Am not going to write chapter and verse but have to say that if you are going to the Scilly Isles for the first time, you can't get a better location than Tregarthens. It is the first hotel nearest St Mary's harbour where all the boatmen depart on trips all over the islands. And when I say close, I mean less than 60 seconds walk!
We stayed here on a B&B basis as wanted freedom to eat out and about which was a good decision. However, we felt obliged to eat in the hotels restaurant the first night to try it out. Not bad but the not the best I've eaten. However, I can't be too critical as the menu does change daily and the staff are most friendly and give excellent service.
We were upgraded free to a sea view room from a basic room (thank you very much Tregarthens). The room was compact but had the said sea view albeit over a long flat roof. However, you could not complain with such a view! My only slight criticism was that the bathroom was probably the most compact I have ever stayed in. I would say that the bath should go and be replaced with a shower cubicle when next upgraded. The facilities in the room were excellent - iron/ironing board, good quality hair dryer, tea / coffee making facilities etc.
Overall, I would most certainly recommend Tregarthens. But would suggest that you stay on a B&B basic as there are some excellent local restaurants to visit - see below.
You must go to High Tide restaurant on St Agnes. One of the best meals I have ever eaten. Catch the supper boat at 6pm from the harbour. Book the table for 6:30pm. The boat departs St Agnes back to St Mary's at 9pm sharp! You must book in advance!
You must go to The Pilots Gig. Less than one minutes walk from Tregarthens. We had a fantastic meal there and the service was excellent.
You must go Spero's. Well worth a visit. The view at sunset are outstanding and food is great.
Enjoy The Scilly Isles!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A warm welcome….With Outstanding sea views and the best position on St Mary’s, just yards from the Quay. Tregarthen’s Hotel is the perfect base for a truly unforgettable holiday or short break.• Outstanding views• High quality accommodation• Family rooms• Close to the town and quay• Delicious food served all day• Garden Terrace and Patio• Lounge and Cocktail Bar• Conservatory Lounge• Evening restaurant• Private Dining and Functions• Free Wi-fi for all patronsOverlooking the clear waters of St Mary’s Harbour and enjoying stunning panoramic vistas of the islands of Treso, Bryher, Sampson and St Martins, Tregarthen’s boats the best views of any hotel on St Mary’s. All of our bedrooms are recently refurbished, many of which have breath taking sea views and can accommodate family’s. With St Mary’s Quay on our doorstep, a lounge, restaurant and an elegant garden terrace and patio overlooking the ocean there is no better place to experience the unspoilt beauty of Scilly.Delicious food is served all day. Our restaurant specialises in classic English cuisine with a contemporary twist using fresh local produce wherever possible, the same restaurant in which Her Majesty The Queen and Prince Phillip enjoyed lunch.So if your craving peace, tranquillity and relaxation in an unspoilt paradise – be our guest! Our experienced reception team will be delighted to arrange your stay and journey to the islands. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline and Odigeo so you can book your Tregarthen's Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tregarthens Hotel St Marys
- Tregarthen's Hotel Hugh Town, United Kingdom