“Home away from home” 5 of 5 stars
Review of ReefView Apartments

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cades Bay
ReefView Apartments
You added ReefView Apartments to your Saves list
Cades Bay, Antigua   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cades Bay
Montreal, Canada
“Home away from home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2011

The moment I read Karoll’s response to my inquiry, I knew I had found the jackpot!

Traveling solo, I was looking for a small apartment/cottage in a great location and where I would feel safe. The Beach Cottage at Reefview Apartments provided me with all of that and more! 14 days in the world of "no worry, be happy".

Very personable yet professional, Karoll and Nick are great hosts with a solid knowledge of this island – its people, culture and “must sees”.

I rented car for a few days (with Karoll's help) which was very convenient to visit English Harbor and Falmouth (South) as well as Half Moon Bay (East). Having said that, you can get to some amazing beaches, Jolly Harbor (convenient store) and St-John (main city) simply by hoping on the local bus (route 22). There too, I felt safe at all time.

2 major highlights of my stay were 1) a snorkeling excursion with Nick and Karoll (again, both very knowledgeable) and 2) a day trip to Barbuda which Karoll secured for me with Barbuda Express.

If you are not the "resort/all inclusive" type, well I highly recommend staying at Reefview Apartment for a home away from home. It offers all the comfort one needs and more!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
REEFVIEW, Owner at ReefView Apartments, responded to this review, May 6, 2011
Hi Stephanie,
Thanks so much for taking the time to give us some feedback on your stay with us at ReefView and I am glad you had such a good time with us - living like a local - in your own wooden beach shack!!
Hopefully you got yourself some good photos throughout your stay but particularly during the Sunday of the Classic Yacht Parade and the lunch at Catherine's Cafe with Karoll.
The Mount Gay Rum Party in advance of Antigua Sailing Week 2011 was a blast too - good burgers I recall!!
And as for the day afloat aboard Little Mermaid with snorkeling at Cades Reef and Carlisle Bay - well it just seemed perfect.
I am just about to publish the edited footage of your exhilarating snorkel charter with us onto YouTube so you can have that as a lasting memento of your stay in Antigua.
I am sure we can get you a crew place on a boat to race for next year if you fancied it....
warm regards and many thanks again for choosing ReefView!
Nick

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Dunstable, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2011

I feel compelled to write this after reading some of the negative reviews about Reefview Apts and the personal comments about Karroll herself.

I spent 10 days at Reefview in November 2010, along with my partner, two children, bother and sister in law and their two children. I can honestly say it was the best holiday any of us have ever had. Before even arriving we felt we knew Karroll due to the exchanges of emails in the run up to the trip, ok she may go into the ins and outs of everything, all possible cenarios covered but whats wrong with that, she's trying to make your stay in her home run as smoothly as possible.

Upon arrival at the airpot we were met my Karroll and taken to Reefview via the rainforest route.(my brother and sister in law flew in from Miami so were on a different flight so they hired a people carrier which we used to explore the island) She was a wealth of information about the island, the locals (we stopped at one of the roadside stalls where she purchased an avocado to put in our salad that night) along the way and by the time we arrived at Reefview where we were greeted by the most glorious sunset, we felt we knew WHERE WE WERE.

We had opted for the welcome bbq which Karroll and Nick hold in the garden of their own apartment. We all sat at a huge wooden table surrounded by greenery, tropical flowers, candles it was beautiful. The food was very welcomed after a long trip from the uk and was spot on. Nick was in charge of the bbq and produced the most delicious steak, fish and chicken. There was an adundance of corn on the cob, salad and jacket potaotes and Nick and Karroll ate with with us. It was like sitting down to dinner with some of your closest friends. A perfect start to a perfect holiday.

We had the seaview apt and the loft cottage and both were clean and well kept and contained all that you needed for your stay ie; cooking utensils for eating and cooking in, beach and bath/shower towels (not your handkerchief size ones) games for the children, books to read, buckets and spades, coffee maker i could go on. This is not a place where you are one of many visitors, this is a very personal set up, Nick and Karroll have their apt and there are three others all near each other, if you have a problem Nick and Karroll are there to help you. I suffered a bit of an allergic reaction to some mosquito bites and Karroll was there to help. Cleaning up my bites, rubbing cream onto them whilst I was clenching my teeth, it was like having your mum there.

