“Average” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 34 Hotels in Muscat
Portishead, United Kingdom
“Average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at I C H instead of my usual Crowne Plaza... Service was average, check in (@midnight) was laborious and frustrating ( I am a IHG platinum card holder ) concierge misplaced my hire car, room service kept knocking on my door to check the mini bar ( I wasnt given the key), Internet connection was Vgood (VPN), gardens / pool area very nice.

Benefits that I should been informed about were not given to me.

Tired hotel.... 4 star trying to keep its 5 star.

I did get points on my card from the management team for the inconveniences (there were other smaller items).

As a business hotel I thought they coud have tried harder...it was the lack of attention to minor stuff that was irritating.

Back to the CP!

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Oliver G, Manager at InterContinental Hotel Muscat, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Dear neiltooley,

thank you very much for your feeback on tripadvisor.

I would like to deeply apologize for your experience you made during your stay with us. This certainly does not represent the standard you can expect from an InterContinental Hotel neither the check-in experience nor the following days with your misplaced car or disturbances in the room.
I can assure you that we will work on every single item to prevent them happening in future and therefore I am thankful that you shared your experiences at the hotel and reinforced them through tripadvisor.

I really hope that you still will give us another chance in future to show you that we can do much better. In case you include us in your travel plans, please contact me before our arrival through my e-mail address oliver.geyer@ihg.com.

Resident Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
  • Turkish first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013 via mobile

One of the oldest hotels in Muscat, the Intercontinental looks a bit tired, but is huge and imposing. Located in the residential Al Qurm area, it is not very far away from the Ruwi Central Business District. Trader Vic's is a popular bar at the hotel. Courteous staff. Huge, imposing lobby for meetings over coffee. Local Taxis easily available from the hotel itself. The Jawahar Al Qurm mall nearby also offers great eating options and coffee shops.

Love the free wifi that pervades the entire hotel.

• Stayed July 2013
Dear M2wo,

thank you very much for taking the time to share your experiences on tripadvisor.

It is true that we are one of the first hotels and actually the first internationally branded hotel in Muscat. Therefore we are fortunate to have such extensive gardens and grounds directly at the beach front.
I appreciate also very much your positive comment about our staff, which will be proudly shared.

I sincerely hope that we will be able to welcoming you soon again at the InterContinental Muscat.

Kuwait
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

It's a nice hotel, don't get me wrong... Has a lovely pool, superb gym, spacious, close to the beach... But, it could do with a bit of sprucing up. The lobby, for example, has some kind of grotty looking LED lights streaming down from the roof that look like they were left over from a 70s disco theme party. When I entered my room (number 121), there was a strange odour coming from the carpet... The sort of smell you get when you don't leave clothes to dry properly.
Also. The floor of the room seemed to be vibrating... If you stand in the centre of the room you can feel some sort of machinery oscillating happily below your feet. When I put my head down on the (very plump) pillows, I could heard the noise pulsating through my head... Hopefully not all the rooms are like that.
I thought the hotel was ferociously expensive... I had a buffet dinner, room service breakfast plus the room charge for one night all came to a staggering $350!!! I've stayed in much more modern 5 star hotels in the middle east that charge a lot less than that.
Service was ok, staff friendly. I had some meetings cut short and had already checked out.. So I went back to the hotel and asked if I could use the room for another couple of hours instead of going to the airport to wait...they were only to happy to oblige.
Nice enough stay but would probably try somewhere else next time.

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear Abdurahiim R,

thank you very much for giving us your feedback through tripadvisor.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the experience you made expecially the vibritions you experiences. We did some works recently to upgrade our facilities, but to identify the spcific source I would appreciate if you could contact me under my e-mail oliver.geyer@ihg.com to receive more details from you. I can assure you that the vibriations you experienced are not usual in our hotel.
Surely your constructive feedback will help us to become better today than yesterday.

Still I hope I will see you soon again.

John O'Groats, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

I've stayed here a couple of times on business and this time went with my wife for a couple of days over Xmas.

I'm still not sure about it.

It has a great couple of swimming pools - one leisure and one for swimming (a real bonus); and it has excellent access to the beach. Taxis can easily be taken into town. By the way, in town you can watch the empty Big Red City Tour busses passing by every 30 minutes - we're not poor but there was no way that we were going to pay the high prices for the bus tour! Better taking a taxi city tour.

Anyway, the hotel. Hmm. Things were not quite as smooth as they should have been, but they worked out in the end. The main lobby looks nice and our room was comfortable with all the amenities that one expects from an Intercontinental.

