“What a brilliant holiday” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Loch Awe Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Loch Awe
Loch Awe Hotel
You added Loch Awe Hotel to your Saves list
Loch Awe PA33 1AQ, Scotland   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Loch Awe
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Colchester, United Kingdom
“What a brilliant holiday”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Stayed at Loch Awe Hotel as part of a Lochs and Glens Holiday. What a lovely hotel. Fantastic location with great views over the Loch. We had a lovely big room overlooking the Loch. All the staff were fantastic from the coach driver to all the hotel staff who were all wonderfully friendly and helpful. The food was fantastic with loads of choice at breakfast and evening meal. My husband is a diabetic and they made him a fresh fruit salad every evening. The only downside and it's not really a criticism is that I would have expected a more Scottish feel to the evening entertainment which really wasn't great but there are plenty of places to get to to get away from the singing. All in all we shall be booking another holiday with Loch and Glens they are excellent at what they do . Fantastic value for money.

Room Tip: We had room 10 in the newer extension. It had a double and a single bed , 2 nice comfy chairs and a...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

spent 3 nights at this hotel and after reading on here that self drive people get treated worse than the coach holiday people we was abit apprehensive before going. was greeted by extremely friendly staff and shown to our room. this was on 2nd floor which are the newer rooms and it was lovely!! great bathroom with large shower ( no bath which did not bother us), flat screen tv. problem was it was on the road side of hotel so when window was open it was so noisy!!! anyway we asked to be moved if poss to other side of hotel and was told that as soon as all the coach parties had arrived they would see what they could do....and true too there word while eating dinner they came to say they had a room on loch side which was alot older with no great bathroom or flat screen tv but was perfectly adequate for our needs and best of all when you opened the window....birds singing,heaven!! the hotel is very old and dark but it is beautiful. food is not brilliant, quality is fine but quantity is very small and they can not wait to take your plate to replace with next one. saying that we would stay again as the staff at is hotel are top, so helpfull and i have to say WE GOT TREATED NO DIFFERENT FROM COACH HOLIDAY PEOPLE!! it was great value for money.

Room Tip: loch side alot quieter, ground floor rooms are extremely older but do the job for price!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

We stayed at the hotel on a Lochs and Glens Holiday, from start to finish we had a great time. Hotel itself was very good, food was excellent, we had a lovely room overlooking the Loch. Great Value for money, will certainly go again

Room Tip: When Booking ask for a room overlooking the Loch
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
bridlington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

We stayed at Loch Awe Hotel combined with a Lochs and Glens Holiday , the food was excellent , the staff very friendly , this is a very nice hotel with excellent views over the Loch , my only complaint was, due to very warm weather and sleeping in a top floor room , it was very warm at night time ...but we should never complain with hot weather especially in Scotland .

Room Tip: If possible ask for a room facing the Loch as the other side is facing the road , and if you need th...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Sevenoaks, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

this was our first trip with lochs and glens and it was great from the start, none of the usual changing coaches fiasco standing around lugging cases and confusion experienced with other coach companies. good knowledgeable driver frequent comfort stops and plenty of legroom on the coach. the hotel was ready and even took your cases to your room. the mealtimes ran to precision fast and efficient service, the food was well cooked and presented, and even the trips were included in the price. I was impressed with the smooth running of the whole operation and will certainly travel with them again. If there was one fault the hotel was quite dated and needing a little TLC but even that was quite endearing. oh also there was evening entertainment of singers and music and on the last night a Scottish dancing exhibition. Had a thoroughly good week and were even lucky with the weather. give it a try you wont be disappointed

Room Tip: you may be lucky and get a view of the loch
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
prestwick
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

The hotel is situated on the banks of Loch Awe and therefore has one of the best outlooks I have enjoyed. Stunning. I was checked in efficiently and even upgraded to a Loch View room at no cost. Overall, the hotel proved to be very good value. Meals were very good and the evening entertainment was fun. Throughout, I found the staff to be very friendly and helpful, when allowed. My room was clean and comfortable but I would have liked tea on the complementary tray.

