“The best and most romantic beach hotel in Tuscany” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Tombolo Talasso Resort

Save Saved
You added Tombolo Talasso Resort to your Saves list
Tombolo Talasso Resort
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Via Del Corallo 3 | Marina Di Castagneto Carducci, 57024 Castagneto Carducci, Italy   |
“The best and most romantic beach hotel in Tuscany”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

Tombolo is my favorite hotel in Tuscany and I've been there several times. The hotel has its own private and clean beach with good service.
The hotel has a nice restaurant with good service and a fine menu.
Breakfast is excellent and varied.
There is a piano bar with a superb views over the water.
Every company and every hotel has a body, a soul and a heart.
At Tombolo the fantastic location is the body. The soul is the staff with Nicoletta at the reception as the beautiful center. Tombolos heart is the skilful and sympathetic pianist and singer Roberto Cardillo.
I will be a guest at this hotel many times more.

Room Tip: Go for the rooms at 1. floor with a balcony.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

452 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

2 days stay here during Tuscany cycling. I took advantage of spa treatments. Wonderful service, reasonable prices and soothing ambiance. The bartenders were top notch, expertly whipping up chilly martinis and serving me on the veranda overlooking the Mediterranean. The breakfast buffet was very well stocked, attentive servers and delicious fare. The rooms were roomy, well appointed and the beds were delicious feather nests begging to be slept in. Great time, great locaton & fine service!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Laurelville, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

We stayed her 2 nights in June 2012 and found the experience to be some good and some bad. The reception staff was friendly and helpful. The restaurant staff and food leaves a lot to be desired. When we showed up at dinner we were dressed very nice, but the men had shorts on. As we started to our table, we were told "it is not possible to eat with shorts on". This would not have bothered me had we been told previously, and/or the person was nice when he said what he said. He was rather rude, looked upset that we had shorts on, and walked away, making me feel like an idiot. The dinner was ok, not great and not bad. However, we ordered appetizers before our meal and instead of bringing the appetizers first and then the meals when we were finished, they brought it all at the same time. They did this both nights. The menu was limited but there is separate menu you can order off of if you order 24 hours in advance that gives you some better options. It is the same wait staff for breakfast, lunch, and dinner but the breakfast and lunch are served buffet style and I thought they were pretty good. The rooms are just an average room, nothing special, but not bad. The beach area is great except they do not have a service area there. If you need a water, I think you can get one, but if you want to enjoy a Pina Collada, forget about it. This still perplexes me. There is nothing to do in the surrounding areas either. There are no good restaurants or nightlife to enjoy, so if you are not looking for just a beach to enjoy, don't go here. The average nightly rate here was higher than our hotels in Venice, Florence, and Rome and we stayed in 3 star(Europe) 5 star (american) hotels on our entire trip.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, CEO - Amministratore Unico at Tombolo Talasso Resort, responded to this review, July 3, 2012
Dear Guest,
Many thanks for your comments and indeed we do have a policy of no shorts for dinner and this policy is clearly written in our written confirmation and inside the room. We apologize if you found the manner with which you were comunicated of such policy unfriendly but its most likely a comunication/language difficulty although all our restaurant staff does speak english.
One of our latest challenges has been to reduce to the bare minimum the waiting time for our clients but in your case it must have been a misundertstanding between the restaurant staff and kitchen and accept my apologies if you receive the appetizers at the same time as your main courses.
In order to offer a good variety of local traditional food, we have decided to implement a rotating menu thet changes every day for 12 days in a row so that every night you may enjoy different choices as we have many long stay customers during the summer period. The seperate menu is relative to shell fish, oysters and lobsters and mixed grill fish and meat, for which its necessary to order it 24h in advance so that we may guarantee the freshness of the products and the customers enjoyment.
I am happy that you enjoyed our buffet breakfast and lunch and I confirm that you may have water free of charge and all the cocktails by the pool bar.
We have different categories of rooms and their specifics are clearly detailed on our internet site, I am unable to see the category you stayed in but I assure you that all our rooms are different and with many contents of artisan work.
In so far as things to do, we are known for being one of the best thalasso therapy center in europe with a very unique and scenographic setting along with a large spa with a wide selection of treatments.
Locally and in the surrounding area, there are the most famous wineries of Italy producing Italy’s top wine and the Bolgheri area is known world wide. Along with wine there are top quality restaurants within 15-20 minutes of the hotel some of which are Michelin star rated, excellent wine bars inside the many lovely medieval villages and castles such as Bolgheri and Castagneto Carducci, where you may enjoy fine wine and food and learn about the local culture and history.
Not far from the hotel there is one of the last remaining Etruscan settlements that is open every day or you may go on an excursion to Elba Island and visit where Napoleoan was exhiled. Volterra and San Gimignano and Pisa are less that one hour away.
Finally, in so far as our rates are concerned, we have many different rates plan depending on the lead time whth which you reserve and some of our rates are most competitve
Loveland, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

