My family and I (8 people in total) stayed here in November for 3 weeks. It's been a few weeks since staying here so here are some of my thoughts on the place:
- the eating/sitting area has an incredible view of Friendship Bay and is the perfect place to eat breakfast in the morning. The free breakfasts when we were there included cereal, coffee/tea/juice and homemade bread (usually banana). There are also two small gas powered BBQ's for preparing lunch and/or dinner.
- the staff (Sandra, Atto, Celia, etc) are all super friendly and really helpful should you need any advice on what to do and where to go. They are also great with kids (we had a 4 year old and a 6 month old).
- You're only a quick 3 minute walk down to the beach. The only warning I would give about the beach (and most beaches have them) are that they have some trees that drop nuts that are "poisonous" and irritate the skin so don't pick them up. Each room comes with two beach chair's and beach towels are available.
- there is some noise from passing cars and dogs barking at night so if you're a really light sleeper it may be an issue (but wasn't for us).
- it wouldn't be a good place for someone isn't mobile or has a tough time with walking as there are a lot of stairs.
- this isn't your typical resort or hotel, its a bed and breakfast so don't expect a fitness centre, spa or bar. Luckily for us, we didn't want any of those things and because its such a small place (two buildings with 4 rooms in each) you don't feel like your staying in a hotel or resort. You feel like your staying at someones house.
- The only two things that are walking distance is the Bequia Beach Hotel below that has a bar and restaurant (both expensive). There is also a really cool small bar down the road run by a Czech guy. Other than that, you will have to go into town.
- When you need to go into town I personally recommend taking the dollar bus as its cheaper and you get to meet locals on it. If you do take a taxi (especially for an island tour), take an open air one. Taxi's and dollar busses are always coming by the hotel although at times you do have to wait.
- all the rooms have kitchens with pretty much everything you need to make meals. The only thing we wished we had were better utensils to cut/crack lobster. Regular knives make cutting a lobster in half and BBQing a lot of work. If you want to boil lobster, just ask the staff and they will be able to get you a pot big enough to do it as the ones in the kitchen were too small. Of course be sure to seal everything properly or sugar ants will get to it.
- The pool area is great. It has a shallow end which is nice for when you have kids and has loungers for when you want to lay in the sun. For those who need a break from the rays but want to be near the pool, there is a shaded area with wooden benches.
- the property has fruit trees that you can pick from. Nothing better then picking fresh lemons to prepare your food with. There are also coconut trees and we were told they were planning a whole area with a lot more variety of fruits for guests can pick from.
- The reception area has a small store where you can buy soft drinks and snacks (Pringles, chocolate bars, etc).
At the end of the day I can't say enough great things about Sugar Apple Inn. This is a great place for family trips (we rented 3 rooms in total) or even couples (there were plenty when we stayed there). The way the staff treat you and how the rooms are set up, you feel like your just staying in someones home.
If you're thinking of going to Bequia (and you should) there is no question that you can't go wrong with staying at the Sugar Apple. The world is a big place but should I ever return to Bequia (and I want to), I'll be staying here.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Introducing Sugarapple's newly refurbished beach cottage, and exciting additions to the Sugarapple Inn. Adjoining two bedroom apartments steps away from the water at Friendship Beach. Each unit sleeps four with one king sized, and two double beds. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia and Odigeo so you can book your Sugarapple Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sugarapple Hotel Bequia
- Sugarapple Inn Bequia/Friendship