“Great New FInd in Arezzo” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Italian, Eclectic
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: In a pleasant atmosphere, you will find the restaurant Paperi & Civette. Intimacy, courtesy and good food await you in Historic Center of Arezzo for lunches and dinners. Meticulous attention to quality and freshness of the products have an absolute right. Open every day for lunch, closed on Mondays.
San Diego, California
“Great New FInd in Arezzo”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

Having been to Arezzo numerous times, I looked at Trip advisor once more to find something new and exciting. All indications pointed to Paperi e Civette, so we ventured there a couple of days ago. It was still "on the beaten path."

First impression was great. Very cute. Very small. There was a pleasant lady who greeted us and immediately sat us at one of the few tables in the place. As we are always early to dine in Italy, we always get our pick of tables.

We were geniunely impressed with this place.... service and food! The lady who seated us took excellent care of us throughout lunch. We started with 1/2 liter of house red. And this house red was really good. (Sometimes they are not so good.) One of the best ones we've had. Now, the menu is extremely short.... only 3 to 4-ish main dishes to choose from. I ordered the pici con cacia e pepe. My other half ordered the tagliatelle with ragu. Both were excellent. The pastas were fresh and we received a good portion. I would highly recommend the pici if you like pepper. [I forgot to mention that the bread her is the freshest we've had in Italy... nice and soft. Typically, it seems that we get day or two-old bread, but this was great. And, it came in a variety of tastes.... nutty, salty, plain.... but all fresh. We also got the freshest green olives I've ever had. These, along with the bread, were complimentary.]

The only disappointment was with the "contorni." I ordered the sformati which appeared to be a cold mold of polenta with cooked squash on top. It seems like it should have been warmed up and wasn't special. The other "contorni" was the caponata, but it was very mushy and had a fishy taste to it. We can't fault it, because we don't know what it's supposed to taste like... but we didn't care of either side dish.

However, overall this place was great! From the service to the bread to the olives and pasta and wine...... it goes on and on. AND ALL FOR 20 EUROS (for two). I can't believe it! It was one of the best and CHEAPEST lunches in Arezzo. Oh, and it included a coffee afterwards. How can you go wrong?!

If you don't have plans today for lunch.... go!

Ciao

• Visited May 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Oxford
“Really nice food, very accommodating staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012

This is a sweet restaurant in a very nicely reclaimed part of central Arezzo. So nice to walk to as well,almost like walking into a village area.
It is a simple relaxed place and the staff are incredibly friendly and well-informed.
We had quite a few issues around food - a vegetarian and myself with wheat intolerance. All of this was dealt with sensitively and in a professional manner with great flexibility in relation to the menu,
The vino della casa was superb.
We had huge and delicious starters. Really excellent.
We ahd ordered seconds but as we talked with the waitress about the fact we were already full she volunteered that we could cancel the second course - this was about half an hour after ordering! I did cancel but was sort of disappointed -I had ordered pork on a bed of pistacchio creme - it sounded divine!
We had the nicest and most simple dessert - Grekk yoghurt with toasted hazelnuts and honey. Wonderful.
I was with two local Aretini, who highly recommend this place. Sometimes it is buzzing, so best to book.

• Visited April 2012
Princeton, NJ
“Highly recommended!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012

If you are looking for affordable but authentic Tuscan food, and a most pleasant atmosphere, make sure to eat (more than once, since you MUST try everything!) at this restaurant in the historic downtown of Arezzo. It is a family run business, not very big, but full of light and with windows on a beautiful square) and the atmosphere could not be more pleasant. The cook, Mrs. Pina, came to chat with us: she is hilarious, and a real chef. Everything was delicious, from a soup with potatoes and mushrooms, to a lamb dish, to a chocolaty cake to die for. We went back the next day to try tortellini and fish: excellent throughout. Ask for i cantuccini salati, as well! Highly recommended! We had excellent food also in Siena and Florence, but this restaurant was probably the favorite of our trip. (the address here is wrong, is Piazza San Gemignano, not San Giusto).

• Visited January 2012
Boston, USA
“NOT TO BE MISSED!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

We visited the Paperi e Civette restaurant in January 2012. Not only was the food exquisite (totally in touch with the rich local and seasonal market), but the atmosphere was unusually welcoming and kind. The restaurant was full of locals, not at all noisy, and somehow joyful. Restaurants fall into two categories: real restaurants and pretend restaurants; this is one of the real ones.

• Visited January 2012
Montreal, Canada
“Amazing with a capital A”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

From the moment I walked in the hospitality was incredible!
The nicest people ever and always smiling.
The food was unbelievable!
I mean I have had Italian food before but I guess the fact that it is a family run business the attention brought to the plates were more important.
The green olives were to die for.
The prices are very reasonable too.
If I didn't live in Canada, I would eat there every night.
It is a little walk upwards but well worth the trip...
I can't wait to travel back there...