“Nice hotel and pleasant stay” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #12 of 34 Hotels in Muscat
Rome, Italy
“Nice hotel and pleasant stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

We chose the Intercontinental hotel in Muscat for our Eid break away from Doha and we were very happy. The hotel is not very young as it is a 70s building renovated a few times, although it features a big pool area outside with huge garden and 2 swimming pools where it is really nice to hang out and relax. Quite disappointingly though, no beach.
The staff (all omanis) are overly friendly and helpful and would bring drinks poolside. The food at both restaurants is good, breakfast is huge. The hotel is also located in a very nice area of Muscat, just a few hundred metres from the Royal Opera House. There is a nice bar (the Trader Vic's) and an English pub where you can have a beer, do some dance and watch matches. Overall, our stay was very pleasant.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Oliver G, Manager at InterContinental Hotel Muscat, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Dear clauz,

thank you very much for your positive review.

I am very happy that you had a pleasant stay with us. The Qurum beach is a very nice public beach, which stretches over a few kilometers along the corniche. We have a direct access, where you have only to cross a pedestrian boulevard, but it is not private. Nevertheless the local community together with the expats living here are enjoying this wonderful spot.

Since you liked all other facilities I sincerely hope to see you again.

Resident Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
  • Turkish first
USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

I am a frequent business traveller in the Middle East and have been to Muscat at least a dozen times over the past 3 years, and I have stayed at a variety of hotels in Muscat, but this was my first time to stay at the Intercontinental (not to confuse with the other property previously run by Intercontinental – Al Bustan Hotel – which is an amazing place to stay).
My ordeal started with check in, when I was not given the previously confirmed adjoining rooms and we had to content with two rooms on the same floor, so my wife had to sleep with one of our children in one room while I stayed in the other with the other child. The rooms were very run down and the odor of moisture/must stayed with us well after we left as all our cloths smelled of must after our stay. We stayed for two nights, and honestly there is nothing good we can say about the stay.
I had contacted the concierge prior to arrival and had reserved a 4X4 car with a driver to take us to the mountains for a planned hike. The day of the hike, we were surprised to find a minibus waiting for us. This was totally useless and we had to wait one hour and a half for the right vehicle to show up and for us to go to our hike.
When we returned from the hike, I was informed by the driver that he required the payment in cash, while the hotel had not mentioned that in our correspondence and I was under the impression that I would pay for the car through the hotel with my bill. I had to run around to find cash as I had not planned on having so much cash on hand.
Finally on check out, I came down with my bag because it took too much time for the bellman to arrive. I left the bag with the bell service and asked for a taxi. When the taxi arrived, the bellman and the taxi driver both disagreed on who would carry my bag and put it in the car and so we were in the cab and no one was loading my bag. I had to come out of the taxi and load my bag myself while both bellman and driver watched my. Just the best way to end a disastrous stay.
I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. It is not even a three star service and Intercontinental should look into how this property is managed because it really is hurting their image in the region.

Room Tip: Stay away. If you have to stay in that area go to the Crown Plaza, same group but different caliber.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear BKK 10,

thank you very much for your candid feedback and to make me aware of the service failures you experienced. Feedback like yours helps us to identify flaws and to be able to become better in future.

Please accept my sincere apologies for all what has happened, which is not acceptable. It seems from the start to the end we were not able to live up to the InterContinental standard you rightfully can expect.

I surely understand that you have no intention to return, but I can assure you that we can do much better. I would appreciate if I could get in direct contact with you. My e-mail address is oliver.geyer@ihg.com .

I hope I will get the chance to talk to you soon.

Muscat, Oman
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

Hi I visited Tomatoes at the intercontinental Muscat this week. I must say that the food and serves was excellent I also meet the manager Iqbal who help me with anything I needed. I spent the day beside the pool and later had dinner at tomatoes; Iqbal team always had a smile on their faces even when serving customers in 38c temperatures around the pool. Iqbal please thank your staff for a great time well-done

Cheers Andrew M

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Dear andrew m,

thank you for your great feedback about our Italian restaurant Tomato and specifically about Iqbal and his team.

I can assure you that we will celebrate them on a special occasion, because of your comments.

Omaha, Nebraska
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

I decided to try out the Intercontinental as I have never stayed at one before (I usually prefer the Ritz or a Rosewood Hotel), but was unfortunately, not blown away by anything, and slightly disappointed. The hotel has a decent location on the western end of the Qurum Beach, keeping it away from a lot of features, but providing guests with a virtual private beach. The hotel is extremely outdated, and appears to have been built in the 70s or 80s. Nevertheless, the hotel deserves a commendation for trying to provide comfortable stay as the beds are terrific, and the new showerhead makes sure you get a nice shower. Still, the rooms, as well as the resort facilities (such as the pool area), are dated, and feel like they're from the 70s and 80s. Food from the hotel's restaurant "Tomato" at the beach was medicore, but the mojitos were excellent.

