“A pleasant surprise” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Limassol, Cyprus
“A pleasant surprise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

Every now and then, during my travelling around the world, I happen to meet some places which, in total humility, with just passion and love for quality, are able to prepare simple, good, honest food. The Cavallino is such a place. I had a free day in Udine and decided to visit Aquilei, an amazing place full of Roman ruins. Looking for a place to eat, I searched in TA and read about the cavallino. All the 5 comments were in Italian, and it was evident that at least 3 came from friends or acquaintances of the owner, something I do not like. But I was puzzled by the fact that they were talking about a dish, the "frico", which I never heard of. And as it was right on my way back from Aquileia, I decided to stop. It was a good idea.
The place, like it is stated in one of the previous visitors' comments, look, from the outside, like "a railroad workers afterwork messroom"..... Inside, it is a little bit better, with a fireplace which, given the cold weather outside, was fully functional. The owner was nice and helpful to explain to us what the frico was: a mix of local cheese and potatoes, which can then be mixed with ingredients such as ham, or figs, or mushrooms, or rosemary, and so on. We tried mushrooms and rosemary, and they were really nice. I mean, it is not Alain Ducasse or Pierre Gagnaire: it is honest, good quality, very local Italian food. I had also some local culatello with ricotta cheese and pears, and a veal cutlet with cheese. Local hams, local meet, all selected by the owner, and it was simple and good.
If you pass by, do stop and enjoy. Places like this one will not be able to survive much longer: as the owner explained me, the high taxes which my non intelligently managed country applies on small private enterprises (up to 70% of profits), coupled with the location (very close to the main road to Aquileia, which is one of the gems of Italy but which is mainly visited during the summer season) and thus the sometimes low number of visitors, made him difficult to survive. I wish him the best. By the way, the frico (and all the food we had there) was digested very quickly, a clear sign of excellent ingredients. I am happy I took a couple of fricos back home....
I paid 20 euro per person, with local wine.

• Visited February 2012