“Paradise found again” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Dunmore Town
Doral
“Paradise found again”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

After a few years of frequenting Harbour Islands, I stayed for the first time at The Dunmore and to my surprise the place was much more than I anticipated. Their welcoming was awesome, (very Bahamian homey feeling), to the point that they already knew who we were even before we checked in. The bartender, Lynn, welcomed us along with the front desk person, Amy ,told us to sit back, relax and enjoy an island drink or cocktail. Little did Lynn knew she makes one the of finest "pina coladas" with "gin" drink in all of the Bahamas ! From Henry who wanted to make sure we were happy to Bob always keeping the atmosphere upbeat and Daniel at the beach, the place with its charm is one of the most relaxing gems of the caribbean, if not the best. Reason, I did not want to leave the grounds during our stay. And the food, excellent and appetizing and being able to have breakfast, unch or dine so close to the ocean added to the experience. In the states, I live on the ocean and I could compare and notice the difference. So far, to me, it does not get any better !

Room Tip: Limited rooms, all located on the grounds are quiet.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Staying at the Dunmore is like staying at a well heeled friend's guest cottage on their estate. The Dunmore combines the right amount of privacy and social interaction. Upon arrival the staff greets you warmly without a typical check in area. It feels like you are walking into someone's home. We had a deluxe garden view cottage which also had a view of the ocean, which was a nice surprise. The cottage was appointed well with a desk and bureau, but could have used an armchair or couch as the only seating were two wicker chairs. The king sized bed was extremely comfortable! The bathroom was huge with both a large shower and Jacuzzi tub. Our room was attended to twice a day for cleaning and turn down service. Monalisa attended to our room during our stay and was great. This beach is the best! The beach attendants were very attentive, setting me up every morning in my preferred spot. The restaurant is great as well. A good rival to Sip Sip for the lunch scene. I prefer the Dumore restaurant and food actually, for both lunch and dinner. You must have the artichoke dip! The whole staff was welcoming, Bob, Amy, Rasheeda and all! I've stayed at several places on HI and rented several homes, I think this will be my place to stay from now on. The only suggestion I have is that they get better loungers for the beach, it was hard to lie stomach down and read as the loungers have straps.

Room Tip: Yellow East is the cottage we stayed in. It is a deluxe garden view cottage, but you also get a vie...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

The Dunmore is a beautiful and luxurious intimate beach resort. The location is perfect, the rooms are spacious and very inviting, the bar and food outstanding...but best of all are the wonderful team that make it all happen. It really is like staying in a great friends cottage bit with all the services laid on. We loved it and came away fully relaxed.

The Island is as beguiling as the Dunmore. Whilst a little rustic in places, the open friendliness of the locals, the great choice of very good restaurants and the quirky and interesting shops made for a great destination rather than just being committed to one resort.

We loved Harbour island and The Dunmore. We've travelled a lot and stayed in many high end resorts and would rate this as highly as any we've enjoyed so far. Can't wait to return!

Room Tip: There's marginal difference between ocean view and garden. Our group stayed in both and next tim...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Spring Lake, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

Everything about this resort is the best...the beach, the food, but most importantly the people.
This was our 3rd trip to the Dunmore and we look forward each time to seeing people we now consider friends. Bob, Erica, Ann, Henry - thank you for all you do to make us feel so welcome when we return each year. This would just be another luxury resort without the hearts of these wonderful people, instead it is a uniquely special place.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

The Dunmore did it again! We had such a fantastic stay in 2012, that we came back in March 2014. Fabulous. The food, room, pool, beach...every aspect of the resort was top notch. But the service delivered by the wonderful staff is really what makes a stay there special. Really everyone is great - but extra kudos to Henry. More than a bartender - he is like an ambassador. Thanks to all of the staff!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

We recently stayed for our second time at the Dunmore Beach Hotel. Again, a wonderful experience with such a warm, welcoming and extremely attentive staff. The food is now the best on the island. The grounds are beautiful, well-maintained and the hotel's beach location makes this the place we'll return to again and again.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

Having enjoyed several delicious meals at the Dunmore's beautiful terrace restaurant overlooking the stunning pink sands beach on a previous visit to Harbour Island the hotel seemed the obvious choice for a long weekend at the beginning of February.

The hotel did not disappoint. Indeed it surpassed all my expectations and after four days I had to tear myself away with a tear in my eye.

The new general manager Mary and her amazing team create a welcome and sense of belonging that is hard to beat. The attention to detail is superb but it is the soul of the place created by the people who work there that is so magical. Bob, Rashida and Stephanie on the front desk, Erica and her many attentive colleagues in the restaurant, the chefs in the kitchen, Lynn and Henry at the bar and the wonderful Daniel on the beach all made us feel like family (as another reviewer has mentioned). I cannot imagine wanting to spend time in the sun anywhere else and having heard a few of Mary's ideas for the future I know that I shall want to return again and again.

To the detail. Our cottage was the most simple and yet it was beautifully appointed with all the towels, robes and toiletries you could desire. The room was tastefully furnished in the style seen throughout the hotel and a small terrace outside provided all the external space that was needed. The bathroom was on the small side but dressed beautifully in keeping with the room. The bath / shower was a little dated but I liked the fact that they had not just replaced it - when something works why fix it?

The restaurant were amazing when it came to managing my coeliac dietary requirements. Even flying in gluten free flour from Miami so that they could bake bread for me. Nothing was too much trouble and they even prepared me a lunch platter to take for the wait at North Eleuthera airport.

Dinner on Friday night was enlivened by a local band who played and sang at just the right level to entertain without drowning out conversation. They apparently normally play on Saturday but another guest was celebrating his birthday with a large group of friends and so the hotel had the band play on the Friday. That is the kind of thoughtful service that makes this place so special.

It's great to be able to write something so positive but the down side is that word will be out. If you want an exceptional level of service in this part of the world this is where you need to come. We dined out only once and despite choosing what we knew to be a fine restaurant the service was so disappointing by comparison to the Dunmore that we didn't venture out to eat again!

I will be back as soon as I can. No fancy new car for me this year just another trip or two to the Dunmore!

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to The Dunmore? Share your experiences!