A little way up the road is a bakers and a beer stop run by some lovely locals. No hushed voices and funny stares when you walk in just some of the most friendliest people i've ever met. There's also a bar where you can really experience a drink with the locals, they'll even give you and your vehicle a lift back if you find yourself to tipsy to drive (and you have no qualms that you'll come to any harm)

On the drive to the nearest main resort of Jolly Harbour there are some lovely beaches with white sands, palm trees and rolling surf where we found ourselves literally sharing them with a handful of other people. At times it was just us and it was absolute paradise.

Karroll and Nick are very loyal to the locals always advising to deal with them rather than the big men and it was with this in mind that we booked a boat trip with Captain Glen of Creole Cruises. A 42ft speedboat with the Captain and his two skippers and ten people including us. We were taken on a tour of part of the island, one of the skippers then doubled as a chef and was dropped on a tiny island to prepare lunch while we were taken to another to enjoy some snorkelling which was out of this world. Then back to where the chef had been left where we were greeted with wooden tables with tableclothes with the sea lapping around the bottomm of them, the smell of wood burning which had been used to cook the food and boy it was some food, i've never tasted lobster like it. There was salads, potato salad, pasta salad, chicken, fish and it was literally like heaven on earth. The kids were in their element jumping from the boat into the water and the Captain and his skippers could not have been more accommodating. It was the personal touch again, jjust like Karroll and Nick, that made the day.

I had a chat with a local one day and one of the things i asked him was why are there so few people around on the beaches. His explanation was that a very high percentage of rooms on Antigua are sold on an all inclusive basis and due to this people don't tend to leave their resort unless they are going somewhere in particular, so they eat and use the beaches in the resorts. Whether this is true I don't know but it makes sense and I'm so glad that we ended up at Reefview with the wonderful Karroll and Nick who are like locals themselves, ok Nick is very laid back (any more and he probably would be horizontal) and Karroll does like to talk, and talk and talk but if we hadn't had them I don't think we would have experienced the island in the way we did. Karroll and Nick have to safeguard themselves in the form of a deposit but if you respect their property and abide by certain requests then your deposit is returnable. We did leave the fans on in both apts one day all day, Karroll mentioned it when we returned and we made sure we didn't do it again, simple.

I would thoroughly reccommend Reefview and as soon as i have the money I'm there again. By the way Karroll is very good at returning items to you that you leave behind.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2011

My friend and I (both women in our late 20's) went to stay at ReefView with Karoll and her husband Nick, and had the garden apartment (there are 3 on the property). We absolutely loved it and had the greatest time. The apartment itself is fully furnished as any house would be, but, critical for self-catering purposes, had all the amenities: oven, dishes, utensils, equipment to cook in and cook with, and a few kitchen cupboard items as well, so we didn't have to buy a whole thing of salt! We were given the use of an ipod dock and a hairdryer as well, and there is a safe in the room. Mosquito coils and citronella candels were provided, and there were board games and extra books as well (and a good selection!!). Beach towels (and normal towels) are provided, as are coolers for bringing to the beach. Karoll provided us with an orientation of the island as well, and assisted us in getting our bearings during Sailing Week.

The location is perfect-- 30 min drive through the rainforest and past farm stalls from Nelson's Dockyard and English Harbor, and 10 minutes from Jolly Harbor. Amazing beaches are a 5 min drive away (the beach just next to the property is small and surrounded by reef, so is nice for walking but less good for sun bathing). There are public buses that run right up on the main road as well (a 2 min walk from the house) and these are easy to take. We had the welcome bbq (an extra $30 US per person) which was amazing and so tasty, and I followed the example a few days later with my own bbq dinner.

There are two dogs, a number of cats, and a blind parrot on the property as well, but if you didn't want to see them I don't expect they'd bother you (the parrot is hilarious though, and the dogs so friendly).

Karoll was great at helping us get situated with a rental car as well. She and Nick are friendly hosts and I'd stay again for next year's sailing week!

Room Tip: Not sure that there is a
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
REEFVIEW, Owner at ReefView Apartments, responded to this review, May 10, 2011
Dear Anna,
Thanks for taking the time out of your busy schedule to relate your stay at ReefView to others here on Trip Advisor.
Hope work didn't come as too much as a shock when you made it back home!!
With Antigua Sailing Week 20011 and Easter in full swing - you were always destined for an exciting time! As always Karoll and I were happy to help get you oriented, and even happier that you managed to get involved in some of the sailing itself - as well as the many associated parties around and about the place.
Hope to see you back here again..... with reinforcements perhaps??
There is still plenty more to do on Antigua and we definitely have to get you snorkeling next time.
warm regards
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2011 via mobile

I only stayed 2 nights as I was passing through from Anguilla. I was certainly glad I met Karoll & Nick and their lovely place.

