“Lovely !!!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Lovely !!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

Great food and beer ,very friendly .Been many times always can guarantee a good meal ,service can be slow when it's busy .

Visited August 2013

Preston
“Dead flies, inedible food, miserable staff”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

Not only is this the first review I've ever written, my visit to The Eagle and Child was the only time I've ever refused to pay for a meal.

It didn't bode well from the start. The female waitress was unbelievably moody, the tables weren't clean, and there were tens of dead flies on the windowsil near the table. The food itself probably wasn't literally inedible: a pig could have eaten it, or even a human being at the point of a gun. But you wouldn't eat it for pleasure. The potatoes were under-cooked and the meat over-cooked. All tasteless. Surely a difficult combo to achieve in and of itself.

It's laughable that they have gastro pub pretensions (and prices). Whoever cooked my meal at 6 on a Sunday can't be a cook.

I've been forced to write this because my girlfriend wouldn't let me complain. So being a gentleman of no little repute I went and sat in the car for twenty minutes and let her finish alone and pay for the whole. She says she told them I wasn't paying and they deducted the meal, but I don't believe her.

Don't go. I didn't even complain when The Robin Hood Inn gave me gastroenteritis via a pork loin infested with campylobecter.

• Visited August 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“Great service shame about the meal...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I had an evening meal here on a fairly busy Sunday. We were shown to our table by an energetic and friendly guy, Edmund, who we assumed was the manager, but later found that he isn't. He really made the whole evening for us to be honest, if we'd have had poor service and a poor meal I'd have walked out. My wife had steak and ale pie which we sent back because it was cold in the middle and I had the grey and tasteless lamb. Very disappointed with the meal as we had been expecting more. This pub's only saving grace is the excellent customer service and atmosphere. Our complaint about the meal was dealt with quickly and professionaly by the waiter. We'd return for a drink but definitely not the food.

• Visited August 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“improved greatly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

having had 2 previous mediocre meals here, we decided to give it a final last chance as we love the venue and the home farm shop next door. I am pleased to report something has changed as it was back to how we remember it prior to the 2 poor visits. duck and chorizo salad to start with to share which was great, followed by lamb rump for my wife and breast of pigeon for myself which both dishes were excellent!! hand pump beers as good as ever with a great selection plus a nice front of house gent we have not previously seen who knew what he was doing.definitely will be returning again shortly and hopefully if they keep it at this level it will be back in the good books and a regular haunt again! keep it up !

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Improved! Thankfully.....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

We love the Eagle & Child as a pub and the home farm shop next door but we have had 2 bad meals....
However today we thought we would give it one last chance...... We went for lunch and thankfully things were back on form to old style great food. We shared the duck starter and had the pigeon and rump lamb for mains. Really pleased with food, service and its a great olde world pub for atmosphere..... Great!

• Visited September 2013