“Afternoon tea excellent quality food but poorly executed service” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Badgers Rake Lane, Ledsham CH66 8PF, England   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Ledsham
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Afternoon tea excellent quality food but poorly executed service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

I booked afternoon tea for myself and my mother last week. I initially called the manor two days beforehand and asked if it was necessary to make a reservation (for mid week) and was told yes. However, when we arrived, there was only one other table occupied on the large terrace outside and nobody sitting inside at all. Upon arrival, we were greeted by the receptionist who was very pleasant and efficient. She took my name, showed us through to the outside terrace and told us Matthew (the waiter?) would be with us shortly. We then proceeded to sit at the table for more than 10 minutes and during this time, not a member of staff came outside, let alone to offer us menus and to serve us. In the end, I had to return to the reception desk to ask them to send somebody out to us. When the waiter did come to us, before taking our order he asked if either of us had any allergies or had preference for white or brown bread which I felt was a nice touch. Due to a number of wasps being present on the terrace (which is only natural on a lovely summery day and being close to flower beds) and us seeing the other table struggling to keep the wasps away, we decided to move inside to have tea. at which point another waiter came to the table to repeat our order and to make sure it was correct.

Although the room we sat in for afternoon tea (directly off the terrace) did still have many of its original features, I felt that it lacked any real ambiance, warmth or character and actually felt quite depressing and dull as it was ultimately a monotone of faded red/burgundy furniture and heavy oak doors and panels - it would have benefited greatly from a vase of fresh flowers or a splash of alternative colour, even the addition of some quiet classical background music to brighten the atmosphere and provide a more conducive environment for afternoon tea.

We both ordered a cafetiere of fresh coffee which arrived in a large, singular stainless steel 'canteen' style pot. The crockery was more practical and thicker than the delicate china I had imagined would be used. We probably then waited a further 10 minutes for the afternoon tea to arrive, the waiter apologised for it being late and told us it was due to the fact that the chef had been waiting for the shortbread to come out of the oven. Afternoon tea was served on a traditional style cake stand and consisted of a selection of tuna mayonnaise, egg mayonnaise and grated cheese and pickle sandwiches. There were two small sandwiches of each variety per person except for the egg sandwich where they were one short! Although I again had been expecting a more traditional selection, i.e. smoked salmon, cucumber, I have to say, the sandwiches were incredibly fresh and generously filled. The cake stand also held a small chocolate brownie, thin slice of fruit cake, a piece of freshly baked shortbread and scone per person - the shortbread and scone still being warm from the oven. The quality of the food was excellent, but again the overall experience was let down by the execution of and absence of all the little finishing touches. For example, there was no separate plate for the cakes/scones, no knives or spoons to cut the scones and to spread jam and cream. As there was no sign of a waiter, I had to again go back to the reception to let them know we didn't have any cutlery and to ask for some to be brought to us. At the end of the tea, again there was no waiter or member of staff around whom we could ask for the bill - so yet again, I had to go back to reception to ask for the bill and then go to the bar to pay it. Not once during tea did a waiter or indeed anybody come to our table to see how everything was or if indeed we would like further drinks, which would have been nice and to honest, expected . The whole experience somehow just felt very unpolished and flat and lacked the little traditions one associates with taking afternoon tea and I am not sure if this is down to the lack of training or commonsense of the particular waiting staff on duty that day.

After we finished tea, we asked at reception if we could view some of the rooms - the lady that showed us around was most helpful and really pleasant and we did get the opportunity to see other parts of the manor, the main dining room oozed character and I could imagine it would would have a really good buzz and atmosphere for dinner, the grounds were truly magnificent.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Susie R, Director of Sales at Inglewood Manor, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Hi Ladyonhertravels
Thank you so much for your truly comprehensive review of your afternoon tea experience with us. It is really frustrating not to have ticked all the boxes for you, as there are some areas which you very fairly point out were lovely (mainly the food), and some which clearly failed to meet your expectations for which we are truly sorry.

We will certainly revisit our training for the restaurant team, and I will double check that the music that would normally be playing quietly in the background is switched on (as it should have been during your visit).

You list your address as Dubai, but if you are ever back in the area, do get in touch with me and come and see us again and we will endeavor to 'Wow' you next time!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Cheshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

Want to say a big 'Thank You' to all the staff at Inglewood Manor who have looked after me whilst away from home on business at various times over the past 2 years.