We stayed at the Tombolo Talasso Resort for 2 nights while on a biking trip. The location was beautiful, but our room was challenging. The bed was 2 inches off the floor and the shower leaked so badly that it completely flooded the bathroom floor. We had to ask one of our trip leaders to intervene for us to try to get us another room. We were told that we could move but our leader would have to move our luggage to the new room - the hotel would not do that for us. We definitely felt out of place and not welcomed by the service people. If you're an outdoor person (biker/hiker), this would not be the place for you.

Room Tip: Check out your room before unpacking. Make sure everything is in order and working properly.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
FabioGuarducci, CEO - Amministratore Unico at Tombolo Talasso Resort, responded to this review, June 13, 2012
Dear Guest,
many thanks for your views and as you were recently in our hotel , we were able to verify in real time the mentioned points. The shower does leak if the doors are not closed well and as for your request to change the room , the hotel staff not only accepted your request but was also ready and willing to send you the bell boy if requested directly . As you did not inform them , we were not put in a position to render the needed service. We work with the organization with which you came since 10 years and we are most happy to welcome all the foreign guests biking in tuscany and exploring our beautifull region. Thank you for your comments and do accept our apolgies if you felt out of place in our establishment.
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2011

This was my 2nd visit to Tombolo Talasso Resort - my first visit being so enjoyable I couldn't wait to get back. The service was again 1st rate. As is the resort location and the hotel itself. The resort is centrally located in Tuscany wine country and this last trip was grape/olive harvest season. Having a car allowed us to visit many local castles, restaurants, wineries, and historical sites - all within easy driving distance. The countryside is beautiful. And once the day was done the hotel spa is world class and often ended with a relaxing soak in the Thalassotherapy Wellness Centre and Spa. All in all the accomodations, food and service is first class. I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: lots of rooms to chose from. great for just a couple or larger groups
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2011

I have spent 3 separate weekend at Tombolo, while I was in Florence for the month of July. I was looking for a place to relax,pamper myself and kissed by Tuscan sun. I made my first reservation on line which I found extremely efficient. When I called the reception I had even the train schedule and pick up arranged for me in 10 min telephone call with very knowledgeable
Staff. When I arrived I was impressed not only with quick check in but also with the friendliness of the staff and my room. I indulged my self with wide range of spa treatment with great products, spent lots of time on their private sandy beach. Their chef takes a big pride in his selection and variety! Your eyes and stomach will be full filled. I loved their 7 grain croissant with home made fresh butter for breakfast. I was solo this time but I am bringing my girl friends next August for a real treat.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

Around two dozen of us stayed at this hotel having been to a wedding in Siena the week before. The age range of our group went from 4 months to 80 with family members coming from Germany, Iran, UK and the USA, so it was a challenge for the hotel, but they looked after us well. The biggest gripe was that there were only 3 small drawers in eah bedroom. Fine if you come to chill for a few days, but if you are travelling from a long way away and this is just one place you are visiting, then it is not good enough. However, to make up for that the beds were extremely comfortable. It was also clean and well maintained even if the rooms were not particularly spacious. Room service was brilliant, the towels forever being replaced and the room cleaned.

As we were breakfast only we ate out each day so cannot comment on the food except for breakfast which was more than adequate. The terrace bar overlooking the sea as the sun went down was also extremely pleasant.

The hotel has its own section of the beach with towels and water available. It also meant that you did not have to scramble for an umbrella.

This hotel was booked for us all through a German agency which offered a far better price than any from the UK.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Been to Tombolo Talasso Resort? Share your experiences!