It is not an ideal location if you want clubbing every night unless you like to pay the taxi all the time.

It is a place to absorb the miracles of nature, enjoy great food, hot sandy white beaches and the friendliness of the locals.
I already decided to go back next year for a full week and enjoy more the beautiful surroundings and baste knowledge and expertise about the fauna/flora and coral reefs.

• Stayed April 2011
REEFVIEW, Owner at ReefView Apartments, responded to this review, May 6, 2011
Thanks Mark,
Karoll and I really appreciate your kind words and certainly enjoyed having you here with us at ReefView - however briefly!! We sincerely hope to see you again in the near future - this time for an extended period so we can get you snorkeling from the boat out on Cades Reef, and show you even more of Antigua's natural treasures.
warm tropical regards,
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2011

Reefview exceeded my expectation completely! The hosts Karoll and Nick were super friendly, chatty and extremely helpful, especially when we had any questions about the island. Of course their extensive knowledge comes directly from having spend more than 2 decades living there!

My friend and I are single girls and so the cottage was the perfect choice as it gave us 2 double beds on the top floor overlooking Cades Bay. The island had this constant breeze so we almost never had to use the fans. The decor was very cute. It had everything you would need in a self catering cottage. The living area and kitchen was well equipped. The outdoor shower was a real gem and they also had a little outdoor area with table, chairs and a BBQ! The whole plot was surrounded by beautiful plants, ornaments and flowers. It was a bliss to wake up to every morning!

We were on the go a lot so we missed out on Karoll's amazing culinary skills. We had a little taster and regretted not having the time to try it out properly. I highly recommend eating in one night!

We went on a snorkelling trip organised by them where I managed to see a reef shark! The sea had the most amazing colours. Definitely give it a go if you like an adventure! All equipment are supplied but you should be a fairly good swimmer. The island has hundreds of beaches and with Karoll's suggestions we checked out a few of the most beautiful deserted beaches I have ever seen. Antigua will always be one of my more memorable holidays!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2011

Stayed here for a week with my husband and we loved it! The location is perfect...very close to the nicest beaches in the island - valley church bay, darkwood, turner etc. Nick and Karoll were the perfect hosts. Anything we ever needed they made sure we got. All the positive reviews are right on. Don't look elsewhere...you won't be disappointed!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Hertfordshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2011

My wife and I stayed at Reefview 12/3/2011 until 26/3/2011, what can we say? Didn't want to leave as Karoll & Nick are the most amazing hosts and Antigua is beautiful.
We are totally resort people and have never been to anything other than very good and recommended hotels/resorts so this was a very big step for us and one that we took after reading the reviews on tripadvisor. How glad we were that we did, as I said Karoll and Nick could not have been nicer and more accomodating from the moment we arrived to the second we left and we do feel as though we made two very good friends.

We stayed in the love shack for the first week and a half but transferred to the garden flat for the last few days purely because it became vacant and we wanted to see what it was like.Both the accomodation types are very clean and comfortable with their own individual charms. The love shak gives you the outdoor shower and a courtyard with a bbq as well as a really nifty set up internally all designed and built by Nick. The Garden flat has a lovely balcony with views out to the most amazing sunsets and is very spacious, airy and very well equiped.

Animals are also lovely and greet you whenever you arrive back after a day on the beach or touring the beautiful island. We will miss Ozzie and Jaba the dogs just as much as Karoll and Nick :-).

I would definately recommend hiring a car to get out and about on the island, I had a 4x4 as the roads are more dirt track than anything you will have been used to in the UK but go with it and enjoy the freestyle driving of Antigua. You will get bibbed by all the other drivers but it means hello or thankyou.

Our favourite beach was Darkwood just a 5 minute drive away but there are so many of them and so many places to visit. Jolly Harbour has some nice restaurants with our fav being Mellini's, the ginger chicken is the best.

I have loads of pictures showing the accomodation etc and am happy to be contacted for any further information.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to ReefView Apartments? Share your experiences!