“Highly recommend the Sugarapple” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
25% off low summer rates
Ranked #1 of 2 Friendship B&B and Inns
New York, NY
“Highly recommend the Sugarapple”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2007

I stayed at the Sugarapple Inn over the New Year's holiday (Dec o6/Jan07) and highly recommend it. If you're the kind of traveler who has already found your way to Bequia -- the kind who appreciates small intimate hotels or often rents your own house, meeting friendly locals, exploring on your own, likes an island that isn't overrun with large commercial properties -- this is the place for you. If you're the kind that likes big resorts where everything is catered to your every need and desire, don't go to Bequia.

This was my third stay on Bequia and my first at the Sugarapple. I will definitely go back. The Sugarapple is a cross between an inn and having your own apartment.

The owners and everyone who works at the Sugarapple from the the manager to the cleaning women to the gardner are the embodiment of the word friendly. My mother's luggage got delayed and the owner lent her her own clothes to wear. We asked for a lime from the tree for cocktails, the gardner Julien brought us ten.

The rooms are clean and cheerful, tasteful and simple. We had no problems with the mosquito netting (the trick is to tuck it under the mattress.) There's a ceiling fan. There was no need for A/C. The inn is on a hill and gets great breezes that keep the bugs away and the sleeping comfortable. The beds are very comfortable. Each room has a little kitchen and sitting area with nice views if you like to make your own meals.

(The person from Florida who who wrote one of the previous reviews clearly hadn't read the website or other reviews.) There's a lovely manager named Cilla who's in the office from about 8-4. She'll make restaurant reservations for you, arrange taxis, book sailing trips, arrange for food shopping to be done for you in advance of your arrival if you'd like, etc. The Sugarapple will also give you a cell phone to use during your stay and you just need to buy a sim card for a few bucks -- then you can do everything on your own. The phone we were given had all the restaurant and taxi numbers pre-programmed in it. EASY.

The pool is refreshing. It's a salt water pool which is more eco-friendly than chlorine.

A large part of what made our stay there so pleasant was meeting Lionel and Anna the owners, Cilla the manager, Yvonne the cleaning woman, and Julien the gardner. Wonderful people who are proud to share their island with you.

When I read these reviews, I always wonder about the POV and expectations of the people writing them in order to put the review in context. So to give you an idea: I live in Manhattan, work in a glamorous business, travel frequently domestically and internationally. Have stayed in 5 star and 2 star places. For business travel, I certainly prefer a hotel with lots of amenities for convenience. In cities like Paris, I vote boutique 3-4+ stars. For beach vacations, I like low-key destinations, un-Disney-fied. I like island hotels that don't have phones and TVs -- to me, that's the point of going.

• Liked — Clean, friendly, affordable, comfortable, great breeze
  • Disliked — The kids staying below us that woke up early every morning and started crying.
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

140 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2007

Just back from Bequia and a relaxing week at the Sugarapple Inn in
Friendship. First off the Inn is just far enough from the hub of Beqia
(Port Elizabeth) but still close enough to get to in about five minutes
by car. We even walked into town a few days and it took us about 25
minutes at a leisurely pace. I guess those who are more fit could do it
in less time. We had room three which is on the lower floor of the top
building. The view of the pool and the bay were worth waking up to,
and the room was very clean with a cheery decor. It was very cool at
night even under the mosquito nets which we learned needed to be tucked
under the mattress for maximum effect. We made use of the kitchen
mostly for breakfast and cocktails before dinner. It was easy to call
a cab on the pre-paid cell phone that the Inn provided. In fact
important numbers such as Cilla’s (the manager) a few taxis, and just
in case but thankfully never needed, the numbers for the hospital and
police were also programmed in. We took early morning dips in the pool
which is set in a beautiful and well maintained garden. Some days we
just sat on the deck and read until lunch time. Friendship beach was
within walking distance with a few options for access, but it was great
going to the other beaches as well. Cilla and the house keeping staff
were very accommodating and even though these are self catering
apartments, we felt well taken care of with Cilla making arrangements
for trips and reservations or just stopping to check on how we were
enjoying Bequia and the Sugarapple. Every night it was nice to come
back to the Sugarpple and to go to sleep with the sound of the surf at
Friendship Bay. We’ll be back, hopefully soon!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2007

I had a fabulous stay in Bequia the best part of which was my stay at Sugar Apple Inn; the room was exquisite with a breath taking view of the lush beautiful island. I spent quite evenings reading by the pool after days spent exploring the island beaches. I have traveled the Caribbean and found this to be the best for a local experience, in a comfortable cottage setting.

Silla and the staff are lovely they provided information on the island, where to visit and made the stay pleasant. I will definitely return to Bequai and to the Sugar Apple Inn for its tranquility and beauty.

• Liked — My room
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New Jersey, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2007

My stay at the Sugarapple Inn was wonderful. The first night we got there, we got our room right away even though it was late. We dumped our luggage in our room and went for a swim at 10:00pm. which nobody minded as long as we did not disturb the other guests.

The scenery at the Sugarapple Inn was amazing. The rooms were painted wam and welcoming colors. There was a nice dining area and a partial kitchen with stove, burners, fridge, dishes, etc. The beds had nets that kept the bugs away and made us comfortable. They also had American TV channels so I did not miss my shows.

The staff was helpful and accommodating. I always forgot my key in the room and after my family locked the door, the staff would let me back in without a fuss. The staff also delivered groceries to our room.

I would suggest that you go there and have fun!

• Liked — very nice accomodations, friendly people, nice scenery
  • Disliked — none
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Queens, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2007

My family and I spent 10 wonderful days at the sugarapple inn. The room was beautiful and well equipped with everything you need. We even cooked a few nights in the kitchen and used the gas grill on the deck. When I think back on the trip, I will never forget the view from our room of the ocean and Mustique in the background.

Silla and Yvonne did a great job of preparing the room for us. We always found the room to be very clean. Each night we went to sleep with a fresh flower on our pillow.

In December, the tradewinds provided a cooling breeze in the evening

Silla was always available to provide information, call us a cab, or book a reservation at a restaurant.

The grounds of the sugarapple are beautiful. Everywhere you look there are beautiful flowers, bushes and palm trees. It truly is a paradise.

We look forward to our next trip to Bequia and the sugarappple inn.

• Liked — the room and the gardens
  • Disliked — N?A
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Sugarapple Inn? Share your experiences!