Herein lies the problem with this hotel. It is operated by the Lochs and Glens tour group and is almost exclusively set up to cater for their tour bus parties. In their striving to be efficient the hotel is almost regimented. for example, while eating dinner on evening 1 I was asked if I wanted tea or coffee FOR BREAKFAST. (seating was pre-allocated). Being unsure, I opted to wait until morning. No matter; tea was on my table (made up for shortage in room). anyway, I decided to extend my stay to 2 nights with no problems. Having done so, I was later told that, unfortunately, my 2nd day was tour bus turn over day. and this is where the hotel really gets it wrong. Breakfast was to be served AT 7a.m. with no optional times. There would be no real chioce (full cooked or scrambled egg) and I must check out by 8 a.m. to allow time for prep for the next tranch of tour buses!!! This is supposedly a Scottish Tourist Board 3 Star hotel which in my view means it should cater for and value ALL of its paying guests, not just those tied up in the owner's vertical market model. Great area, tired hotel, lovely staff but constrained to provide average service. Ssharpen up Lochs and Glens.

Room Tip: Loch view rooms are great but avoid those overlooking kitchen extention; fan noise and cooking smell...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

We saw Loch and Glends coaches everywhere while we were away with Woods on this trip: http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g190750-d562526-r116065610-Esplanade_Hotel-Dunoon_Argyll_and_Bute_Scotland.html At the time I found the giant coaches with their crowds of passengers a little off-putting but when I was looking for a Scottish coach firm to try this year, they seemed to be consistently well rated so I decided to take the plunge and give them a try and I'm very glad that I did!

My husband and I booked onto the 'Scenic Scotland' 5 day holiday. It was the shortest trip we could find as a taster and included a day's excursions to Iona and Mull. (I didn't realise that these only ran at certain times of the year so we were actually very lucky!) We were collected from Milton Keynes station at 6:30am - the directions for pick-up were vague but the coach distinctive. (If anyone else is looking for this information - you'll be picked up from the ranks of bus stops outside the railway station - NOT the bus station across the road!)

There were only 21 people on the coach so we immediately spread out with a seat to ourselves and clear views all around. The journey up to Scotland was fast and comfortable with enough stops although they tend towards the short side. Kev, our driver for the whole trip, was super. Informative and friendly, and ran a great 'caff' with teas, coffees and hot chocolate with a nice range of wee dram 'extras' to add to help keep the chill out! If I could make a recommendation it would be that a tray, storage net or cup holder on the back of each seat would have really helped during the long journeys.

The hotel itself is stunning both for its location and its outside appearance. A real fairy-tale castle look, perched up on the edge of beautiful Loch Awe commanding superb views of the loch, surrounding forests and nearby castle. Inside, the hotel is basic, appropriate for its age and well maintained. We were assigned to Room 12 which overlooked the loch and was clean and comfortable: nothing breathtaking apart from the view but you don't go on coach holidays for luxury! The presence of *mugs* rather than just tiny little tea-cups in the room was a really nice touch.

The food was generally good with just a couple of dishes that didn't work as well as others: again, coach holidays=mass catering so if you expect high-end cuisine you will be disappointed and we certainly never left the table hungry. I'm vegetarian and mainly had the salads: fresh, tasty and even made to order one night when I couldn't face the veggie main. (Reception staff were very happy to take care of that request - top marks.) For non-veggies, based on my husband's reports, I'd say stick to the meat+veg type plates rather than trying their more adventurous curries and the like. The bar was well-stocked, particularly with a good range of whiskies and helpful staff keen to assist with your choice.

In terms of other facilities: having wireless is great but a) any chance it could be extended outside the reception area and maybe into the bar/entertainment area and rooms? and b) you're now getting a large number of people bringing wifi-enabled devices on holiday and the speed of the router/data capacity was just not enough to keep up with all the people who wanted to use it. Extending the wifi and upping the speed would make lots of techies very, very happy and ensure you future proof your facilities as more people bring their technology on their holidays rather than leaving it at home.

One point that we did find somewhat alarming was the emphasis on norovirus: I can appreciate how dangerous an outbreak would be for business as well as dire for the folk involved but I've never encountered such a focus on this risk when staying away before. It's certainly well-meaning having the hand sanitation gel available at the entrance and emphasising it must be frequently used but is it really such a common problem?

Value for money is amazing: we found it hard to work out how the company manages to operate at the prices we paid for the week but we're certainly not complaining!

Overall we had an excellent trip and I will certainly be booking again. I quite fancy the shiny new Ardgarten hotel that we went past of the way home. Thanks to Kev and the hotel staff for a great week.

Room Tip: When I booked I asked if it was possible to request a loch view and was told they were allocated fir...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Loch Awe Hotel? Share your experiences!