We stayed four days and wish it could have been longer. The initial booking arrangements and communication with Francesco was excellent. When we showed up at the door after a long day of driving, he was waiting for us and quickly checked us in, offered to carry our bags and was waiting to pour us a drink at the bar. The hotel was full for one night, partially booked for two and we were the only guests for one night. The service remained stellar throughout.
We had a 'panorama' room with a full queen bed (not 2 twins pushed together). The room was very clean we had no problem with sounds from other rooms or the road. The room is a bit smallish but does have a full sized closet, nightstands and a nice desk and chair. The bathroom is the largest we encountered in Italy with a nice sized shower and a door to the balcony. A bit odd having a balcony off the bathroom but it worked well since my wife enjoys rising early and reading on the patio chair before I get up. The windows and patio face south to enjoy the sun.
We had pre-arranged a cooking class and it was fantastic. Enrico arranged for the chef to cook the pasta we had created for the evening dinner. All the meals we had were fantastic with most ingredients sourced locally. The mushroom soup was made from mushrooms picked within 300 meters of the hotel. Very thick and a meal in itself. There is also a good sized salad and dessert bar if you chose. That was great as it gave us a chance to try some of the cold meats and cheeses that we normally would not order.
There was a full selection for breakfast. Everything including meats, bread, cheeses, yogurt, cereals, pastries, pies, fresh fruit, juice, coffee... you could not want anything more.
In the evening, they offer both a la carte as well as a fixed price menu, which is great. That gives you the choice of having either a full meal or less if you are not so hungry. I thought the prices were very fair, considering that the prices include taxes and service.
The hotel is right at the base of a ski slope which would be great in the winter. We walked through many of the trails on the slopes of Mt. Amiata which was very colourful and peaceful. Plenty of opportunities for hiking, biking, painting, etc.
While we were there, Francesco encouraged us to go to two local towns that were having mushroom and chestnut festivals. That turned into a full day of discovery on it's own. All the staff are very knowledgeable and proud of the area.
The only downside is that this hotel is pretty much in the middle of nowhere IF you want to have other restaurants, stores, etc. nearby. We booked this and loved it for the peace, quiet and tranquility of the entire area. It's so nice to be away from tourist traps when you are visiting Italy and enjoy the serenity of the countryside.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Since 1972, Le Macinaie Hotel has been an old chestnut mill, completely refurbished in 1999. The family managed hotel is located on Monte Amiata (at 1400 M a.s.l.), the unknown Tuscan Volcano, which was sacred to the Etruscan's. The hotel lies in a beautiful clearing, surrounded by Italy's largest beech wood, with a breathtaking view to the peak of the Volcano. It counts 17 comfortable and charming rooms including a free of charge WIFI connection and internet corner. After your daily hiking, biking, motorbiking or gourmet tour which Enrico & Francesco are able to suggest, customize and book, you can enjoy our tiny relaxing area which includes infra-red Sauna, Whirlpool, and Tanning booth.In the evening or for lunch our Restaurant, where Chef Giorgio & Claudia propose local, handmade & Tuscan dishes is famous for its mushroom soup and grilled edible boletus cap. In the morning our rich buffet breakfast is welcoming you and you will be ready for a new and unforgettable travel experience… ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, Hotels.com and Agoda so you can book your Hotel Le Macinaie - Monte Amiata reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Le Macinaie Albergo Ristorante Hotel
- Hotel Le Macinaie - Monte Amiata Castel Del Piano, Italy - Tuscany