“My Husband's Surprise 60th Birthday” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Gold Creek Tourist Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Nicholls
Gold Creek Tourist Resort
You added Gold Creek Tourist Resort to your Saves list
O'Hanlon Place, Nicholls 2913, Australia   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Nicholls
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
“My Husband's Surprise 60th Birthday”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

On the last weekend of October, I held my Husband Surprise 60th Birthday party in the Lassiter's Room at the Gold Creek Tourist Resort. I can't speak too highly of the helpful advice given in the planning by owners Jayne and Tony, and helping me set up the room on the day. The food was excellent, the staff more than professional and a thoroughly good time was had by all. I highly recommend The Resort on all counts.
Great job everyone, many thanks!
Natalie Hall.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
GCTRCanberra, Owner at Gold Creek Tourist Resort, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
It was a pleasure doing your husbands surprise 60th Birthday, I am so glad that everybody had a great time, and the room did look amazing with all the extra decorations that you added to complete the room. You went to great lengths with all the extra's including the bag pipes, haggis and wall buntings.
Thank you for your business, all the best for Xmas and the New Year
Jayne & Tony Fresi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

I stayed here on a school trip recently. Contrary to most reviews on this site the resort was clean, comfortable and quiet. Over our 5-day long stay myself and my 5 roommates encountered no problems whatsoever with sleep quality, the food or the staff.

The rooms were compact however had all of the essentials that a motel room should need. We had tea/coffee making facilities, extra pillows, extra rugs for warmth, a well sized flat screen television (with all local stations), an unstocked mini fridge, a small, daily-emptied rubbish bin and a nice sized table and bench. Our room specifically was made up of two bunk style beds and two single beds. The beds were comfortable and warm. The room was very well insulated, with some nights getting down to temperatures as low as 2 degrees Celsius we didn't feel a thing. (Our air conditioning remote was revoked from our room however we didn't require this and this was the school's decision.) Our bathroom was split into three sections, the sink and mirror being in the centre, leading onto the separate toilet and shower areas. The bathroom was very clean and there were no insects on our visit, apart from one small adn harmless 'daddy long legs' spider behind the toilet.

We had our breakfast and dinner in the Settlers Function Room every day. The staff there were very nice. Our breakfast selection was comprised of a range of Kellogg's cereal (in a self-serve area), toast (with Heinz condiments) and extras such as baked beans, spaghetti, hash browns and eggs. Every table also had a plastic jug of orange juice (notably watered down) and a plastic jug of fresh milk. Dinner selections varied every night but most of our dishes were white meat dishes. We had chicken schnitzel, chicken wings, fried fish fillets with fries and on the last night we had a selection of pasta and lasagne.

We did have one chance to swim in the pool in the centre of the U-shaped resort. It is a small pool, however there was ample paved space surrounding it with nice rock features and shady palm trees at the other end of the pool.

Overall I only have positive things to say about this resort, and I think that all of the other negative reviews unfairly portray this resort.

Room Tip: We stayed almost in the centre of the U shape on the ground floor, and we did not hear any noise fro...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Yeppoon, Queensland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

I read the reviews before we stayed and we stayed here for a wedding that was close by.

Our check in was painfully slow. I have a back problem and often find standing up painful. I understand that the one person at check in can only do one thing at a time, but really feel that I waited close to 15 minutes just to check in while she answer a range of questions to a customer about a funtion she was thinking of having.

Our room was clean and compfortable. The heating was a split system air conditioner which worked well. The bed was a queen and was not to bad. The room itself was on the ground floor (which works for me) and we had parking right at our door for our car.

We stayed 3 days and got our room serviced everyday. It came as a surprise as the motel was at the lower end of the budget. The towels we clean and fresh each day.

While this motel is looking at little dated, it was a case of you get what you paid for. It was not a bad place, but is was not what I would call 'sexy'.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012 via mobile

Well there was a cockroach in our bathroom and I am serious and in the cupboard there was lolly wrappers underneath the spare blankets the food was pretty ok room size was great tv was excellent but was very messy by there I went on a school like 1 week ago!! I am not lying!!

• Stayed August 2012
GCTRCanberra, Owner at Gold Creek Tourist Resort, responded to this review, August 26, 2012
HI Sonia,

I have read your review, I am a little confused on the title of your review - MESSY, DISGUSTING, and a great space of room? Your value was 4, Location 4, Rooms 4, Cleanliness 2, Service 3.
Totalling a Score of 17 out of 20, surely a 17 should not be in the disgusting category, scoring a 5-10 most definitely, having a cockroach in your bathroom, is pretty yucky, unfortunately sometimes this can not be helped, as we keep up with our pest control on a regular basis, this is compulsory by the health protection service, and a inspection is done by a inspector randomly, so you never know when they are going to turn up.
I do apologise for a couple of lolly wrappers being in the cupboard, the cleaner should of seen these when putting back the spare blankets, the cleaners have their own rooms allocated, the same cleaner does the same room, after each departure. If you advise me off your room number I will get the head housemaid to speak to the cleaner.
Your next comment reads - The food was pretty ok, the room size was great and TV excellent, but was very messy by there, I'm not lying. I am not sure in what you mean by there.
Last week we received such great feed back in all area's from every group that stayed. Including the Australian Defence Force.
If you advise me of your school name (as we catered for 6 different school groups last week) I can forward you on the feed back.
Look forward to hearing from you, at your earliest convenience.
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

i went there for my grade's camp. it was a bit unfair how some people got bigger, single bed and sofa cabin and i didnt but we all paid the same. but the food was alright the people there was very nice. i've got few scratches and bleeding spot as the wall were really bad and scratchy. the water was warm and i had quite fun there.