During my time at this beautiful rural hotel I have held successful Team Development days in the glorious oak panelled executive room, seen many a wedding party being entertained in exquisite style, explored the peaceful gardens in summer, seen lavish decorations during the Christmas period and enjoyed the wonderful breakfasts and dinners.

The staff are all a credit to the hotel and nothing is ever too much for them to do for the customer.

The 'icing on the cake' was been the kindness shown to me by staff at my final stay last week when I invited some colleagues to join me for my 'leaving do' from work. Everyone thought their rooms reflected the luxury of the building, the food divine and the staff extremely thoughtful.

This hotel is a real gem; perfect for the business person, romantic setting for couples and peaceful for families who want to spend time together.

Room Tip: Look out for special offers on 'Fantastic Friday' when a wedding is not booked or the specia...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Hi Jane
It's been an absolute pleasure to have you stay with us over the last couple of years, and all the team will miss you. Don't be a stranger!
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

We stayed for one night last Saturday evening in this hotel. We needed a stopover on our way back from the Scottish Highlands and we wanted to stay somewhere decent about halfway back to the South Coast. We paid £150 for our room plus dinner.

Upon arrival around 7pm we realised very quickly that the entire hotel - literally everyone else apart from the two of us, was at the wedding which was going on. It does state on the website that it is a busy wedding venue and I have no problem with this had there been a mix of guests - however it was just the two of us and the wedding party. We did not feel comfortable sitting in the communal areas as there was a swarm of either wedding guests or staff moving furniture (we arrived at the time when the day wedding was finishing and they were preparing for the evening reception).

We were shown to our room - 25 - which was fine and to be fair to the hotel, they had placed us in the farthermost corner away from the reception and the band playing. We could not hear any noise from the reception, however we were woken up three times during the night by drunken and noisy wedding guests shouting outside our room.

We went down to the bar prior to dinner. We both felt there was a poor choice of drinks available - only one weak ale and limited soft drinks. I asked for a glass of sparkling water and was told I couldn't have one as they were only served in large bottles. As I'm not drinking alcohol at the moment this miffed me as there was nothing else I wanted to drink that didn't contain calories (and I could see that the coffee came out of a cheap machine).

We were told that dinner could be served to us from 7.30pm - a very efficient member of staff (a girl with black eyeliner - sorry don't know her name) came out to us on the veranda with our menus and also told me that of course I could have the glass of water. She took our order and then we were shown through to the restaurant.

In the restaurant there was just us and another couple (who were apparently having dinner prior to joining the evening reception). Given that the whole room was empty apart from four people, all of us were squashed into two adjacent tables which afforded neither couple any privacy.

I ordered pate for starters, which was very good, however my main course was poor. Had I not been so exhausted from our long road trip (8 hours) I would have sent it back, however I could see that attention was on the wedding rather than us, and I decided to try the crab ravioli and see how it was. This dish was edible but needs improvement - management if you are reading - the crab should be tasty, the ravioli should be light, and the sauce should not be split with an overjuicing of lemon.

After dinner we retreated to our room, which was fine as we were tired, although the mattress was too soft for our personal liking. The bathroom was nicely decorated and had Molton Brown products (firmly attached to the wall) although was lacking in any moisuriser, which was the one thing I really needed. The shower continuously ran hot and cold for both of our showers, although there were plenty of fluffy towels. We also could not get the hotel wifi to work on any of our devices (fortunately the 3G was just about working).

I had been looking forward to a room service breakfast as we had been staying with friends and family for the preceding 10 days and for £150 a night, I expected it would be available. Unfortunately this is not possible, room service does not start until 11am (except for an early checkout with a continental breakfast). Given the wedding party, we really would have liked some privacy but instead we had to go down to breakfast - where we had to wait for a table as the room was full. My husband says the cooked breakfast was very good, although I found the coffee weak.

Overall, I was irritated by all of these small niggles and was glad to leave in the morning. Our experience was not worth the cost of the room or dinner. I'm a firm believer in giving feedback at the time, however we were there for such a short while and clearly the wedding party was more of a priority, that I did not on this occasion, as I was exhausted from travelling and just didn't have the energy to complain.