The IC's main gem is the service--with the exception of the Concierge (Issam seemed to busy and not interested in helping, and his assistants did not appear to know the city and restaurants very well). The Front Desk staff were very nice, as well as all of the members of the housekeeping, and the pool staff. The attentive service meant a lot, and helped make up for the dated facilities.

Nevertheless, I am unsure if I will return to the IC as it is too dated for me, and other great 5 star options are in the area. The service is good, but it isn't good enough to be a deal breaker.

Room Tip: All rooms are described to have a sea view, but ask for a room above the second floor on the side fa...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear hqi777,

thank you very much for your review on tripadvisor.

The hotel opened 1977. At this time this was the only building in the whole area ( if you visit us look at the picture at the Concierge Desk ). This might explain our outside appearance. Inside we tried to maintain the traditional feel and aspects of Oman, surely always keeping in mind to go with the time. Our people certainly plays a key role, where you can make a difference as you rightfully write, therefore I am very happy that my colleagues were able to provide your the service you deserve. On the other hand I can assure you that we will look into our concierge services and also to update the hotel soon.

Still I hope we will get another chance in future.

Vienna, Austria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

We were 4 couples for a 3 days break, first time in Muscat. The hotel had lots of nice amenities, rooms quite spacious, whether mountain or sea view. breakfast was quite lavish with lots of hot and cold dishes including fresh fruits.
The bathrooms definitely need a complete change; they are quite old and not in parallel with modern bathrooms.
The sleeping quality was quite good; none of my friends complained.
The hotel has huge out-door spaces with garden and 2 large swimming pools including a shallow children pool.
However, the all in all, the hotel needs a face lift to compete with properties such as the Chedi and the Shangri-la.

Room Tip: Higher floors with sea view
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Abdalla K,

thank you and your friends for choosing the InterContinental for your trip to Muscat. Your positive review is very much appreciated.

Actually we are currently looking into to upgrade our property, especially the rooms and your feedback is therefore very important. In the meantime we surely do our utmost to upkeep the hotel and deliver the excellent InterContinental service.

Nevertheless I hope we will see you soon again.

Surrey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

This was our second trip this year to the Intercontinental. I agree with a lot of previous comments that this is a hotel which is in need of some renovation of the bedrooms. But the staff is absolutely excellent. They can't do enough for you and are so friendly, curteous and polite.

We were upgraded to a club level room with access to the club lounge which was a wonderful treat. The staff in the lounge was first class.

The pool area is lovely and very inviting but as a previous comment said your peace can be interrupted by the noise coming from events taking place in the garden.

But we will keep coming back. It is ideally situated by the beach with shops and restaurants near by. The beautiful opera house is walking distance away and is so worth a visit.

But it is the staff that sells this place and we can't praise them enough.

So thank you Oliver for making our stay so special!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear ramlosa,

it was my pleasure and I am very happy that I could contribute to a great stay.

I am very proud to be part of our team. As you mention, the staff can make the difference. Hopefully I see you soon back in Oman.

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

We are here for a 2 day escape as we are also celebrating our anniversary. The location of the hotel is great; although there is very poor signanges on how to find the hotel. Lots of restaurants and amenities nearby. The pool and garden area is also magnificent.

The hotel and rooms are old. I write this review as I lie in one of the rooms on the 3rd floor. The balcony is so filthy I wish it wasn't there. The toilet smells foul and the bath tub is so old, stained and rusty that it needs ti be changed. The drainage ain't that great so as I was having a quick shower the water in the tub was up to my ankle. Your whole room, carpet and curtains are old and gives out an odour. We are very very disappointed with the room! This is definitely not worth the money we paid for.

• Stayed October 2013
Oliver G, Manager at InterContinental Hotel Muscat, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Dear justsb,

thank you for sharing your experience with us.

Feedback like yours helps us to become better in future. What you describe is definitely not what you can expect from an InterContinental Hotel. We might not be the newest hotel, but still cleanliness and maintenance can be expected and thats what we strive to deliver. Therefore please accept my sincere apologies.

In case this message reaches you still being in the hotel I would appreciate, if you could contact me directly by asking for me at the reception or via e-mail oliver.geyer@ihg.com.

I am really looking forward to hear from you and i hope that we will get another chance to redeem ourselves and show you that we can do much better.

Resident Manager

Been to InterContinental Hotel Muscat? Share your experiences!