stayed in them is overwhelming. Well worth a visit.

Visited June 2012
Bulgaria
11 attraction reviews
“Need of more information”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

I found the place by luck. An italian very kind man stoped me as he understood that I am not an italian and kindly asked me did I visit the arheological attraction. When I said NO, but I would love to see and learn more, he give me directions and I found the place. It was nice to go around but I coudnt actually feel the time. May be some broshures or man who can tell few more words about that nice antient place.

Visited May 2012
Basildon, United Kingdom
“Scavi di Stabia”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2012

Great but I cant really remember I know it was excellent

Visited June 2011