“Enjoyable stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Ledsham
Warrington, Cheshire
“Enjoyable stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

My partner and I stayed at the Craxton Wood overnight and made use of the spa facilities as well as just relaxing.

I had originally booked for the end of November but due to illness we asked to rearrange explaining the situation and they kindly moved us to the end of January on the same offer that I had booked. On arrival at the hotel the receptionist was very professional and thorough and we were given the keys to our room.

The rooms are well thought out with complimentary toiletries in the bathroom, coffee/tea/biscuits and water in the bedroom. We took advantage of requesting extra milk as you just get a couple of the standard pots, and this arrived promptly. Room had double bed, side tables, side lamps, settee, coffee table, dressing table and 2 chairs. Very clean and no problem with hot water.

Areas for improvement in room for me would be better lighting especially at the dressing table, and it would be nice not to have one of the in-built hairdryers that you have to constantly hold to work. They aren't very good and a 4 star hotel should really have something better.

In the spa my partner made use of the gym and said it was very well equipped, although quite cold so you needed to get moving! Reasonable sized swimming pool, sauna good, but steam room was broken. Not massive changing rooms so timing is key as was busy when I went in, but they did also have about 3 cubicles. Small cafe in the spa area, and nice comfy seating area.

We had booked massages so experienced the spa and the rooms and treatments were great.

The dinner was plentiful and the restaurant staff very friendly. One point here for us is that I don't like to have someone stand over me whilst we are discussing which wine to have, and I think the foreign waiter did finally get the message.

Breakfast was great and the blond waitress (sorry don't know her name - everton supporter!) was very friendly and we had some great banter with her. Good selection of cereals, fruit, ham/cheese, pastries, etc and the cooked breakfast was excellent. The staff made sure you had enough coffee and toast.

Overall another excellent stay. It is evident to us that the Macdonald chain have a high customer service standard which is consistent through the hotels we have stayed in. We noticed yet again that everyone talks to you, and staff stop when you approach and wait for you to pass before continuing.

In terms of spa facilities this doesn't have the same variety as other Macdonald hotels such as The Portal and Hill Valley, so if going for a spa weekend I would just check that this fits what you are looking for.

I would once again like to thank Chris at reception for changing our booking due to my partners illness as I was told when I originally booked that it was non-transferrable. Common sense prevailed and I thank you for this.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
MK1NG, General Manager at Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Dear Sue,

Thank you for your review and your kind words on Chris at reception. I will pass on your comments to him and the rest of the team. It is good to read of your experience in the spa. I can gladly inform you tha the steam room is all up and running.

It is great to read that our resident Everton supporter supplied the banter and customer service and you enjoyed your breakfast experience.

I will look at your point raised at lighting in the bedrooms and see what improvements we can make.

Once again thank you for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back

Yours sincerely

General Manger

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Holywell, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

Stayed for a one night spa break as a package. Very nice hotel . Bedrooms spacious with fresh milk and ice delivered to your room as needed - lovely touch . Staff exceptionally friendly and helpful. The breakfast and dinner were lovely. Well presented food which was freshly cooked with quality ingredients. Had two spa treatments included which were very relaxing. Treatments need to be booked in advance before your stay. Nice swimming pool, but could do with more seating. A little disappointed as there was no Jacuzzi, as now most spas seem to have them.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Sue,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the hotel and your experience at our spa.
It is great to read about the hospitality you received and the customer service. Great feedback on the restaurant and the food in our award winning restaurant.

