“Hidden Gem” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Doha, Qatar
“Hidden Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

We were inspired to visit this cafe after reading a review in a newspaper, and were glad we did. This isn't the most scenic of Muscat's eating joints - it's in a strip mall and the view is of a car park - but the food and service more than make up for it.

We visited twice in one weekend. The breakfast menu is extensive and offers the usual eggs and other offerings, but a couple of twists including spicy eggs served scrambled and in its own heated serving dish. Both of us ordered eggs, which were perfectly cooked. We shred the greek yoghurt which was a little sweet for me but the fresh fruit juices were perfect.

Lunch is when the menu gets interesting - I tried chicken skewers and tabbouli. This was five tender and juicy chicken kebabs each marinated in different spices including tandoori. The tabboui was studded with pomegranite and the perfect accompaniment.

My sidekick had the blackboard special of beet, chicken and grain salad and reported it was tasty and fresh.

Freshly baked cakes including a creamy cherry cheesecake round out the food on offer. The only drawback was the coffee, which was a little bitter. Maybe the illy coffee machine needs a clean.

Make the effort to find this place - it offers tasty, inventive and fresh cafe staples with cheerful service.

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Muscat, Oman
“Our new favorite!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

We've now been to Mani's twice, once for breakfast and once for lunch. Everything we've had has been excellent, and the service is very friendly and accommodating as well.

We went for breakfast on our first visit. The omelette was great, the poached eggs on spinach with halloumi were delicious (and the eggs were poached perfectly) and the pancakes were amazing. Everything was top notch. We went recently for lunch, and again, had a great experience. My husband loved his beet and lentil salad - a large portion but very light and fresh. My chicken skewers were great, a mix of tandoori, grilled and mint skewers, along with a side of fresh tabbouleh with pomegranate, and we split a bowl of pumpkin soup that I will have to go back and have again! Service was very good as well - since we were sharing the soup, the server went ahead and split it into two smaller bowls for us, and they accommodated a special request for grilled cheese sandwiches for our kids, which weren't on the menu. They even brought over some toys for our toddler when he started to get fussy. We took a slice of the banana cake and chocolate cake home and they were both wonderful. They have a gluten free chocolate cake also, along with many other yummy looking treats!

We love Mani's, and I have a feeling we will become regulars!

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Kuwait City, Kuwait
“Favorite place in Muscat”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

On a short trip to Muscat, I managed to eat at Mani's twice. I had breakfast there first and then a light lunch and I'm only sorry I didn't get to try even more things on their menu (or the delicious looking cakes that are on the counter).
Here are my thoughts on Mani's:
- For a very new café it's doing extremely well.
- I love the simplicity of the place and all the light streaming in. The focus at Mani's is on the food.
- The chairs aren't very comfortable, but that's a minor thing. You hardly notice it if you're there for a quick meal but I bet they'd attract a lot more people who want to lounge and read/work if they had slightly more plush seating.
- The menu is very straightforward and the specials are written on the blackboard. The waiters diligently point out the specials.
- I heard from people that there's a little inconsistency, where the same order always tastes good but looks completely different and might not be what you expected to get. I think that will work its way out with time as the owners figure out how much traffic they get and which ingredients are in demand. They'll probably stock better in the future.
- The coffee is excellent

For breakfast, I had the poached eggs. One was runny (as requested) and the other one was overcooked. I didn't return it, however, as I was with a group of people and we were really engrossed in our conversation. For lunch, I had their beetroot halloumi salad. I'd have liked a little more beetroot and halloumi, but the salad was VERY filling and presentation was lovely.

Overall, I think this place is off to a really good start, offering quality ingredients and a varied menu. It was my favorite place in Muscat. Under the same careful management, I expect Mani's to flourish and possibly even grow into a local or regional franchise one day.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Los Angeles
“Bright, modern new cafe near the beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

I happened upon this cafe while exploring the Shatti Al-Qurm shopping center (adjacent to the beach and near the Intercontinental hotel), and was drawn in by its bright, open appearance, clean modern decor, and simple menu with fresh ingredients. The spicy scrambled eggs were a delicious variation on an old standard. They're served in a small chafing dish so remain good and hot. Also had a glass of icy pomegranate juice, delicious. One of the owners was present and introduced herself, she was very personable and added to the friendly atmosphere. Lots of baked goods that looked intriguing too, but I was too sated after the meal to even think about it.

It's up the escalator from popular destinations on the lower level, and worth the effort to locate it and take a look - too new to be in your guidebook!

Visited January 2013
Muscat, Oman
“Great alternative to crowded Darcy's”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

In the Shatti Qurm district of Muscat, many people like to visit Darcy's, but I wanted to try this small place upstairs and I was glad I did as Darcy's was crowded - breakfast time. The menu choice is smaller but my eggs were done to perfection, there was a great veg accompaniment and tasty bread. I was able to read one of the small selection of newspapers there for customers (magazines too) in peace. They had soy milk for my tea - a big plus for me!!! Friendly staff and I'm sure their cakes are fab, but I only looked. I will be back.

• Visited January 2013