And yet...

And yet, there's something that I just can't put my finger on. I'll try the Crowne Plaza next time.

So, hotel has a excellent pool, is on the beach, but, hmm....

Room Tip: beach view is nice
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Oliver G, Manager at InterContinental Hotel Muscat, responded to this review, July 21, 2013
Dear ebookpunkie,

Thank you very much for your feedback and comments in tripadvisor. I'm very glad you liked our swimming pools and the easy access to the beach. I would like to apologize for the things that did not work out as smoothly as it should have been but I'm very happy to know that it was solved.
Please do not hesitate to contact me personally at peter.wagner@ihg.com when you plan your next visit to Muscat.

Kind regards,
Peter Wagner
Front Office Manager
Surprise, AZ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

The InterContinental Hotel Muscat is located on the beach and close to popular attractions like the opera house, Grand Mall, and a short taxi ride away from the souk.

+ Professional and courteous staff ready to assist with all needs and requests
+ Great location on the beach with many shops and restaurants within walking distance
+ Good on site dining options + free wi-fi in the lobby cafe

- Rooms are desperately in need of updating. Not up to modern standards.
- Cab rides from the hotel porte-cochère are approximately 2x the fare of walking down to the street and hailing a taxi
- Families may find the property too business oriented

Overall the InterContinental Hotel Muscat is not a bad hotel. It is easy to see this must have been a truly outstanding hotel at one time but needs to be updated and refurbished. Everything is clean and functional but not up to modern standards. Crowne Plaza is only a few miles away and while it may not have the old world charm and elegance of the InterContinental it does have modern rooms and similar dining and relaxation options at about the same price.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms worth the upgrade for the view but room size and amenities are the same. If you want...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Oliver G, Front Office Manager at InterContinental Hotel Muscat, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear Hi_Fi_Guy, thank you very much for your review on tripadvisor. I'm very glad to read your positive comments and I'm happy to see that you liked the on site dining options and the professional staff. The hotel is now 35 years old and it is one of Muscats first 5 star hotels. We must admit that InterContinental Muscat has had her share in growing over the years and upgrading works are in the future plans. The InterContinental team is looking forward to welcome you back on your future visits to Muscat. Kind regards, Peter Wagner Front Office Manager
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I stayed here on business and was prepared having read all the tripadvisor reviews to be faced with a dated property, however, nothing prepared me for what i encountered when i arrived. The rooms were standard, relatively cheaply decorated with non descript furnishings, nothing sumptuous nor luxurious as one comes to expect of 5 star hotels in the region, but the bathrooms were what really shocked me. They were prehistoric, and of a 3 star standard (in fact i have stayed in 3 star hotels with better bathroom facilities). There was rust and limescale everywhere, cheap wooden finishes with nails still poking out, cracked tub, fallen away grouting, the whole thing was shocking. Intercontinental - PLEASE update this property, or lower the prices because it is daylight robbery to have rates which are on a par with true 5 star properties in the city.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Oliver G, Front Office Manager at InterContinental Hotel Muscat, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear travelkat123, thank you very much for sharing your experiences on tripadvisor. I am very disappointed to read that we were not able to live up to your expectations. Please accept my apologies. Our hotel is now 35 years old and it is Muscats first luxury hotel. We are continously working on our rooms to ensure the high standards of InterContinental. I still hope you will give us another chance in future and please do not hesitate to contact me personally under peter.wagner@ihg.com for future bookings, with kind regards Peter Wagner Front Office Manager
Tokyo, Japan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

The feel of approaching the hotel and the impression when you walk into the hotel is that of a top end hotel.
The lobby and the atrium, the light comes in from the top and there is a very open atmosphere.
Once you walk into the room though, it gets a bit dark, dull, and it feels small because of this darkness in the room, as well as the windows not opening up.

Not sure how much I paid, but I think it was quite a bit.
Probably would choose to stay somewhere else next time.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Oliver G, Front Office Manager at InterContinental Hotel Muscat, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Dear carioca500, thank you so much for your feedback. I'm very happy that you liked our amazing Lobby and Atrium. You can rest assured that we take your comments regarding the darkness of the room serious and we will work together with our Housekeeping team to brighten up the rooms. Unfortunately during the summer month we have to keep the balcony doors closed due to the climatic weather conditions and to ensure that the rooms have a comfortable temperature. We would be happy to welcome you back to InterContinental Muscat. Kind regards, Peter Wagner Front Office Manager

Been to InterContinental Hotel Muscat? Share your experiences!