“Great staff in faded hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel & Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Parkgate Road, Mollington, Chester CH1 6NN, England   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Mollington
South Shields
“Great staff in faded hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2011

The manager is very hands on and the staff, who all appear to be locals, are cheerful and very well trained - this makes the stay so much more pleasant than other 'chain' hotels we've stayed in. The rooms are very clean but a bit dated. The food was good as was service. We didn't use the Spa but it looked very appealing. The hotel guide in the room was charming - written in a conversational style, presumably by the chatty Irish manager. Brook need to spend a bit on updating - particularly the televisions and the noisy aircon/heating in the rooms. But we would certainly go back and stay again if in the Chester/North Wales/Liverpool area - all of which are easily reached by car.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
Northampton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2011

Okay, I have just written this out once and lost it all so I'm going to be even more moody now.
Right so basically, massive disappointment. Luckily, we had a Buyagift.com package so we didn't pay full price or else we would have been even more gutted, and we were also really jolly so we still had a good weekend anyway, but that was in no way because of the hotel.
First off, the location. Shocking. It was sold to us a countryside manor, and seeing as there was a massive Morrisons about a 2 minute drive away, I think it's pretty obvious how true that was. So we drive up to it and we see the sign. Oh my God. We both just started laughing in disbelief. The front of the hotel needs a dramatic facelift, it's very disappointing. It looks a bit like an old people's home I hate to say it. Anyway so we get in and there's a nice bar to be fair. We went to our room on the first floor and immediately had to be changed: there were stains on the bed, 2 curly black hairs in the sink and toenails scattered round the bin.
On the plus side, we were moved without a problem, although the woman did tell us "we've moved you upstairs, the rooms are a bit nicer there" meaning they obviously knew the downstairs rooms were no good. We get up to the new room to be greeted by a cobwebbed bathroom and a nice view of our car, but we didn't complain again because we can put up with a few cobwebs. Don't like to be too much of a moaner.
Other little letdowns include the pool; I thought it was a big one but it's not at all. At least there is one I suppose. There were just loads of little bodged bits, like wallpaper peeling at the edges and put on horizontally and painted over, painted over bits of tape on the pillars, a caved in floorboard at the top of the staircase, stuff like that. Oh and we were given plenty of complimentary tea bags and coffee, brilliant, nice one. Shame we weren't given a kettle but hey ho, we had a hot shower!
On the plus side, the breakfast was pretty tasty despite the lack of beans which made it feel a bit incomplete. Nice fat sausages though. And the cutest little jam pots in the world.
I really hate to be a moaner but I just needed to warn you. Take no notice of the pictures on their website, because when you get there you'll think you've gone to the wrong place if that's what you're going by.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Mollington hotels

Northampton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2011

This is a four star hotel which should be a two star, staff excellent, food bad, accomodation tired and in need of updating, spa and pool area could do with a facelift, Gym only place that is modern.

Huddersfield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2011

Me and my partner have just got back from this hotel, and were absolutley dissapointed. As we drove into the car park, the first thing we saw was the fact that it looked like a council house, absolutley nothing appealing about the front of the building at all, we both just looked at each other and thought... great. But thinking never judge a book by its cover we walked into the building, to be "greeted" by a girl on reception, when i say greeted, i mean i smiled at her, and she turned around and whispered something to the other girl ar reception, which made her raise her head?! and then after me saying hello first, she then said hello?! whilst checking us in and talking to me and my partner the phone rang, she never excused herself, she just proceeded to talk on the phone and leaving us standing there for about 5 mintues. I do realise how important phone calls are for a receptionist, but atleast excuse yourself. Then we made our way up to the room, which is all i could describe it as was average. Nothing exciting at all. we were staying for two nights, and had paid for two nights, to find we had been left with the cups being dirty, i had to wash them both before i made my cup of tea, and after boiling the kettle finding out there was only one tea bag, one decaff coffee, and one regular coffee!? one of each for two people is disgraceful!?! should of complained really at the time, but didn't want to spoil things for my partner. After chilling out after our drive there we put the tv on to find we only had 8 channels, but is advertising itself to have satellite...? I don't think that quite counts!! Then just to add insult to injury, our neighbour snore his head off, it sounded like he was in our room! either this guy was a loud snorer, or the walls are paper thin!? The best thing about this place was the location, which was perfect for what we wanted. Other wise i don't know where AA were looking to award 4star, because even the spa was just a standard busy swimming pool!? Enough of my rant, i was just so dissapointed!!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
ChesterManager, General Manager at Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 31, 2011
I am so sorry you did not enjoy your stay at Mollington Banastre
Please be assured I will discuss your expierence with all the staff particurlary the reception and house keeping team.
I too am very dissapointed in the service you have recieved and let me assure you this is not the normal standard at Mollington .
Birmingham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2011

I visited this hotel on a New Year package (dinner/disco and two nights B&B) and for £170 each we were very satisfied. If I'd paid top notch rates, I would have expected more.

Good points:
- helpful, friendly staff
- location (2 miles from Chester city centre)
- leisure club
- good quality food, good coffee :)
- large rooms

Not so good:
- this hotel is clearly run on a tight budget and they seem to have cut corners on decor and maintenance (not a big issue for the price I paid though)
- breakfast could have offered more choice (especially for vegetarians). I enjoyed the sauteed mushrooms on day one, but these had disappeared on the second day! Orange juice was from concentrate
- the swimming pool water had a strange taste, but looked clean otherwise

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
ChesterManager, General Manager at Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 18, 2011
and thank you for the positive points
I will discuss your comments about the breakfast with the chef
also on the pool water, we test the ph and clorine levels every 4 hours so I dont think there is any thing to worry about .
Mairead and team
Ellesmere Port, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2010

Where to start with this lovely hotel, i was truely looking forward to staying in chester with my partner as we had previously been recommended this hotel by a friend.

But our stay was significantly better than we had expected, with a fantastic spa area, a great gym and swimming pool combination as well as hard working staff that made sure our stay was the best it could have been we were well and truely blown away considering the price we had paid.

I would definatley recommend this hotel to anybody as although our trip was in the cold month of november we were made to feel warm and welcomed by everybody within the hotel.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back to Mollington
Manchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2010

Very disappointed

My husband and I were looking forward to a nice stay in this four star hotel, I was very disappointed though. The room and furniture was very worn and dated, stains on carpets, noisy heater blowing and old tv set. The worst part was the bed; we could feel the springs coming through the mattress. I did tell the reception staff but they just told me sorry were fully booked and that they have recently replaced mattresses; I thought these must have been very cheap mattresses which they bought.

I wouldn’t stay at this hotel again, although I would use the facilities there and the breakfast was good. If you’re looking to book a four star accommodation and expect better than a budget room, you would do better to look elsewhere.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
ChesterManager, General Manager at Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, December 23, 2010
I am sorry you had an uncomfortable nights sleep ,
I am delighted to inform you we are replacing our beds and also our television system in the new year
I am very pleased you enjoyed our leisure facilities and breakfast

Mairead and Team

Been to Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!