My husband and I have just spent the most amazing 5 days in Poltu Quatu, Sardinia celebrating our wedding anniversary. We stayed from 25 June to 30 June 2013 and were half board. We were in a superior room overlooking the children’s pool area.
Highlights (in no particular order)
- Location of the hotel – equidistant between Baia Sardinia and Porto Cervo
- Free parking at the hotel
- Complimentary free drink on arrival from the pool side bar (non alcoholic!)
- The views from the dining room at breakfast/dinner – overlooking Poltu Quatu marina were simply stunning
- The high level standard of cleanliness throughout the hotel. Our room was visited daily by the hotel cleaners. Soon after we had arrived we had a knock on the door, the cleaner was just checking to see if we were happy with the standard of the cleanliness in our room. There was also a turn down service
- Pool loungers were comfy with comfy spongy pads with headrests. Didn’t see or experience any rush for beds or towels being used to secure beds, which was very nice.
- Towels for the pool obtained from the life guard and for the beach
- Breakfast - star of the show, everything you can possibly imagine and more! Was probably one of the best breakfasts we have experienced. Enjoyed this part of the day very much! Breakfast was available between 7.30am – 10.00am
- Dinner – excellent. I am a vegetarian and was a bit worried when I first saw the menu but spoke with reception and one of the restaurant managers who made sure I had excellent, healthy and very well cooked food. It was creative, sophisticated and I enjoyed every meal. The chef excelled himself and I’m very grateful. Always a bit of worry when we go away as I don’t eat fish either. The service was good, staff professional at all times. Staff not overly friendly but I didn’t go to make friends! Had good rapport with all the staff. Thank you Sara and Leonardo.
- Complimentary half glass of Italian presecco wine prior to dinner
- Shuttle bus service to and from the Pevero beach – the Grande one is better. Free sunbeds and brolly, lovely clear blue sea. We visited Capriccioli beach and was charged £35 for two sunbeds and one umbrella.
- The rooms – the bed was very large (two twins pushed together) but done properly. Quite comfy too, can never beat your own bed but we slept really well whilst we stayed here. Lovely large bathroom with a bath and a shower over, his and hers basins, safe in the room (no extra cost). Ladies – take your own hair dryer! The one in the bathroom isn’t anything like the one at home – you all know what I mean! Rooms all air conditioned. Fairly large balcony with a wee table and a couple of chairs. TV in the room (but we didn’t use it), we don’t watch tv at home so wasn’t going to start in one of the most beautiful countries ever! Wi-fi router also in the room, just don’t expect high speeds
- Drink prices - I know we were staying in a 5* hotel but 6 euros for a bottle of sparkling water is excessive, cocktail of the day was 20 euros, coffee was 5 euros, bottle of local beer 7 euros and bottle of corona was 8 euros. We are not big drinkers so the damage at the end of the holiday wasn’t too bad.
- Prosecco wine available at breakfast but no free water with dinner
I really don’t have any other negatives, we had an amazing break. We drove to Palau and got the ferry to La Maddelena, which is a must. Ferry takes about 15 mins and cost 40 euros for one small car and 2 persons. We enjoyed it so much, we went back the next day. Didn’t come across any beaches/bays with any sunbeds so be prepared and buy a brolly to use if beaches is your thing.
You must also visit the gelateria in Palau, very close to the port!
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Report response as inappropriate
First of all we were delighted to welcoming you at the Grand Hotel Poltu Quatu.
we greatly appreciate your positive valuable feedback, it encourages us to continue to offer you a great experience and to exceed your expectations.
Concerning the suggestions you kindly left us, we will surely take note of them.
Please do not hesitate to contact us if we might be of any further assistance and we’re looking forward to welcoming you again at the Grand Hotel Poltu Quatu.
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.