We are currently working on plans for the extension of our spa facilities - exciting times ahead.
I look forward to sharing our plans shortly

Kind regards,

Lancaster, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

We stayed for one night on 31st December for the hotel's New Year's Eve Dinner and Ball with a group of friends and family. I genuinely can't fault anything, from the venue to the staff to the rooms - but the thing that impressed us most of all was the food. Having found mass-catered events to be a bit hit-and-miss in the past, we weren't expecting too much. But all of the courses were absolutely perfect and every dish tasted as though it had been prepared for you alone.
Our room was not one of the refurbished ones, but was still very pleasant - not to mention enormous - and the hotel's facilities were great. The staff on the front desk were lovely and friendly, even on a very busy night, and the breakfast was good. I would stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Bea,

Thank you for your review. It is great to read you had an excellent stay over New Year and the food surpassed your expectations. The team will take pride in your feedback which I will share especially the reception team.

See you next year if not sooner.

Kind regards

Wirral
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

We got married at this hotel in May 13. The staff are absolutely fantastic especially the wedding coordinator Karen. The Craxton Suite is spacious and bright with a large dance floor. The food was excellent and we have received lots of compliments from our wedding guests. Would highly recommend getting married at this hotel. The wedding coordinator is very experienced and not pushy - really helped make our day perfect. X

Room Tip: Clean, comfortable and peaceful
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Chester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

Everything about our Christmas break was wonderful.. From the delicous mulled wine and mince pie on arrival at the hotel, our room over looking the gardens was very spacious and spotlessly clean which was worth the upgrade charge to have the bathrobes, slippers and the gorgeous smelling toiletries. It was the first time we had been away over Christmas and I was concerned that Christmas lunch may not be up to my high standard.. but we were bowled over. The staff are welcoming, professional and polite in all departments of the hotel. We would definately recommend this hotel and hope to visit again during the year.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Chester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

This package was supposed to have been a treat for my sons’ partners. When I booked the package I was told that the therapist would meet us, show us round and organise the treatment for us. I was also told we would have use of the facilities and that lunch would be included.

On arrival we were asked to take a seat in the lounge. We sat there for about 10 minutes, a therapist then appeared to discuss the treatments and to leave us with some forms to complete (she told us they had just been photocopied). One form was about the lunch choices and we selected the time -1pm.

Instead of being shown round together, my sons’ partners were taken to the treatment rooms and, as my treatment was booked for 45 minutes later, I was shown round the treatment section and the door to the pool area was pointed out. The treatments we received were good, however my sons’ partners were in a cold room and the one having the back massage was not offered a blanket.

After my treatment, I went to the pool area to join the other two. A class was in progress and the music was at disco volume. We were unable to relax by the pool and we could not hear ourselves speak. It was impossible to swim a length. Most of the pool was cordoned off for the class and there were a couple of groups at the end of the remaining section joining in.

Lunch was served in the lounge. We did not take our time over it as the lounge was really cold; we decided to have a coffee at home rather than to stay any longer.

When I expressed my disappointment to the manager, she was immediately on the defensive. I did not mention the cost but I was given a 15% discount and thanked for my feedback.

This package was supposed to have been a treat for my sons’ partners. Rather than a relaxing experience it was more of an endurance test. The experience could have been improved with some staff time at the beginning, better organisation and better heating. If we had known about the exercise class, which seemed to last for about an hour, we would have organised to eat earlier.

The package was not cheap and 15% discount did not in any way make up for the fact that I felt I had wasted my money.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Los Cristianos, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

Just returned from Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel; from the welcome we received on arrival from the receptionist to checking out, the service was excellent. The staff we encountered were attentive, polite and very much concerened that everything was to our satisfaction. The rooms were clean and comfortable, the dinner on New Year's Eve was very good and the atmosphere at the party made for a very enjoyable evening. The breakfast was more than sufficient; very good selection of cereals, fresh fruit, croissants and the full English was delicious, again the staff couldn't have been more attentive in making sure we had everything we needed, tea, coffee, toast etc.
Also, I lost a bracelet during the evening, not an expensive item but one which I was fond of. I enquired at the end of the evening about this and the young man on Reception assured me that he would leave a message about it in case it had been found. On checking out, I enquired again and was advised that the message had been passed on, the bracelet found and was there waiting for me. Wonderful service!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!