I can only speak as we found the stay, however don't let this put you off as it is clearly a good hotel in general. If you're a couple staying at the weekend, I would definitely check that you're not going to find yourselves like fish out of water - had the hotel contacted us to say that it would be us and the wedding party, then we would have found somewhere else to stay ahead of time.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Susie R, Director of Sales at Inglewood Manor, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Hi Woganmog
Thank you so much for your very comprehensive review of your stay with us, which seems to have been somewhat blighted by the wedding taking place at the same time. We do try very, very hard to make sure that every one of our guests is aware when a wedding is happening, and I believe you were made aware at the time of booking, however, it is not possible to let every guest know how many other guests are staying who are not attached to the wedding as we do not know ourselves until the day.

Please rest assured that wherever possible that we have noted and acted upon each of the issues you have raised with us, with a view to ensuring they do not occur again in the future.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

Just come back from a lovely stay at Inglewood Manor.We stayed here on the 4th September.Had a lovely comfortable stay in a cosy double room it was really peaceful and clean and spacious. The service in reception was 1st class and they were so helpful and friendly. They even helped us save money by offering us tickets for Chester Zoo at a discounted price, the lady on reception was so helpful with directions and even drew on the map the best way around Chester Zoo.The hotel and the grounds were absolutely beautiful and the fishing lake area was really pretty. Overall couldnt recommend this hotel enough will definitely be going back again absolutely wonderful stay!:)

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Susie R, Director of Sales at Inglewood Manor, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Hi aleasha2012
Sounds like you had a lovely time with us, I'm so glad we were able to help out with Zoo tickets etc. I'll pass on your regards to the whole team, but especially our Receptionists as they really try very hard to give all our guests the warmest of welcomes, and it sounds like they really hit the jackpot with your stay!
Irvine, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Stayed here on 29th August for one night. Lovely setting and beautiful hotel inside and out. All staff we encountered were very pleasant and friendly and couldn’t have done more for us. Nothing was a trouble. Room was a good size, lovely décor which was immaculately clean, as was the rest of the hotel. Nice view overlooking the gardens. Food was excellent. Situated not too far from Chester itself. Would definitely stay here if in the area again and would have no hesitation in recommending to others. Thank you for an excellent stay.

Room Tip: We had a top floor room which was very warm, however, it was exceptionally warm weather when we stay...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi Tinkerbell2011
What a brilliant review, thank you. I'll be sure to pass on your kind comments to the whole of the team, and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Londonderry northern ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I spent two nights at this beautiful hotel , where the ambiance was first class and the Manor building and ground are beautiful .
Our bedroom ,number one , was a beautiful room which overlooked a wonderful garden with lovely flower beds.
Huge bed ,room super clean, nice en suite but no face cloths which I expected, we had towelling gowns and plenty of towels, so maybe this was just a slip up.
The decor is in lovely taste.

The breakfast was fair , although if the orange juice had been freshly squeezed , I would have judged good.

A choice of porridge made with water or milk is a nice touch.
Our evening meals were not as good as I would have expected and if we return , I think we will eat out. Miss Hunter was most attentive , same name no relation.
So would highly recommend for Bed and Breakfast , but too be fair very few hotels I find have first class food and this was the case at the Manor.

• Stayed September 2013
Hi Shirtmaker46
Thanks for the lovely review. Room 1 is gorgeous isn't it, with those beautiful windows and 2 lovely views?
I'm glad that you enjoyed your breakfast overall, but will be asking chef to look into our orange juice supplier, as I agree with you it should be freshly squeezed.
With regards to dinner, I'm both surprised and sorry that it did not meet your expectations, as we really do get some wonderful feedback about the food here (see the review before yours, who describes her dinner as 'epic'!). Perhaps next time you come and see us you might give us the chance to really 'wow' you with our cuisine?
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

I was brought to Inglewood Mannor as a surprise for our anniversary we have enjoyed a fantastic 3 night stay here and I don't want to leave!! It's ideal for sightseeing and the staff are more than happy to give you ideas of where to go. The breakfast was awesome and the dinner that we had was truly epic! I would definitely reccomend Inglewood to friends and family and will definitely be coming back. Thank you to all of the staff that made our stay so perfect!!

• Stayed August 2013
Susie R, Director of Sales at Inglewood Manor, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Hi AmandaandSimon1
What an utterly fabulous review! We're delighted you had such a brilliant anniversary - it sounds like you had a really lovely stay. Thanks so much for your feedback and do come back and see us again very soon.

Been to Inglewood Manor? Share your experiences!