Room Tip: higher floors have quieter rooms as the bottom ones, people run around from the top ones so its real...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
GCTRCanberra, Owner at Gold Creek Tourist Resort, responded to this review, August 19, 2012
Hi Amy

Thank you for your review on your school camp whilst visiting Canberra, most of the students rooms are all the same size, most of them contain 3 sets of bunks or a queen, single and a bunk to sleep 5 - 6 students, there a two larger rooms (they sleep 8 students) they are on the corner of the motel, as any corner blocks they are larger in size, these rooms are the only two rooms that have a sofa lounge and are larger than the standard student room.
The rooms downstairs are done with a bagged cement swirl, they can tend to be rough.
The overall response from your school is they enjoyed their stay and had a good trip to Canberra, even though the weather wasn't too pleasant.

Thanks

Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

I was at the Gold Creek Tourist Resort from the 7th until the 9th of August and I found it horrible where all the school kids stayed with the over packed rooms, TV screens as big as a laptop, the shower leaked all over the floor and when we went to the "restaurant" the waiters were really grumpy and the food was so small portioned that when we went to the War Memorial I bought a packet of ANZAC biscuits and i ate it all and was still hungry and the only good thing about this resort was that the rooms were clean
But I think that if went with my family it would have been a lot better and I wish they would realise that just because we are kids it doesn't mean we don't need lots of healthy foods like everyone else.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Hi Tom,
I would like to thank (B) Primary School for choosing to stay at our hotel, I have spoken to the evening and morning staff and they were very surprised with the comment that they were grumpy, if they were I certainly do apologise. Staffs is asked to treat all students with respect, I do not believe in the saying, they are only school kids. As they are a paying customer who pay's their weekly wages. On departure a morning staff member was speaking to your teachers, and is arranging dates for 2014, as your school travels to Canberra every 2 years. This is great to hear as we strive each year to get repeat business.

It's disappointing to hear that you was still hungry as we do a buffet dinner each evening - with a choice of 2 main meals, a potato dish, fresh vegetable and a choice of 3 salads on the buffet and a dessert and each morning is a full buffet breakfast with a choice of 3 cereals, eggs, bacon, toast, juice etc. - The buffets are designed so the student can take as much or as little as they require.

We do not supply your daily lunches, the coach company organises an outside caterer.

I have looked at the cost your value for money. The cost per night for accommodation / buffet breakfast and buffet dinner was $60.50. Per Night

All students attending school camp are multi share; your group had 6 rooms of 6 students, 1 room of 5 students and 9 rooms of 4 students. Teacher’s single rooms. We can put fewer students in a room but this would affect the cost per head per night.

The flat screen TV’s provided in the rooms is 78cm. A massive 160cm would be great.

Thanks again for your comments as we do appreciate them, to see what we can do to improve ourselves in Accommodation and Food. If you would like to drop me a email and suggest what you would like to see on the buffet for student, I would be interested in reading it for a students view.

Cheers

Darwin, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

I do not normally write reviews, but on this occasion I feel impelled to make a comment to give the Gold Creek Tourist Resort a fair go.
Firstly the comments left by the last group of school children are surely fictitious and not to be taken seriously.
For a school kid the author of "SOME ALRIGHT ASPECTS MOSTLY DREADFUL"
is extremely articulate for a young school kid! - I believe some one older has compiled this slanderous nonsense for them.
It is a shame that these fabricated and or exaggerated reviews have creditably, as they unfairly affect the travelers rating on this site.
And surly if credible, the teachers or organisers of these bookings would have been the person to pass comment.
I have stayed many times over the years at the GCTR and at all times found it a pleasure to stay at.
I am talking real value for money, my view is that you get more than you pay for as this is budget accommodation.
I happened to be there on a weekend that the GCTR had set up and catered for a large wedding (which I found out is one of their specialties) - and what a fabulous 5 star event.
For location, dining, accommodation, price and friendly efficient staff I give it the thumbs up.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
GCTRCanberra, Owner at Gold Creek Tourist Resort, responded to this review, August 14, 2012
Thank You Shoog Z for your comments, they are greatly appreciated.

We strive hard on looking after the school groups that come to our Motel from the accommodation to food. We would average 500-800 students per week, we cater for all dietary requirements which in some cases there are 20 special diet requirements per 50 students.

We do a buffet dinner each evening - with a choice of 2 main meals, a potato dish, fresh vegetable and a choice of 3 salads on the buffet and a dessert.

Each morning is a full buffet breakfast with a choice of 3 cereals, eggs, bacon, toast, juice etc.

Each day the menu will change so the group does not get a repeated meal.

A student cost is from $59.50 - $62.50 for accommodation / breakfast / lunch / dinner, I feel that this is good value for money.

Once again I am sorry for the slow delay in answering back to your review.

Jayne

Been to Gold Creek Tourist Resort? Share your experiences!